The Bible

God asks me to do plenty of things. You do not need to have read the entire bible, once the spirit is within you the work of the Bible is done. Sure its good to read and I do read it, but my Faith is not any lesser because I havnt read the entire thing, nor will god hold this agaisnt me.

I think you are very wrong my friend.

You are asserting that once you have the Holy Spirit that you never, ever have to read the Bible? Only if you want to? According to you, the Bible isn't even necessary! "Thanks God, for all the work you did getting this Bible thing to me, but hey, I don't need it, I have your Holy Spirit!" If you actually READ the Bible, you'd know more about the Holy Spirit than you do now.

Once you have the spirit you dont have to do anything but love God for his grace and worship him. Forgetting to read the bible is forgivin.

You dont need the bible.... Its a helpful and wonderful tool, but your salvation will not be any lesser for not reading the whole thing. You could be saved, then die without reading a page of the bible and your salvation will be greater then you could ever deserve.

What is the point in having a tool if you're not going to use it for its designed purpose?

Do you brush your teeth with a toilet brush? NO, you use the tool that was designed for the job.

Why do you even go to church Byblos? You have the holy spirit, you're done. That's all you need? Why bother doing anything else?

When a situation comes Up I use it...

I go to church to worship the lord, to watch poeple come to christ and to learn more of the word of God.

So let's try and steer this discussion back on course...on the Bible.

What is the Bible used for? What is it useful for? Should the entirety of it be read? Is it necessary to read the whole thing? Or should you use it as a manual and hit the table of contents to solve a particular problem and then set it back on the shelf?

You should read it regulary so that God is a priority in your life and not secondary.

If something comes up you should look for it and see what God says, but usually if something comes up you can ask him directly. Alot of times I ask him questions directly and he will answer me through the bible.

You said you should read it regularly, does that mean all of it, or only portions of it? If you only read portions of it, does that imply some portions are more important than others? If so, how do you determine the important books of the Bible?

Read it regulary... I am reading it book by book and hope to someday complete it, but If I dont, I dont.

All books are important, but some like the book of Ruth dont dramatically affect our lives.

You dont determin what book is important, you just ask soemone "hey I have this problem and would like to know what the bible says on it" and then you read that book. For a newb I would reccomend Mathew so they get to know Jesus, for the legalist I would reccomend all of Paul's books. Different books for diferent poeple and situations.

You gave me a list of books that you have read before, but they actually weren't in any order. That's why I was wondering. You also gave me the impression that reading the Bible wasn't a high priority for you.

Byblos, do me a favor, look up 1 Peter 3:15, then come back and let me know what it says.  Quote the verse and give me YOUR interpretation of it.  

Thank you.

If you have time, do the same for these verses:

Luke 1:4
John 5:39
2 Tim 2:15
1 Thes 5:21
Acts 17:11
Rom 14:5

We are going in Order, But I am reading 3 Books at a time.

Ok then I will read that......

The reason of my hope? You never asked about that. The reason I have hope in my fear of God is that Jesus has died so that I am safe from God's wrath. Yes I should still fear him but I am glad to know his wrath isnt for me. If anyone asks why I have Hope knowing I am a sinner, I will tell them Jesus has given me hope.

The reason of my hope? You never asked about that. The reason I have hope in my fear of God is that Jesus has died so that I am safe from God's wrath. Yes I should still fear him but I am glad to know his wrath isnt for me. If anyone asks why I have Hope knowing I am a sinner, I will tell them Jesus has given me hope.

That is my response to that verse.

Now, keep that verse in mind when you look at the rest of the verses:

Luke 1:4
John 5:39
2 Tim 2:15
1 Thes 5:21
Acts 17:11
Rom 14:5

You will notice a theme.

