The impact of overhealing

Hey guys whats up? its been a long time. I saw this post on the forums and found it very interesting.

There are some few key points that rather then quoting...i'll just reply to in general.

1. Healing assignments are important.

2. If a healer is running out of mana too much...maybe should time their potions so the GCD will be ready again. (or make good friends with a druid <3 *cough* innervate)

3. Downrank or use a different heal. Sandric brought up a good point. You should know how much each of your heals hit for so when your going to heal it should become natural that you know which one to apply.

4. Overhealing. It happens. But what Sandric posted is an issue. If someone is overhealing that much and they are that far below then maybe something should be looked at. Those are heals that could go to another target for effective healing which could mean the difference of a longer fight and even deaths.
4a. As a resto shaman i over heal because i can't control where my 2nd and 3rd jumps on my chain heal go. Also chain heal is the best spell for a shaman over Greater...esp since each one has an independent chance to crit. I had a 14k Chain heal Crit last week on Council... 4k was overhealing...but it topped off a Tank and 2 melee. So like i mentioned in #4. Overhealing happens, but TO AN EXTENT.

5. I saw a grid photo posted earlier. Try inverting the colors. Check out my screen show below and its on the bottom right-ISH. You'll be able to see and notice an easier deficit.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1592/wowscrnshot071808002459la5.jpg

6. From the Recount Meter i saw on the first page. The only people that probably should be raid healing are the priests and druids. But strangely the priests are not on the top of effective. Also its Hyjal...so those lovely Aboms and caster Waves make it fun for CoH healing. I love you pallies but Priests CoH and Shaman Chain heal is the top raid healing spell hands down and that should always show up on meters.

7. Click healing is excellent esp with Grid. Granted...everyone has their own play style....but maybe some are faster with a keyboard with binds...or a gamepad with binds...or even a mouse with binds. Go with whatever you are used to. I myself have always loved First Person Shooters for PC...so i'm fast with the mouse. All up to you.
7a. Clique + Grid or Healbot + Grid. I use the first but i know some that use the 2nd. Basically the same functions/ idea.

8. Visual Heals aren't bad. Its a good indication of you're being healed or a raid member is so you can manage your mana. (or recount can show you after you died that you weren't healed...lol) I mean if its a tank....i hope a healer doesn't think "Oh boy...that incoming heal is going to take him to 90%....maybe i should wait till he takes more damage so i dont over heal with my next heal." <=== a big no no. Also, people would know to keep the heals coming if its a boss that hits constantly.

I think that as a whole, we have a lot of great healers. I know we also have a few new ones that don't have as much experience. It would probably be a good idea to try and get some of these new healers into a run with some of our more experienced healers so that they could watch them heal and offer some pointers. Kara is a great place to do this, as it is a pretty easy instance for us most of the time.

I run a lot of addons. I have sometimes 2 mods that do the same thing. I use grid and clique for healing. This lets me set all my heals and cleanse spells on my mouse. Clique allows you to use ctrl alt and shift to modify mouse clicks so that you can set up a lot of spells, depending on your mouse. My mouse has 5 buttons, so I have up to 15 different spells or abilities to my mouse. It helps a lot. I am pretty sure that Grid and Healbot sync heals together, but I am not certain. I hope all our healers use one of these addons, as it makes it a lot easier.

I watch my grid a lot as to who needs what, and I stop casting on a target a lot. The only bad thing about these add ons is that sometimes you get tunnel vision and only see that little box, and miss whats going on around you. I have been trying to get myself away from that, especially on those fights where you have to watch the ground or people around you to click on something or move. I also agree that heal assingments help out a lot. When we do Mag, we usually have this set up, and it is nice to really only worry about one or two people to heal.

Please feel free to send me any ideas on what I can do to improve my healing ability or gear, and to also help me understand what I do wrong. Thanks!!

Back