Tribe of Judah: UT2004 Competition Team

Tek7@Work

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
I figured it would be best to start a separate thread to guage interest in and start forming a UT2004 competition team for ToJ.

I'm willing to appoint some staff positions to those willing to dedicate time and effort toward this endeavor. I will do my best to supply the team with the resources they need to succeed and, more importantly, represent Christ in a positive light.

Anyone who is willing and able to play on the team, please post a reply (even if you already posted in the "Clan :CyB: kicks the bucket" thread).

Also, if anyone has suggestions for methods of recruiting team members, please post them.

kraniac: You have the floor, sir.

Ok, to summarize: I have searched for a good UT ladder (since Proving Grounds bought the farm recently) and I think I have found one: the Team Warfare League (TWL: www.teamwarfare.com). They play 4v4 or 2v2 TDM, weaponstay off. Other than that, standard rules apply.

It appears that through unofficial selection I will be leading this team; if anyone else wants the position, please talk to me and we can work things out. I'm not on a power trip here or anything, and I don't want to take the position if someone else feels like it should be theirs.

I'm shooting right now for the 4v4 ladder. If we get 8 people (four starters and four alternates), we could hold good practices. I'm also thinking that it would be best to have "reservists," like Tek. These would be people who are backups in case we run out of people.

Practices should probably be held weekly or bi-weekly. Friday or Saturday nights would be in order. Once we get a team together we can hold an official vote to see which evening would be utilitarian. I would prefer to hold them earlier than most clans hold practices, i.e. around 8 PM Eastern Time. They would probably last about 1.5 hours (three practice matches, a bit of strategy and technique explanation, level mastery, etc.).

As far as recruiting new members, I think that if we run a good DM server ("Figment's Mojo Server" and "{dkc} The Experience" are good examples) we could gain interest the quickest. I have a lot of spare computer parts lying around, I could build a reasonably fast machine to use as a dedicated server once I slapped FreeBSD on it. The only problem is, it would share my bandwidth.

Anyway, all this can be worked out later. The main issue right now is:

If you want to join, please reply to this thread.

[edit] I will keep a running roster here. The team so far:

[toj.cc]kraniac
[toj.cc]Killerah
[toj.cc]Shagz
[toj.cc]Tek7 (reserve)
[toj.cc]TheJfreak (half-reserve)
[toj.cc]ColdSteel (very tentative, super-ultra-mega-last-resort-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-You're-my-only-hope reserve)
[/edit]

Count me in! I can only play on weekends though (friday-sunday)
sad.gif

Count me in as a reservist/full time. It will all depend on how scheduling works out.

As for a server, why don't we use the official ToJ one? We can flip the default game mode over to TDM and let that run, then jump to Onslaught when we meet up on Sundays. Thoughts?

I would but i would have to be a alt or something because i already have my cs team and they come in 1st in my prioties because i created it so maybe i can do it maybe not ill see how my month goes
smile.gif

Sorry guys and gals. I cannot play dm competition on dial up. Also there would be a team practice conflict with me on eve shift. I would just love to be in it but I would just be to easy of a kill for the other team. CS
I could be a very very last desperate -got no one else- last man needed reservist team member. And it would more than likely could only be on a weekend match. I will try to attend some game practices if I happen to be off through the weekday. Or if one is scheduled on weekends.
Cya Sunday eve.

Looks like we may need to start shooting for the 2v2 ladder. I wish we had James. I understand though, CS.

nah im not a reserve just nub
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
ill be there but not 100% full on time last man doing nothing 100% you know what i mean
biggrin.gif

No, I really don't know what you mean. You don't want to be a reserve? I can't put you down as a full-time member if you're going to be late all the time.

You're a half reserve, then. One more full-timer and we can do the 2v2 ladder, although I hoped we would be able to do 4v4.

We might have to recruit outside of ToJ for this.

kraniac: If you're willing to recruit on other forums (where allowed, of course), I can send you an invite post template I used on the official Blizzard forums back in the day. If you want the file, e-mail me at tek7 AT toj DOT cc

EDIT: Sorry. Should have been more specific. When I say "recruit outside of ToJ," I mean that we would recruit Christian gamers, have them join ToJ, and THEN place them on the competition team.

I was planning on posting on secular boards for any Christians who wanted to play on a Christian team to come join. I hadn't thrown out the Christian requirement. 1v1ing yesterday, this guy named Prophecy said he was looking for a TDM clan. I asked him if he was a Christian and he said yes, so I told him our address. Maybe he'll be around.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kraniac @ Oct. 31 2004,8:58)]1v1ing yesterday, this guy named Prophecy said he was looking for a TDM clan. I asked him if he was a Christian and he said yes, so I told him our address. Maybe he'll be around.
Awesome.
smile.gif

Keep up the good work, kraniac!

That's one thing we should work on/figure out how to do a better job of is taking people who mention that thy're interested or are looking for a christian clan or whatever and converting them into actual ToJ members. ColdSteel and I (and I'm sure plenty of others) have had conversations with random pubbing players who stop by the ToJ server who ask if we're recruiting. We usually just point them to the website, but then we never hear from them again.

Any other suggestions on how to actively engage these potential members?

Just talk to them, I guess. Find out what they're interested in, show them we're friendly people who aren't hypocrites and at the same time aren't too in-your-face about it. The majority of people have two stereotypes when it comes to Christians: 1. The hypocrite who attends church on Sunday mornings because he feels like it's his duty, and 2. the high-strung, annoying, won't-take-no-for-an-answer televangelist who feels like God wants him to harass everyone about their faith. Therefore, we have to cut the medium between the two extremes.

Being in CyB for a while was helpful for me to meet new players. I met that Prophecy guy through Masher, CyB's old leader, and {dKc}Rotten, a guy I play with a lot who was in Masher's old clan (the one he is now a member of again).

Also, (and I really don't want this to sound like a complaint because I am very grateful for what we have) our server is slightly slow compared to some clans out there. Low pings attract players.

re: Rotten and Prophecy...I think I've seen them on our server a couple of times.

re: pings...I think that's a location thing (I'm in in the Greater Toronto Area and I have a sub-100 ping to the server), but it probably also has a lot to do with the fact that Plank is running several other games on the server at the same time (our UT server also has a CS server and a few other things on it as well) and the linux box in general just seems wonky. We'll be moving to XP, we'll see what happens then.

BTW, Kraniac, have you announced this formation of a competition team on the main website yet? I haven't seen anything in there yet. If you haven't, I can post something.

Done.

To post news, go into the "Main Menu" (available in the left side of the nav). You'll need to log in, then in the menu after that, you should have an option to post news for the site, or you might not. Depends on your privledges, but I think before I got my priv's boosted I was still able to suggest news for the site, so check it out.

Make sure you post the news to the UT chapter.

Once you submit it, somebody double checks it and then approves it live to the site.

Back