Feeling of Vengeance

newktguy

So when my enemies are reaping the negative seeds that they have sown, a small part of me feels really happy and glad that they are getting what they deserve but I also feel as if I should not feel this way and I ignore the feeling and pray for blessings on them anyway..... what does the Bible say about vengeance?

Old Testament and New Testament kind of confuse me on this issue.

OT
Proverbs 24:17 NASB
Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;

NT
Luke 6:27-28 NASB
But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

Romans 12:14-21 NASB
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “ Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. “ But if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

The Prophets constantly told the Jews that they had turned away from God, and that they would suffer for it. Was this out of vengeance for their being stupid idol worshiping fools, though?

It wouldn't seem so. Very often the Psalmists and the Prophets speak of God's power to crush Israel's enemies and cast them into the sea and such. But what are we to do with lines such as:

Ezechiel 18:23
Is it my will that a sinner should die, saith the Lord God, and not that he should be converted from his ways, and live?

Psalm 116 (115): 15
...precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints.

Psalm 51 (50): 19
A sacrifice to God is an afflicted spirit: a contrite and humbled heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Isaias 45:22
Be converted to me, and you shall be saved, all ye ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is no other.

Or what about the entire 16th chapter of Ezechiel? (Which makes me think of this song, incidentally.)

Now, I don't know what you guys think. But it seems to me that God loves us, and He wants us to love Him. But when we withdraw our love, He, gentleman though He is, begs us to come back, but withdraws His protection if we say we really don't want it.

And when He does that... cacophony strikes. And it can be said to be brought on entirely by us. Because God does not wish us to be separated from Him. We wisht it.

So we must see evil for what it is: a call to come back to God, to turn to Him and be saved.

Last edited:
OT
Proverbs 24:17 NASB
Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;

NT
Luke 6:27-28 NASB
But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

Romans 12:14-21 NASB
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “ Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. “ But if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Sums it up pretty well. Leave the vengeance to God and do your best to show the love of Christ to them.

In Christ, it is not our right or place to enact vengeance regardless of the situation. One of our goals is to live and practice the fruits of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, kindness, gentleness, patience, self-control), vengeance is nowhere to be found in that. God has made clear in Scripture, as has already been quoted, that it is His right to enact such. No where in the Bible do I see evidence that as christians it is a right and/or duty to enact vengeance.

I speak of our personal interactions with others, not justice for crimes brought about by the law/courts/military.

Back