What's the most skill-critical role in a group?

What is the most skill-critical role in a group? (public poll)

• Total voters
Except in the statement "Tank and DPS should never be used in the same statement." Everybody knows that.

First off I'd like to say Hi.
I don't know yet whether or not you guys are recruiting.
But I'm rather interested int the prospect of a Christian wow guild
so long as there's no carebear policy tward the hordies though I can't see
any reason there would be.

That being said, having come from a very serious raiding background.
Destiny of Shadow Moon (first guild on the server to kill rag)
Officer of Recognize of Shadow Moon (killed nefarian in green and blue gear)
Faith of Shadow Moon (longest surviving end game guild on shadow moon? RIP Destiny :( )
Though this doesn't make my oppinion any more valuable than anyone elses, it at least shows that if I'm telling the truth, I'm not some random person comming and making statements. BTW if you like you can check wowsensus or something to see my guild history :D.

I'm going to have to say if one were to have to pick at straws (you have to if you want to make any of the 3 arguments in the poll, because skill is very much a big deal if you really want to go anywhere in WOW no matter what class you are or what job you're doing) healing is going to be the one I'd pick.
I have experience tanking end game, as well as healing and DPSing. The reason I've chosen healer is mainly because alot of the argument seems to be comming from a non "big mob" raid type perspective, mostly in AQ/NAX warriors aren't picking up and tanking multiple adds because it'd eat them alive faster than they could be healed (before they're decked out), tanks are given many great tools for holding aggro I've never had much problem holding aggro on anything in multiple numbers because of the awesome skills like revenge and shield block etc that blizzard gave warriors. The reason I'd argue healing is actually harder (especially now w/ decursive not working as it once did) is because of triage. Sometimes it comes down to who's going to die and who's going to live, with the exception of a main tank this can differ depending on any fight at any moment and also depends on who's having a good night vs who's not. If your top DPS rogue is having an off night and some guy that's not usually the best is on top of the charts you need to know that's going on because if it comes down to the line, whoever's performing the best needs to stay alive. Also mana conservation is not an option in fights like the Twin Emporers if every healer there doesn't know how to conserve mana extremely well and how to time their heals masterfully you will not survive the fight no matter how good your tanks or DPS are. If healers are sitting around watching their grid and get a little close on a Huhuran encounter, when a nature damage soaker goes down the healer can become instant slimesicle and be out of comission however movement is sometimes nessessary due to proximity issues. The farther end game has progressed the less "grid watching" you can do as a healer, in BC I've seen really well geared tanks take a hit so hard there's little hope for them, I've also seen growing nesessity to stop looking at the bars and start watching the mobs. On fights like romulo and julian when people first started doing them people were getting owned by julian's holy damage projectiles much too fast, it would have easily been remedied by a healer who was aware of who the projectile was heading for. A good healer can take a group without a tank painlessly through a 5 man in many circumstances (it takes alot of skill from the other members as well, but a skilled tank is not nessessary in order for a group to succede, it might be possible for a skilled tank to carry a group through without a healer but I don't think I've ever heared of it, though as a laugh I've heared of 10 hunters doing Strat before it was nerfed using mend pet and FD and all that jazz to toss aggro around, it sounded like a blast and a half).

Anyway I have to get off here I've got to get up for Church and I'm up too late X.X
Peace guys,
Gilius

After 5 pages its time for MY RANT.

On Osirys there isn't an instance I haven't touched (all the ones before Gruul's lair and into that one). I have been a top DPSer in many raids, and I have even tanked the Caster Twin Emperor in AQ40 ( I have the helm to prove it.)

Tanks and healers have one job and one job only - heal and tank. It can be easy and quite difficult. In HK, our MT, Carlotta, used to tank Nefarian tabbed out and surfing the web. We only wiped once while he did that. Healer's job's are the same way, depending on who is tanking and DPSing. I know this because of Oddbob. The skill of the tank and the skills of the DPS in a group (aggro control) greatly affects your mana control and heals on the tank.

DPS however has many many different rolls in a raid. If there is sheeping to be done (think domo fight), the healers cant do it and the tanks cant do it... the DPS does it. On all-out DPs fights, like Princess Huhuran in AQ40, there are a handfull of players (mostly tanks) who form a wall of players with high nature resist (300+ NR). They form a circle around the base of the giant wasp. DPS has to very lightly DPS the boss to 70% with wands and white damage. at 70% ranged DPs can use damage spells such as Shadowbolt and Icebolt modestly... being weary of their spot on KTM and the wall on KTM. She gooes Berzerk at 40%. She does 200% damage to the members of the wall, and before they all die, DPS must kill her before everyone dies.

During the Twin Emporer, ALL DPS serves as crowd control, killing bugs before they explode.

During C'Thun, all mele, even tanks are DPS. There is nothing to be tanked. Healers... heal.

During Nefarian DPS clears the mobs spawned by the Warlock class call.

I voted before thiniking about it, I think DPS has a pretty intense job. Someone has to do what healers and tanks cant... :)

Last edited:
Back