To any Military Personnel

I use a different skin, I can't see ByblosHex's posts at all, I have to highlight them. Then I get grey on blue background. ahhh, easy on the eyes. wow, this is way off topic. Turn this bus around people.

ok ok ok... Ill change it but only because Peon wants me to
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (l33tben @ Oct. 12 2004,3:40)]THIS YEAR THE F-22 WILL BE RELEASED AND OPERATIONAL....sad thing is, it is replacing our glorious F-15's
sad.gif
you will be missed F-15's

bah, no the 15s cant go.  What plane will carry the GBU-28s now, far as i know only the strike eagles can.  
mad.gif

The f-22 is faster but i dont think it can carry bigger munitions in the internal bays, maybe on the external pylons. The GBU-28 is a 5,500 lb bunker buster, the f-15 is the only plane i know off that can carry it. Its the bomb we dropped on sadam huseins bunker in the gulf war.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Corpfox @ Oct. 15 2004,10:45)]What about the F-4 Phantom? Now thats a sweet plane!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The GBU-28 is a 5,500 lb bunker buster

So the A-10 "Tank Killer", couldn't use that either?  
rock.gif

any of our bombers can also carry that 5500 bunker buster..

As far as i know the f-4 phantom is not used anymore, replaced with f-14 which is being replaced by the f-18.  The a-10 warthogs were phased out with the f-16.

Now i dont know what fighter can carry the GBU-28, i'm sure the av-8b prowler can and a-4 intruder, f-111 weasle, and any bomber can, but as fighters go (supersonic) dont know what one that can carry the huge GBU-28 paveway 3.  So as far as a sergical strike, might not happen anymore  
rock.gif

The Basic Aircraft MDS (or "Mission-Design-Series") Designation is as follows:

* A - Ground Attack [1962-today]
* B - Bomber [1962-today]
* C - Transport [1962-today]
* E - Special Electronic Mission [1962-today]
* F - Fighter [1962-today] (see note 1)
* K - Tanker [1962-1977/85] (see note 2)
* L - Laser-Equipped [1997-today] (see note 3)
* O - Observation [1962-today]
* P - Maritime Patrol [1962-today]
* R - Reconnaissance [1962-today] (see note 4)
* S - Antisubmarine Warfare [1962-today]
* T - Trainer [1962-today]
* U - Utility [1962-today]
* X - Special Research [1962-today] (see note 5)

1 "F" not only covers air-to-air fighters, but also explicitly includes ground-attack aircraft with only a secondary air-to-air capability. I.e., a combat aircraft with limited air-to-air capability is to be designated as F-for-Fighter even if it is primarily designed for air-to-ground missions. Therefore the recent change of F-22A to F/A-22A not only created an invalid designation (slashes are not allowed), but was also completely superfluous.

2 No designations were ever assigned in the K-series (all tankers were derivatives of other aircraft), which is presumably the reason why the "K" basic mission symbol was dropped.

3 The "L" basic mission symbol is inconsistent with the rest of the system, because it designates a type of equipment instead of a mission or role. It was only introduced to get a "special" designation for the YAL-1A "Airborne Laser" aircraft (see also article on Non-Standard DOD Aircraft Designations).

4 No regular designations were assigned so far in the R-series. For a discussion of the non-conforming TR-1A and SR-71A designators, see article on Non-Standard DOD Aircraft Designations.

5 Almost all recent designations in the X-series were allocated to unmanned aircraft, which was not the originally intended purpose of the designation system.

For more info, visit this Link

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Oct. 17 2004,1:09)]   * A - Ground Attack  [1962-today]
   * B - Bomber  [1962-today]
   * C - Transport  [1962-today]
   * E - Special Electronic Mission  [1962-today]
   * F - Fighter  [1962-today] (see note 1)
   * K - Tanker  [1962-1977/85] (see note 2)
   * L - Laser-Equipped  [1997-today] (see note 3)
   * O - Observation  [1962-today]
   * P - Maritime Patrol  [1962-today]
   * R - Reconnaissance  [1962-today] (see note 4)
   * S - Antisubmarine Warfare  [1962-today]
   * T - Trainer  [1962-today]
   * U - Utility  [1962-today]
   * X - Special Research  [1962-today] (see note 5)
Some examples, i cant think of example for all of them off the top of my head, but most.  
A-10 warthog
B-2 spirit
C-17 Globemaster 3
E-2 Hawkeye (aircraft carrier aircraft)
F-14 Tomcat
KC-135 refueler
L, cant think of one
OH-58 kiowa warrior (Army recon chopper)
P-3 (anti sub)
SR-71 blackbird
S-3 viking (anti sub aircraft carrier based airplane)
T-38 Talon (considered the worlds most agile fighter besides the Mig series (mig 29 to be specific))
U, cant think of one
X-29, backward sweep experimental.

Those are nice 'Mission-Design-Series', but what about the, Mig-29 and Mirage 2000? What series are they?

Back