Is it OK for me to play Battlefield 5?

InTrench

Hi, I recently purchased Battleifeld 5, and I like it, but there’s an outfit for the medic class called “Holy Ghost.” Is it ok for me to play this game? Should I avoid medic class? Should I just not use the outfit. Answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Why would it not be ok for you to play the game or a particular class because it has an outfit called 'Holy Ghost'?

@Elader Arkon could you elaborate a bit more? I have a friend whose kid is just now getting into games and the dad is struggling with these types of issues in allowing his kids to play and I'm not always sure how to answer this one because it is appropriating a christian understanding and nomenclature to suite the game for profit and change the meaning to something violent.

At least in terms of children playing, if you're ok with your child killing people in a violent and graphic manner (like, say, in a war like Battlefield V), chances are you're confident that your child has the proper moral compass and intelligence to know that something being called 'Holy Ghost' is not representative of Christianity or even related in any way other than the name, in the same way you are confident them playing the game isn't going to twist their mind and make them want to go out and kill people in real life.

At least in terms of children playing, if you're ok with your child killing people in a violent and graphic manner (like, say, in a war like Battlefield V), chances are you're confident that your child has the proper moral compass and intelligence to know that something being called 'Holy Ghost' is not representative of Christianity or even related in any way other than the name, in the same way you are confident them playing the game isn't going to twist their mind and make them want to go out and kill people in real life.
You are not killing people in a video game...that's foolish to think that. They are simple characters of folks..but not actual folks. The big question is your own feelings/beliefs about the violence contained in such games. Personally i do not allow my younger daughter(10) to watch things like the aforementioned game( i play them when she is elsewhere)...when she turns 12 i will evaluate how she handles things..but at 10 she is quite vocal about what she wants to see and what she doesn't. Listen to your kids..but do not be afraid to jsut say no.

I'm sorry. Attempting to send a simulated bullet from a simulated gun through the brain pan of a simulated individual which can result in an often bloody simulated death animation via calculated blood and ragdoll physics is what I meant. Obviously you're not killing an actual person every time you make someone respawn in Battlefield V. I usually find it's easier to just shorten it to 'killing people in a game' and assuming people know what I'm talking about.

And you're not degrading Christianity or the Lord by owning a cosmetic item named 'Holy Ghost' either. That's the point. If your child is at the age where it's ok to be exposed to that level of violence, they're smart enough to know different words have different meanings, that not everyone thinks or believes the same things, and that the name of a cosmetic item isn't going to harm, shatter, or undermine that child's belief system, or cause that child to sin, or have some messed up view of God, or whatever. Because you as the parent know they know better by then.

Interesting thread as I've never thought about "thou shall not take God's name in vain" as applying to the term Holy Ghost. Though as an aspect of God it probably should. I certainly apply it to the terms Christ, Jesus and of course God. I'd ask how the application of Holy Ghost is used. Is it respectful, disrespectful or an issue that's never brought up. If you have a Christian group called "God's Children" or some such thing that's not in vain, they believe in him. As Spy in TF2 I wear a renamed Exorcizor with a sincere message about God in the hopes someone will read it. So it's possible to use an item respectfully.

If I'm being honest in a world with games that regularly openly condone, support or excuse, sexual perversion, cursing, secular humanism, criminal behavior and explicitly taking God's name in vain on a regular basis an item simply named the Holy Ghost isn't going to get much notice. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, vanity requires determining intent, only I could probably find other things in my life to cut out first that are far more influential over people's behavior, insulting to God or sinful. That said it's the right thing that you took the time to consider what God wants, don't ever stop doing that for everything, pray perpetually asking if what you are doing is right by God and if it is His will. Love Him more than anything including games. Also remember two things on any content...

1. How does it influence you? Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. Matthew 15:11An item named the Holy Ghost probably isn't going to temp you into repeating His name in vain much. I mean it's possible. I remember playing Metal Gear Solid and almost said "Damn" meaninglessly as Snake kept using it. The game did influence my behavior from the shear repetition of hearing it. At that point it matters but how often are you going to read the Holy Ghost text much less use it as a vain exclamation?

2. How does it influence others? More applicable is probably 1Corinthians 8-12 Which talks about there may be no fault in one eating meat offered to idols while not believing in them but doing so can condone the behavior for those who do. For example even if you can resist the temptation to curse or say God's name in vain there are many who look at media and mimic it. If "A" makes a cool, and vulgar, one liner while killing "B" people will walk around making the same comments to garner the same attention for themselves. People could conceivably look at the name and equate it to God being meaningless or it may be without enough context to make any comparison at all.

The bottom line is there is something wrong with everything. We live in a sinful world where nothing is perfect or untouched by sin. Ask yourself if what you buy and do is profitable to God. Do you influence people in the game for Christ? Are you doing more good than harm in your playing? Does playing Battlefield 5 keep you away from your drug addiction :p ? At the same time never become complacent. Being imperfect there is always something we can do better. Ask Christ for forgiveness and strive to "become perfect" while accepting you will never be on your own power so you can always do better. That there are worse, or more technically influential things (as all sin separates us from God), is not an excuse to condone the lesser only that we should probably tackle the more influential things first.

Last edited:
I would also look at the bible when it paul writes to the Philippians in chapter 4 Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise—dwell on these things. (HCSB)

Back