Guild Wars 2 Info Released!!!!

Tree limbs for hair makes me think of the book Steel Beach. Other than that they may be on to something here. And yes the books that have been released so far are reasonably good.

I read the books, and I didn't take Caithe's thing as a lesbian relationship. It just seemed to me that ALL the Sylvari are tight-knit. (I had the impression though that they were born in groups that had sibling-like qualities...

I agree with you, never once was there any kind of relationship of any kind other than 'pod mates' (for lack of a better word) between Caithe and Faolain.

..."Just like you."
In fact Faolain and Caithe were nothing alike. Faolain's hair was jet-black, as were her nails and her eyes.
They had been that way from the moment the two women emerged together from the Pale Tree...
They were dear to each other and set out together to explore the world. But Caithe's spirit had grown straight and true like a young tree while Faolain's had grown twisted like a poison-ivy vine.

[from Edge of Destiny pg. 2]

Faolain does mention love a few times throughout the book (pgs 251 & 317); but I understood it as sibling love mainly because Caithe never mentions anything between them.
This is "brotherly love" that is implied in my opinion.

Last edited:
I agree with you, never once was there any kind of relationship of any kind other than 'pod mates' (for lack of a better word) between Caithe and Faolain.

..."Just like you."
In fact Faolain and Caithe were nothing alike. Faolain's hair was jet-black, as were her nails and her eyes.
They had been that way from the moment the two women emerged together from the Pale Tree...
They were dear to each other and set out together to explore the world. But Caithe's spirit had grown straight and true like a young tree while Faolain's had grown twisted like a poison-ivy vine.

[from Edge of Destiny pg. 2]

Faolain does mention love a few times throughout the book (pgs 251 & 317); but I understood it as sibling love mainly because Caithe never mentions anything between them.
This is "brotherly love" that is implied in my opinion.

Glad to hear that. I know not to take everything off of Guru to heart, but there did seem to be a lot of interpretation that is was more than a friendly or sisterly relationship.

I never thought anymore about until yesterdays blog post that seemed to leave the door open for that kind of thing in the world of Tyria.

Do sylvari have romantic relationships?

Sylvari fall in and out of love, just like other races do. They have a romanticized view of devotion, and they’re curious about passion in all its forms. There are male and female sylvari, but none has ever produced a child as other races do. Because of this, traditional human-style gender roles have no meaning to sylvari, either in their society or in their romantic relationships. Often, a sylvari’s ardor is expressed with courtly zeal—emotional, empathic, personal—and is not necessarily defined by gender.

I don't see why they even needed to bring this up considering no mention has ever been made of romantic relationships with any of the other races unless they we're trying to make some sort of point. What that point was is debatable. I would rather they had left this entire section out so we could have simply seen them as as one big family of pod children.

Either way, I'm still a fan and will be making a Sylvari after my Norn and Human.
I think he will be a warrior too. Maybe I'll name him Four Leaf Cleaver. :)

Last edited:
Got some more changes...

http://www.arena.net/blog/jon-peters-on-the-new-gamescom-demo

I wonder if this was the big news planned for the 16th or if we have other goodies to look for?

My favorite quotes:

Skills no longer cost energy. This means energy potions are also gone.

A weapon’s skills are now learned by fighting with that weapon. Because weapon skills are tied to weapon use, there is no reason to visit a trainer and make choices about which ones to unlock. Instead, it makes more sense to learn how to use the weapon by, you know, actually using it.
Non-weapon skills are learned in a different way. The second half of the bar will be unlocked using a collection mechanic similar to Guild Wars.
...newly prolific karma vendors.
All of the big, giant bosses have improved; from better cameras to view them to new things we can do with their skills, we have tried to make fighting them a more epic and spectacular experience.
We have technology to adjust body types, allowing for stocky, skinny, and muscular characters. Each race has its own unique set of options, including charr horns, norn tattoos, and asura ears. There is a large variety of faces and hairstyles, and you can even customize facial features, including five sliders just for your human character’s nose!
So why do we do all of this? We do it to improve upon all aspects of the game that we feel need it. We’re always focusing on making our combat more visceral, our events more dynamic, and our stories more personal. How long will we keep doing this? Until it is ready—and then some.
Great news imo.

Last edited:
"You can choose which of the lesser races you have sympathy for." -Colin Johanson via the live gamescom stream

"Max weapons and armor are available though multiple different routes." -Eric Flannum via the live gamescom stream

Last edited:
More Gamecom Stuff.

More Gamecom stuff.

