P4 2.4Ghz
512MB PC2700 DDR
GF4 Ti4200 128mb
Asus P4S533 Mobo
19" Flat screen CRT
Sound Blaster Audigy
Various other things that pwn j00 nub comps
Windows 2K Service Pack 2

As far as what's open when I play that'd be AIM, Norton, and usually IE and getright. I get a solid 60 according to net_graph and I'm too lazy to change it so I get more so I'm good. :)

Agreed dont buy Alienware. Don't buy Morphware either. Toeware is far superior and he knows what he's doing compared to Morphware all at a very competitive price. ;-)

Plankeye's acctually right as the human eye can only see something like 30fps (can't remember the exact number might be 24 since that's what film runs at), and I'm not even going into Goose's wrongness. ;-)

-Trevor
-amusedtoe

Toe, is your 2.4 ghz pretty fast?  I currently have the following parts and was seriously looking at getting a 2.4 ghz as it is the lowest speed P4 to take advantage of the 533 mhz fontside bus.

Antec SOHO Server case 400 Watts
Asus P4S8X Mobo
Processor ??
Video ??
Corsair 512MB PC2700 memory
60 gig western digital hard drive
19" monitor
Windows XP

Looks like the price of the Radeon 9700 is starting to fall too with the news of the new Radeon and GeoForce cards that are coming out.

toe, you didnt tell us about your super fast modem.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
768mb or DDR ram
40GB HD
MSI KT3 Ultra2 motherboard
SB PCI512
GF4 TI4200 64mb
Skyhawk case
400watt power supply

1024x768 constant 99-100fps in most maps

Now it could go higher if my monitor supported higher refresh rates at the higher resolutions or if their was a way to turn vsync off.

In some of the maps it slows down not because of my system, but because of the halflife engine. The engine is old(It was made from the Quake engine) and they are pushing it to the limits. If they put it on the UT2003 engine it could go much faster on a little higher end system.

Just j00 wait till i get my alienware beastie... its coming soon...very soon.....

muahahah

Oh and as for the FPS.. even thought you can only register 30 ...i doubt it makes any difference in CS but i remember in my Q3 days you could actually speedhack with changning your fps...

You set it at 128 and altered your system to run that smoothly.. then you found you could jump further... Something every trickjumper needs to know...

Guys, I am glad you share your system specs...but that doesn't help us with our 'fps' problem. Can anyone offer anything that actually helps us?

rock.gif

Well Goose you need to get another article that supports that since I've read many things that say otherwise.  No we will not help you Elite that'd just be silly.  Silly Rizz, Alienware's for high fal00tin nubs. ;-)  Oh yea it's plenty fast but and will do ya quite fine unless your doing some really heavy spread sheeting since almost everything for games now a days is pased off to the video card and the CPU's not really taxed (if you've got a good one that is).  Oh yes my uber-fast 56k modem that for whatever reason I can only get to connect at 28.8. :p Prismax if you have the 40.72 detonators you can set the refresh rate for every resolution but it's onlyin D3D.

-Trevor
-amusedtoe

remember the SAT analogy questions? I'll give you the answer this time, though

toeware : morphware :: Dell : Alienware
morphware : Alienware :: Alienware : Dell
Dell : toeware :: morphware : Dell

the conclusions you can draw from that (assume Alienware is better than Dell. cuz they are. duh.)

toeware < morphware :: Dell < Alienware
morphware > Alienware :: Alienware > Dell
Dell > toeware :: morphware > Dell

therefore, in the second equation, we use more "objective" reasoning (since the first was just for comparison) if we designate Dell as having a "quality" of "1", and Alienware as "2" (just hypothetically), morphware is twice as good as Dell. and since Dell is better than toeware, morphware must, then, be AT LEAST twice as good as toeware.

yes, I left parts out, but you smarties who can figure it out can explain it to the people who don't.

