Whats the difference

Pabmeister

Preamble

As some may know, I am of german decent and I am very involved in my countries history and culture, much like ToJers are very involved in their relegion. I allways follow ToJ Server rules and play fairly and nicely and am fairly weel known in the community.

beef

Today on the server I had a real problem. A greif player by the name of Satan was being an idiot, the admin came in and removed him in the correct fasion. There was annother player there, who frequents the server with the rest of their clan who was using the Screen-name Rommel. I politely asked him several times to change it with something else, because I feel uncomfortable playing in a room with a someone bearing the name of a Nazi General. ( My grandmother was raped when she was a young child by nazis, and many of my relatives (both allied and axis) died in that war)

I understand that Rommel may verry well be his last name, Or signify something else, but the fact remains it makes gaming an uncomfortable situation and isntead of chnging his name, the whole room, admin included took his side.

*Puts up crap deflectors*

Thank you for your time,
Pabmeister

This is a tough one, Pab. I totally understand your point of view. I suppose since "Rommel" isn't typically viewed as offensive as "Satan" or even "Hitler" for that matter, the admin felt that it wasn't as big of an issue unfortunately. I would have to say that most people simply don't find "Rommel" an offensive name unless it had a direct impact such as the situation of your Grandmother.

Did the guy ignore you after your requests? Did he acknowledge your request? What did you want to see happen?

The admin was me...and I did address this with Pab on my own time and can say he is a very polite individual who does follow and help enforce the rules...The person playing as Satan was an obvious removal. To be honest the player named Rommel had a problem with changing his name, stating that he has played on our server in the past without being asked to change his name by other admins. I felt like his name was justified as I did not know his reasons for wearing that name...whether it be his real name or significant for another reason to him. Perhaps he was wearing it b\c of the Nazi general, but its not completely impossible that he wasn't. I think this is an instance of being unable to make everyone happy when on the server...an admin can only enforce so many things before becoming overbearing. Tis only my point of view though.

But Rommel was a great General. He was a Nazi but also a soldier. When I was on the server a very long time ago he was playing and he chose Rommel because he was a famous General. It had nothing to do with being a Nazi, Rommel was a great leader and soldier.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Never a member of the Nazi party, he had become increasingly outspoken in his criticism of Hitler's leadership. On Oct. 14, 1944, he was visited by two German generals investigating the cases of officers suspected of complicity in the July 20 plot against Hitler's life. He was given, on orders from Hitler, the choice between taking poison and having his death reported as resulting from his wounds, or facing trial by the People's Court. He elected the former course, ending his life in the generals' automobile near Ulm, Germany, on Oct. 14, 1944.

Anyone watch band of brothers yesterday. I love watching war movies and reading about them.

If he was asked to change the name then he should do so out of respect for pab, regardless of whether it was rommel, santa or tinky winky.

I should add... of course they would need a very good reason to want a name changed. With this case it is clear. But i wouldnt change my name just cos someone came on the server and said they didnt like it.

Most names are clearly offensive or not.. The bottom line is tha admin present has the call on changing the name or not.. I think they should have since pab was clearly offended by it and requested the change himself.

Admins, use your judgement in dealing with a situation like this; remember, we are here to serve!

I guess u have the right since your the admin, but Rommel had nothing to do with the Nazis, he was a soldier that followed orders. I personally think pab should just deal with it. If he was in school and they were discussing WW2 and he put his hand up and said I don't think we should talk about this subject. Would the teacher say deal with it or change her study plan for one kid. As admins u can't make everyone happy, he has to deal with it. I personally admire Desert Fox he was a great leader, and not a Nazi.
I don't like teletubbies they scare me. And tinky Winky is the worst of them all.

That is not what happened JoBlow.

It would be more accurate of an example if it was:

Everything the same as you mentioned with the following exceptions and additions. Somebody in class is carrying a sign "Rommel". Somebody, whos family has been hurt by Rommel then asks the teacher to take care of the situation. Its now up to the teacher to use their judgement in ascertaining required information and taking appropriate action. The subject of the class is not the issue, its the intent of the person carrying the sign "Rommel."

But Rommel never personally hurt his family. He was a soldier who followed orders. He was't a member of the Nazi party, and died because he was part of the plot to kill hittler. He was the Desert Fox.
And I've played with the guy named Rommel and he's a nice guy. I forgot what server I was on though, and it might of been another Rommel.
If I was a admin and someone was using the name Dr. Gross or Hitler I wouldn't of told him to change his name, because he has the right to have whatever name he wanted. It's not a swear word.
But I guess u could handle it anyway u want to.:)

hence y this is the only server u can be an admin on.
To ask a guy to change his name because u think he was a Nazi is just wrong. Have u ever read about Rommel.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]because he has the right to have whatever name he wanted. It's not a swear word.

Freedom of speach very much ends on private property. He does not have the right to whatever name he wants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To ask a guy to change his name because u think he was a Nazi is just wrong.

Please show me where somebody came out and said "I think the guy who was named Rommel on the server is a Nazi."

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I politely asked him several times to change it with something else, because I feel uncomfortable playing in a room with a someone bearing the name of a Nazi General. ( My grandmother was raped when she was a young child by nazis, and many of my relatives (both allied and axis) died in that war)

I don't mean the player was a nazi but the name of the general was a nazi. Which he wasn't.
It came out wrong when I wrote it sry.
He wasn't really a Nazi general he was a german general. And not all german soldiers agreed with hittler but they had no choice.

You always, always, always have a choice. Some people just balk when the consequences of making the right choice seem like something they'd rather not endure, but there is always a choice.

What choice being put into a camp, being killed of doing the right thing and don't abandon your post. He was a soldier and there was a war, where else would he be.

Back