Derv skill update preview

Wow! That really makes me want to roll one!!!! I think I'm finally starting to figure out skills and the like. I've heard a few people say Dervishes are pointless for PvP (as are sins) but I think that kind of statement is rather ridiculous. Even Paragons have their uses, I'm sure. I'm just glad that they're working hard to make Derv's even more useful as a character!

So, what does everyone think now that the updates been made? I really want to get on play with the new mechanics, wish I had more time this weekend but a funeral takes precedence.

Maybe some time next week I'll get to check it out more in depth, but from what I've read I'm excited to rebuild all my dervish setups and try new things.

One combo I'm sad to lose though is Grenth Form + Conjure Frost...so sick....I can understand why that was taken out.

Wow, this is quite an update.
Asuran Scan: changed functionality to: "For 9...12 seconds your attacks cannot miss target foe. Killing a foe hexed with Asuran scan removes 5% death penalty."

Intensity: changed skill type to skill; removed casting time; decreased recharge to 10 seconds; changed functionality to: "For 10 seconds, the next time you deal elemental damage with a spell to a target, you deal 40...50% of that damage to all other nearby foes."

"By Ural's Hammer!": increased recharge to 60 seconds; changed functionality to: "For 30 seconds, all dead party members in earshot are resurrected with full Health and Energy. Resurrected party members deal 25...33% more damage. When this effect ends, affected party members die. This skill does not incur a death penalty."

Those are rather random updates, but interesting non the less.

Yeah, I expect you'll start seeing even more builds running asuran scan, if not for the no-miss aspect for the DP removal. I know dp removing items are fairly common in use nowadays but if you can get it from a skill that also provides combat utility...I just see it getting even more use than before.

As for "By Urals Hammer" I have mixed feelings. I like the idea of it, but I've never really been all that fond of Vengeance as a skill and seeing a mass version of it makes me have those same mixed feelings but intensified by a factor of 7 (since that's the most you can rez with it at once). I'll admit that I don't PvP much and maybe that's where vengeance and the new by ural's hammer will shine, but I just don't know for sure.

Eternal Aura on the derv list though, I have a feeling that will be this season's Derv Rez. Bonus health for 8 seconds and a mass rez on demand for an enchant removal is pretty nice. Just my initial thoughts.

By Urals Hammer is a PvE only skill so I'm pretty sure it won't shine in PvP any time soon ^^. Anyway, yeah I agree with you're opinions on it however. I also never really liked Vengeance anyway. Asuran Scan I'm not really sure about, we'll have to see.

I personally LOL'd when I saw the random AS/BUH updates at the end.

Scan just took away the one of the only 2 ways to stop an assassin, if I'm reading it correctly. Does cannot miss mean blind does not affect? Block is already not a problem. Only thing that is left now is heavy enchant strip. DP reduction is nice, because you know how assassins love to accumulate DP. All in all I think it will be nice IF it works through blind. If not, then it's pretty useless.

Intensity looks great - think AoE AoE now. Hit intensity, then any AoE spell (meteor shower?) for lulz.

BUH is now an elite vengeance...i'm not sure how I feel about it. Will this reduce the need for UA monks? Does it work through Frozen Soil (doubtful)?

Last edited:
Eternal Aura is an AoE Res now too:
"Enchantment Spell. You have +100 max Health. When this enchantment ends, all party members in the area are resurrected with 40...50% Health and 20...30% Energy."

Meh.

I've had fun playing with some of the changes to dervish. I find myself picking an elite, building around that, and seeing what happens. I also found that I like Whirling Attack from the warrior sunspear line so much that it's a staple on my bar.

Some combos I've found so far:
Vow of Strength + Sand Shards - kinda like using hundred blades on a warrior. Staggering Force's teardown effect of an AoE Cracked Armor is nice and really puts out some damage. One thing it lacks is a faster attack speed, which can be provided by Heart of Fury. Just make sure not to change your attacks to elemental.

Avatar of Grenth + Grenth's Aura - 28 lifesteal combined at 10 myst and 10 wind is nice - keeps you alive and is armor-ignoring. Rending Aura (similar to Staggering) gives that nice Cracked Armor AoE and Twin Moon Sweep (a tad high on the adrenaline req) adds more health in an unblockable attack. Same attack speed issue as above.

Onslaught + anything - Make sure to boost Wind high enough so it's maintainable, and just build anything else around it. Serveral of the very fast attacks such as Eremites got nerfed, so that hurts, but the maintainable 25% speed and attack boost with no downside is certainly nothing to dismiss. Just make sure you steer clear of the teardown attacks if you give this to a hero. Victorious Sweep, Radiant Scythe, and Crippling Victory are a nice set. Add Grenth's Aura for some bonus lifesteal.

In all, it's an interesting change, and the dervish really carries its' weight when surrounded by large groups of mobs. The downside is, the damage output is much to be desired when there's only 1 or two foes near you. It reminds me of a SS necro with Mark of Pain, but less squishy.

By Urals Hammer is a PvE only skill so I'm pretty sure it won't shine in PvP any time soon ^^.

Oy...that's what I get for posting without thinking....My feelings are still the same, AoE vengeance is quite silly because you're still going to have the problem of a mostly dead team when the effect wears off. Better hope you drop some foes while under the effect to level the playing field a bit. I'm guessing though, that with the bonus damage you'll be able to do that. At least drop one or two if they coordinate their efforts and attacks.

Eternal Aura is an AoE Res now too:
"Enchantment Spell. You have +100 max Health. When this enchantment ends, all party members in the area are resurrected with 40...50% Health and 20...30% Energy."

Meh.

Sounds awesome to me...especially given this note:
"If ended by the caster's death, this skill also resurrects the caster."

Self-res? Really? That's completely awesome. Time to get working on N/D death nova-way.

Thanks for those notes Reginator. I'll be referring to some of those ideas when I make my derv.

Oy...that's what I get for posting without thinking....My feelings are still the same, AoE vengeance is quite silly because you're still going to have the problem of a mostly dead team when the effect wears off. Better hope you drop some foes while under the effect to level the playing field a bit. I'm guessing though, that with the bonus damage you'll be able to do that. At least drop one or two if they coordinate their efforts and attacks.

Used this in FoW HM last night, saved our bacon. The death isn't too bad...'cause you're doing one of two things:

1) Very nice res mid-battle, should be over before you die
2) Res from partial wipe, wait it out

I mean, you don't want to use it and then run into the next battle for half of your party to die, but you can use it effectively if you have hard resurrects on your team. Resurrect person with hard res -> have them resurrect others.

Last edited:
Back