Charr intro and Sylvari character customization:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ryn_E-ug4&feature=related

Asura character creation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqWcn2Ua6lg&feature=related

Sylvari Gameplay:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkYWEawiTa0&feature=related
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UBrk0yiSf4&feature=related

Here is the BIG ONE.
40 minutes of gameplay, some pvp areas, etc.
Go to 30:20 to see the "small" dragon boss (GW2 staff's words not mine.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VMTs74eWBJ4

Last edited:
More PvP News

http://games.on.net/article/13493/Exploring_PvP_in_Guild_Wars_2_-_Tournaments_Strategies_Explained

• Pickup Tournaments: These single-elimination tournaments wait for 8 teams to join before starting. Once they start, they go through 3 rounds of eliminations, with winners receiving qualifier points.
  • Monthly Tournaments: For monthly tournaments, you'll need a certain amount of qualifier points to join.
  • Yearly Tournaments: These grand tournaments feature the winners from the monthly tournaments slugging it out for the right to call themselves the best PvP players of the year.
  • Player-Run Tournaments: These tournaments will be customized by players, allowing for great flexibility and unique bragging rights.

Last edited:
Ten Ton Hammer PvP Interview:
http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/gamescom/2011/pvp-interview-with-eric-flannum

My favorite quote:

The way that it [Structured PvP] works is that you’ll go to that PvP map and you open up the server browser, and it will show you a list of servers. It’s entirely possible that we’ll have some servers that are maybe restricted by how much Glory you have or something like that if we feel that we want to have some beginner servers.

But the basic idea is that you can hop onto a server similar to an FPS, and if it’s like, wow, everyone is super pro on this server you can always leave and find a different server. So you can try and find a server that maybe fits your play style, or other players you like playing with. Or if you get onto a server with a bunch of jerks, you can always just quit out and go find another server.

Since I am actually excited about PvP in GW2 I am looking forward to this. I really hope they go with a level (Glory) based server, at least that among other qualifiers.

My least favorite quote:
We haven’t talked that much about our guild activities and things like that, but we want to have systems so guilds have reasons to play together, and we’ll talk about that once we have more of it developed. But guilds in our game are going to be all about social networking and giving them reasons to play together, but not forcing them to do anything.

Only the bold part really. The rest is cool. If they haven't even "talked" about guild activities yet this game may be a ways off. Then again, they did mention several times that they would be ok with large updates after release soooooo.... who knows anymore. ;)

Last edited:
not talking about it is not the same as not having it in place... I would hope they have plans already in place with all the code just not on the current production or at least not where they can talk about it.

Perhaps

A cool leaks for ya' Seems people think its a section of one of the World vs World vs World maps.

wvwvw.jpeg

I think we've posted this before but some screen shots of the crafting system.

Reminder: You can pick 2 of the 8 crafting system at a time. (Yes you can change them but with an unspecified cost.)

1. Weaponsmith - craft melee weapons, such as swords, axes and hammers.
  2. Huntsman - craft ranged weapons like bows and pistol, as well as torches and warhorns.
  3. Artificer - craft magical weapons such as staves and scepters.
  4. Armorsmith - craft heavy armor pieces.
  5. Leatherworker - craft medium armor pieces.
  6. Tailor - craft light armor pieces.
  7. Jewelcrafter - craft jewelry, such as rings and necklaces.
  8. Cook - prepare food which characters can eat for temporary combat buffs.

2011_March_crafting_tab.jpg

Leather_works_concept_art.jpg

Oh, and for you folks who have played other MMOs where stealing mineral deposits and other items in the persistent world was a problem, you can take a sigh of relief. GW2 will have "instanced" items. Meaning you can collect the mythril, or copper, or whatever and I will still have it available to me. Very cool system and just another example of how GW2 is making a game where you will actually enjoy seeing other players... or at least not hate them immediately. :)

Sweet quotes from the blog:
http://www.arena.net/blog/andrew-mcleod-talks-crafting-in-gw2

Crafting stations can be found in cities and major outposts around the world. A woodworking bench is used to saw logs into planks, while a sword is created at an anvil. When interacting with a crafting station, you are presented with an interface through which you can combine up to four types of materials. When the correct items for crafting an item are added to the interface, the resulting item can be crafted.

If you haven’t previously crafted that item, you discover the recipe for that item, allowing you to easily view the correct combination to recreate the item. Some basic recipes are automatically learned by characters, but the recipes for most items must be discovered by the crafter. A few recipes can only be learned from a trainer or from drops in the world.We decided to go with a discovery system for learning recipes so as to allow crafters to distinguish themselves. When there is a static list of recipes learned from a trainer, every character with that crafting discipline is the same. However, with a discovery system, players that spend time and effort on their crafting disciplines have a way to distinguish themselves.

Leveling up your crafting skill uses an experience system—each item you craft is worth an amount of experience. There are 400 skill points in each discipline, though crafting items will often give multiple points worth of experience. Our intent is that you should never have to make something you consider worthless while leveling a crafting discipline.

Last edited:
Back