Yeah... I get it. But, all things have been proven to me, I am certain in my own mind... It is my job to show the unsaved they need to be saved. Once they or you understand that you are a sinner and need to repent, after that THEN you can look deeper into it and get all specific. Because without knowing those 2 key things nothing else matters. If you know everything about Jesus except that you need him to enter eternal life then you dont know enough.

In my mind all is proven, I just dont remember where it is that I found proof. What I am trying to get along to other poeple is that hey, by these 10 commandments and there are more, by these 10 you are guilty, and by one alone you are not going to have eternal life. And some poeple say, Crap! How are you staying calm knowing this. Then I tell them the one way to be forgivin for their sins. Jesus, and then after you or whoever knows those things they should read and learn more. But without them 2 things, nothing matters....

Whats the use in knowing everything of the bible if you are just going to die and fade away anyway?

Don't you understand?  You will never be an effective teacher unless you actually know what you're trying to teach.  How can you teach someone about God without having read the entirety of the Bible?

You said, "In my mind all is proven, I just dont remember where it is that I found proof."  If you can't remember how you proved it to yourself, do you really think you PROVED it?

"Whats the use in knowing everything of the bible if you are just going to die and fade away anyway?"

I'm assuming you are directing this to me and other nontheists.  What's the use in knowing mathematics if I'm just going to die anyway?  What's the use in knowing how to drive?  You see where I'm going here?  It's called learning, gaining knowledge, bettering one's self.

If this life is all I have, don't you think it makes sense to make the most of it while I have it?

Let me turn the tables on you.  If this life means nothing and everything that means anything to you will happen after your death, then why bother to continue living?

EDIT:  Let me also add that the reason I read and study the Bible is to prove why I don't believe in it.  Wouldn't it be silly of me to sit here and say I don't believe in the Bible if I haven't have read it thoroughly?  You guys would laugh me out of the forum. Of course, you laugh at me anyway becuase I don't believe the Bible
smile.gif

Let me ask another question, in hopes of resucitating this thread.

Is it possible to have one perfect Bible?

Translations and copies are imperfect. If they weren't, there wouldn't be more than one.

Can there be ONE?

This compilation is a thing of man, created by man, edited by man. Manuscripts were excluded, some were added, some were changed.

IF God dictated manuscripts to be His instruction to Man, are you sure that ALL of those manuscripts were included? The apocrypha is a good example of religious manuscripts that have been excluded from the Bible.

Is it possible to have ONE accurate compilation of Christian manuscripts? And if so, is it possible to have an ACCURATE translation outside of the original language of these manuscripts?

Wouldn't it be better, more accurate for everyone to learn Greek and Hebrew and have this new Bible be written in the original tongue?

No it isnt possible to have a perfect Bible, and that is why the Holy Spirit exists, to cousul and teach the truth... I know right from wrong and I dont need the bible to tell me that, there is one commandment, the greatest of all commandments that if its followed you will not break any other. The bible is there if you have any specific questions about anything. Me I usually ask God a question and he answers by showing it to me in the bible.
God doesnt speak to your ear or eye, he speaks to the heart, the language its in doesnt matter because all human languages are imperfect and the language of tongues is too complicated for any of us to learn and understand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Oct. 07 2004,11:17)]Let me ask another question, in hopes of resucitating this thread.

Is it possible to have one perfect Bible?

Translations and copies are imperfect.  If they weren't, there wouldn't be more than one.

Can there be ONE?

This compilation is a thing of man, created by man, edited by man.  Manuscripts were excluded, some were added, some were changed.  

IF God dictated manuscripts to be His instruction to Man, are you sure that ALL of those manuscripts were included?  The apocrypha  is a good example of religious manuscripts that have been excluded from the Bible.

Is it possible to have ONE accurate compilation of Christian manuscripts?  And if so, is it possible to have an ACCURATE translation outside of the original language of these manuscripts?

Wouldn't it be better, more accurate for everyone to learn Greek and Hebrew and have this new Bible be written in the original tongue?
I am insterested in the answer to this question as well.

Back