To you Ret Pally DPS haters...

i like to derail threads with large pictures

original.aspx

I reason I said what I said is that if there are two dealing damage, mainly in the case of a hunter, you are bound to deal more damage even if you suck...

no, i was countering your implication that pets are "special" as a reason not to be creating equivalent damage.

Pallies don't have AOEs (nor would this pally want one). We do have DOTs that are active in a large area and reflective melee damage. Mages, Priests and Warlocks can only hit something like 8 targets with their AOEs which keeps them from being overpowered. Pallies can DOT any number of targets within 10 yards. Big difference in mechanics and potential DPS. A tankadins max DPS is a factor of their mitigation capabilities and the healing available to them along with density of mobs. Solo with mobs within 2 levels of me I think I would top out around 1k-1.5k depending on the type of mob. I haven't done a lot of heavy AOE grinding recently now that I have a 700 spell damage plate set. Will have to see what kind of numbers I can generate.

The point I was making was that I applaud people who can take classes that normally don't DPS, and make their character turn out respectable DPS. I was trying not to dwell on Paladin tanks, because I know that takes skill and I am not knocking their skill/abilities etc; but when you are walking down a tunnel with ever respawning bugs, it would in fact be harder to stay lower on the DPS meter, than climb your way to the top. Of course you should be at the top. (The mobs before Huhu helped as well; as all the pulls after The Prophet in AQ40 are packs leading up to Fankriss.)

However, Paladins DO have an AOE, its Consecrate! However, it isn't a DD (direct damage) like the Mage's Arcane Explosion, but it is still considered an AOE because it affects mobs around the caster who wander into the spells area. Consecrate is more like an instant Flame Strike (without the first DD hit), than an Arcane Explosion.

I don't know why Mages, Warlocks and Priests DD AOE's would be limited to 8 targets; but if you think about it, it cannot be for safety reasons. Not all AOE packs come in exactly 8 mobs so the spell will hit all of them every time. I am pretty sure the spell (if there is indeed a limit) would randomly hit 8 targets near the caster, and not assign mobs to the player's character. When you run through an area spamming Arcane explosion trying to kill yourself (as I have done with Klangdon) you will notice that you will have more than just 8 mobs running to you.

But as far as skill goes, I think it requires more skill to get high amounts of damage out of a class and spec that is largely unknown to be DPS (IE Holy Pallies/Priests, Disc Priests, Protection Pally/Warrior, Resto Druids/Shammies and Hunters). I threw hunters in there just for good measure. ;)

Agreed. :D

I reason I said what I said is that if there are two dealing damage, mainly in the case of a hunter, you are bound to deal more damage even if you suck...

Hunters Take skill !!!!! A cruddy hunter who doesn't know how to play will not do much damage, hunters = timing, Lag = bad for dps.:(

I don't know why Mages, Warlocks and Priests DD AOE's would be limited to 8 targets; but if you think about it, it cannot be for safety reasons. Not all AOE packs come in exactly 8 mobs so the spell will hit all of them every time. I am pretty sure the spell (if there is indeed a limit) would randomly hit 8 targets near the caster, and not assign mobs to the player's character. When you run through an area spamming Arcane explosion trying to kill yourself (as I have done with Klangdon) you will notice that you will have more than just 8 mobs running to you.

I was off on the number. It is 15 per wowwiki and then the damage caps.

and i believe there's some sort of total damage cap on top of that that's being modified (removed?) in 2.4

Replace the 8 in my post with 15 and you will still get the same idea.

From WoWWiki:
Area damage caps

All area effect damage effects will have 'area damage caps' in patch 2.2.0 which limit the number of targets which will be affected by any AoE effects. There are already spells, such as Arcane Explosion (AE), using these to a certain extent. In the case of AE, the damage decreases per mob, up until about 15 mobs being, at which point it holds at a certain amount of minimum damage.

I didn't know there was a cap on Arcane Explosion... kinda disappointing they are removing it.

Oh well. :)

Last edited:

You wonder why people argue with you? Cause you make ignorant comments like this. Don't Bash hunters, cause you don't know. FYI, I beat out BM hunters and I run with no pet.

he's a rebel!

as I said before, hunter pets are part of their damage if used, especially BM, the hunter himself gives up a lot of DPS personally to make his pet do more damage. I helped gilga in SH last night and a hunter that sucked did 1/3 of the damage I did while tanking so a hunter still needs to have good gear to put out the DPS no matter what.

Funny story about that hunter too, he was in TERRIBAD gear with half his sockets unfilled or gems a hunter shouldnt have anyway and no enchants, etc, etc.... but he had an epic flying mount?!? I LOL'd to Gilga when I saw that, I guess if I didnt spend any money on enchants or gems or consumables I could of probably had an epic flyer by now too:)

You wonder why people argue with you? Cause you make ignorant comments like this. Don't Bash hunters, cause you don't know. FYI, I beat out BM hunters and I run with no pet.

MM FTW!
in PvP i mostly just use my pet to disrupt casters. its just plain old fun sicking my pet on a priest and not attacking him. just let my pet play and i sit n watch. o yes, i'm a jerk..

he's a rebel!

as I said before, hunter pets are part of their damage if used, especially BM, the hunter himself gives up a lot of DPS personally to make his pet do more damage. I helped gilga in SH last night and a hunter that sucked did 1/3 of the damage I did while tanking so a hunter still needs to have good gear to put out the DPS no matter what.

Funny story about that hunter too, he was in TERRIBAD gear with half his sockets unfilled or gems a hunter shouldnt have anyway and no enchants, etc, etc.... but he had an epic flying mount?!? I LOL'd to Gilga when I saw that, I guess if I didnt spend any money on enchants or gems or consumables I could of probably had an epic flyer by now too:)

me too! if i took the +1500g i used to get LW 375 and if i didnt by alot dust for skygaurd rep or buy 2 LW patterns and buyout all the mats for em and used all that gold for a epic mount my gear wouldnt be so good. but gear > epic mount

Hunters Take skill !!!!! A cruddy hunter who doesn't know how to play will not do much damage, hunters = timing, Lag = bad for dps.:(

*raises hand* thats me!
working on it tho.

Odale said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankeye

Replace the 8 in my post with 15 and you will still get the same idea.

From WoWWiki:

Quote:
Area damage caps

All area effect damage effects will have 'area damage caps' in patch 2.2.0 which limit the number of targets which will be affected by any AoE effects. There are already spells, such as Arcane Explosion (AE), using these to a certain extent. In the case of AE, the damage decreases per mob, up until about 15 mobs being, at which point it holds at a certain amount of minimum damage.

I didn't know there was a cap on Arcane Explosion... kinda disappointing they are removing it.

Oh well.

There is no limit to how many mobs you will hit in an AOE. The amount of dmg done per mob reduces for each additional to a minimum at 15 mobs. If you are hitting more than 15 you will hit all of them for the minimum amount instead of the full spell dmg.

They did this so that mages couldn't do crazy things. There are several movies on warcraftmovies.com called "Stupid mage tricks" that simply blew my mind when I saw them. Mages could solo HUGE amounts of mobs at one time with ease so Blizz took the nerf bat to it.

@masta - i run 1900x1200 on my laptop as well as my desktop monitors...perhaps i'll post a pic of my new command center with 3x24s...mwuhahahahaha!

i'm contemplating seeing if i can treat them as one monitor either through vista or a hardware device i've seen and constrain the viewport to the middle monitor and keep raid mods and such on the side...not sure how ugly that would look...probably pretty ugly, but it'd be cool.

then again, i could just wait for that wrap-around monitor to come out which would be even better..

Back