TOE - I challenge you to... uh... a COMPUTER-OFF!
biggrin.gif

*takes off left glove and slaps you across the right cheek with it*
do you accept?

btw - my next system will be as follows :
EPoX 8RDA+ (hopefully with the SPD650 sound module)
AMD 2100+
Radeon 9700 Pro (After the 9800 series comes out, for the low prices)
512mb Corsair PC2700 XMS DDR-SDRAM (possibly, however, I may go for two sticks of 256mb dual-channel optimized ram, to take advantage of the ~10-15% speed increase, and still have the option of staying in single-channel)
Chieftec Dragon Full Tower Case
Antec SL400 PSU (I think it's SL...)
MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 (I'm sold on this... best mouse ever)
Cheapo keyboard from Wal-Mart (I wanna vinyl dye red-on-black)
Lite-On DVD 16x/52x CD drive
Lite-On 52x/24x/52x CD-RW Drive
Teac Floppy (just in case I want to flash my BIOS)

I would get an Audigy 2, but the SPD650 model is nVidia Soundstorm certified, so I wouldn't need it

to those who like Intel - in all benchmarks at stock speeds, the Athlon 2100+, which costs $80 less, and is clocked ~400-500 mhz less, beats or ties the P4. and, with my overclocking affinities, I can beat you all down with my 2.5ghz Athlon (thats 3000+ Barton speeds! or close... I forget...)

PLANKEYE! DONT GET THE P4S8X MOBO!!!!!
I was going to get an Intel P4 2.4B Northwood Core (until Intel seriously got me PO'd with their second stupid move), and I was looking at that board. it gets decent reviews, but the vast majority of people I asked said it was t3h suck (including linear from Bit-Tech.net, a well-respected person in this sort of thing)

if anything, Plank, try to get an Abit BH7. Good board. Or, if you have the money, a Gigabyte SINXP1394, or 8INXP. Those are top-of-the-line.
also, make an effort to get a 2.4ghz B Northwood P4, if you must stick with Intel and support evilness, because 1) it's 533mhz FSB, and 2) OC's better and 3) later stepping, more stability

I got the full tower to give me room for watercooling when I get a jobz0r... =/

Well someone failed the SAT's, heres a hint it wasn't me. ;-) Besides you were burned at the stake in another thread so shhh. ;-) You really shouldn't compare yourself to Dell they're way too good for ya maybe Compaq would be better. ;-)

-Trevor
-amusedtoe

uh.  hint : I compared YOU to dells.  think of substitution.

a = b
b = 2a + 3
a = 2a + 3
-a = 3
a = -3

now use that up there.  they're in the proper order.  like I said, I skipped a few steps.  which is why my direct proofs in geometry stankz0r.  but I still got points on them.  pwned.

oh yeah, and for anyone else other than toe, read the second 2/3 of my post up there ^^

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Guys, I am glad you share your system specs...but that doesn't help us with our 'fps' problem. Can anyone offer anything that actually helps us?

Well, I looked back to your system and you have a fast video card on a slower processor. Duron also don't have much cache memory. So if a lot goes on they bog down. Now on 3Dmark2001SE you probably get around 5000-6000. I get around 9000. I use to have a 1Ghz Athlon system with my GF4 Ti4200 in it and I got around 7000. It ran fast enough for CS. Not fast enough for UT2003. The only other thing you may check is your drivers. Mainly your motherboard drivers.

Hope this helps

Like Prismax alluded to because of when the engine was made (before 3D cards were main stream or very powerful), even in the 3D modes it still relys on the proccessor to do the majority of the work. V-Sync was apparently what was holding me at 60 though I have no idea how it got re-enabled.

-Trevor
-amusedtoe

Morph,

I bought the board a couple months ago so no amd for me. The only problem I see about the board right now is the floppy ide is at the bottom of the board past the last pci slot! With my server case, that is a long strech for a standard ribbon cable. But otherwise the board has everthing else I needed although it is a little dated now with the hyperthreading support being added to the newer intel motherboards. But oh well, I'll make it work.

And to get back on topic, humbucker's article was real good. I now get around 80-90 fps. I also found some netcode variables that I had configured for a broadband connection back when I had dsl. So I get 20+ fps more. w00t!

Back