Micro-management vs...uh, the opposite of Micro-management...

Shagz

Hey guys,

I've been playing Company of Heroes lately (awesome game, stunning detail in the graphics and great tactical/strategic combat, but you have to get by the swear words in the soundtrack) and it takes me a long time to complete missions. This is because I micromanage like crazy. My finger hovers above the pause button all the time and 30 mins will pass in the real world while only 3 mins have passed in game time.

I had this problem playing Homeword 1, 2 and HW:Cataclysm as well.

I love strategy RTS games, but I feel it every time I lose a unit, so I'm constantly playing, pausing, playing, pausing, and restarting when things go bad, or "Daniculo and Williams" get shot. :p

Anybody else have/had this problem? How can I get over it so I don't have to set aside so much time for a gaming session?

Anybody else have/had this problem?
I don't recall having the same problem. Then again, I don't play RTS games in single-player mode very often.

How can I get over it so I don't have to set aside so much time for a gaming session?
Watch me play a few games of Starcraft as Zerg.

Seriously.

I once lost over 200 units and still won the game (and I think I have the reply to prove it). If you're upset by losing a few units, you probably would have had an aneurysm by the time that match was over.

EDIT: The opposite of micro-management if macro-management. Both are important, but it could be said that macro-management is more important when playing as Zerg (thus the ability to lose over 200 units and still win).

Anybody else have/had this problem? How can I get over it so I don't have to set aside so much time for a gaming session?

You could cheat.

If not, well, I've beaten Starcraft Campaign quickly and only beaten 90% of Brood War since 3vs1 as zerg is hard for me (Last lvl of Zerg Campaign).

I had too much time when I never knew Starcraft can be played on-line, which is why, unfortunately, I have played Starcraft off-line for 3 years. :(

Try different strategies, do something different, hit and run tactics, heavy turtle defense, etc.

I don't recall having the same problem. Then again, I don't play RTS games in single-player mode very often.

Watch me play a few games of Starcraft as Zerg.

Seriously.

I once lost over 200 units and still won the game (and I think I have the reply to prove it). If you're upset by losing a few units, you probably would have had an aneurysm by the time that match was over.

EDIT: The opposite of micro-management if macro-management. Both are important, but it could be said that macro-management is more important when playing as Zerg (thus the ability to lose over 200 units and still win).

By the time someone has defeated your legion of zerg minions, you can triple your army in seconds. 3 eggs/1 hive = 6 zerglings/scourges; 30 eggs/10 hives = 60 zerglings/scourges.

I've lost like that too, but the great things is the kill counter, hehe. Doesn't matter that I lost, I killed over 500 of your army! (For example)

When I had bunkers with marines/ghosts and turrets, the only reason I got more kills than everyone when I faced Carriers was because I kept killing the interceptors.

I remember 1 time, on a snow terrain, I was stuck in a bottleneck when the computer took over all the base expansions, so I had over 15 bunkers filled with marines. Unfortunately, I got devastated by 6 Ultralisks, cause my marines did 1 damage!!!!!!!!! :(

I think Micro is "L33T", dodging lurker attacks and killing it with a terran marine, WOW. :eek:

Last edited:
Seriously.

thats becuase zerglings are evil and therefor expendable. just like orcs in bfme 2

Back