System specs question

Goose62

Ok, Elite and I were talking and we are puzzled how we hear of some people with GF2 getting constant 100 fps. SHARE THE WEALTH ... let us know how you do it. List your system specs and your fps you usually get.

Gateway system (for the most part, i know, i know =\):
Hardware:
550 P3
448 Mb RAM
GF2 GTS 32 Mb DDR
10 Gb HDD & 13 Gb HDD
15" Monitor

Software (running when I play cs):
Win XP Pro
Trillian (sometimes)
Kerio Personal Firewall
Hare - Integrator (graphics accelerator)
NAV (norton anti-virus (Disabled when I play))
Weather watcher

Please let me know what I can do, I've tried all the tweaking sites, and practically nothing works =\

got your open gl setting right? good res in the game like 1040X680 or something like that hehe. umm i shrink the screen just one knoch so that their is a black bar ont he bottom. got the latest drivers for monitor/card?

i run
2.4 gig
512ddr
64 meg GF4 mx440
19 inchView monitor
things running in the back during CS
Nortan Both Internet and just Anti virus
my bro may be logged onto windows Xp at time but usually nothing is running on his user.

XP home is my platform and i get 90-120 fps

you all pwn me =\, i got between 20 and 30 fps, running xp and usually aim, and a pop-up stopper on a system w/ 128 mb ram, i think 400 some odd mhz, all hail the dell laptop =\

I run at 100fps cos i turn smoke detail down to awfull.. heres my spec..

p3 1ghz, 256mb sdram,gf mx400 64mb.

But i will soon be upgrading (though its a secret) to this beastie.....

www.alienware.co.uk
Area 51
Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz hyper-threading processor.
1 GB Rdram
Ati 9700 128mb Grpahix.
sueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Gateway 1Ghz Celeron
256 mb memory
GeoForce 2 64 mb
Windows 2000 sp3
Latest Directx 8 drivers
Latest Nvidia Drivers

Half Life resolution set to 800x600 for a constant 60 fps with the exception of several of the larger maps like aztec causing it to dip down to 30-40 fps in the open areas. All this on a laggy 56k connection that I connect at 40-45k on average.

I have a set of scripts that allows me to turn off things like smoke and corpse as they add to the polygons that have to be rendered. I would suggest not using add on packs that enhance the player and gun models as that adds to the polygons too.

I "had" a DELL but ripped everything out of it over 2 years ago. This is what I have, some small changes since the upgrade 2 yrs ago:

AMD Duron 800 MHz
768 MB PC133 RAM
GeForce4 ti4200 8X AGP - 128 MB DDR
Abit KT7 motherboard with VIA Chipset, which supports only up to 4X AGP

I have tried everything to get this to 100 fps but I get between 30-99 inconsistenly. I only reach 100 fps when I am dead and things aren't moving.

I've tried Powerstrip, turned off V-Sync, used block-transfer buffering, my resolution is set at 800x600, I've set the "fps_max" variable to 101, etc.

Can anyone help us? Any help is appreciated!

hmm...how do you see how many fps you are getting?

biggrin.gif

In the console, type:

net_graph [1,2,3,4]

Choose the number you like the best. 3 is my favorite.

One thing i have found with CS... is that the fps actually improves when you run it at a higher resolution if that resolution is the same as your desktop res....

Maybe it just does that on my PC but i found it much better in higher res than in 800x600....

I think i only have it one higher though..

I just got my system a year ago.

Athlon 1800+ XP
1024 GB RAM DDR
Nforce2 mobo chipset
ATI 9700 128 MB DDR
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
19inch monitor
Windows XP Pro.

I think my fps is limited some how?
I dont know.

Ok, well I really don't have my cs config infront of me, as I'm in a computer lab right now, but here is my base system...

1.33 Ghz AMD
Giga-byte 7VRXP motherboard
512 mg PC2700 DDR333 Ram
W.D. 120 Gig 8 mg-buffer hard drive
Xstay Geforce 3 ti200 grapics
no name 15" monitor
and of course the usual 10/100 lan card connection

as for programs I have running...

Windows XP Pro
Panda anti-virus
trillian (usually closed when playing cs)
netwatch pro (keep people from logging on my computer and slowing me down)
Hardware monitor

Other then that I have had no problems really with fps.  Mine stay right at 99.9 fps.  Though there has been times when I have had my computer on for days on end when my fps drops.

On a side note, I did got to tweakxp.com and bust out as much as I could from the software tweaks to make it run the fastest it could.

Tweak-XP

i have

athlon 1900+
512 ddr ram
gforce2 mx 32meg
80 gig 8 meg buffer harddrive
kt3 ultra 2 mobo
17 inch monitor

xp pro
kazaa lite
speed up
trillian

i just jumped on the server for a min and i was getting 60.4 constant fps. i know there is a way to mess with the vertical sync and get 100 fps but i havn't done it yet.

I would argue that it is not about quantity as much as it is quality. You are not physically able to notice a difference between 60 fps to 100 fps. You are only going to start noticing it once it drops down below 30 fps. As long as you are hitting above 30 fps why worry about hitting 100. If the game looks pretty and is playable it doesn't matter if it is running at 60 or 100 fps. Also, Half Life was written back in the early days of 3d video cards. Although they have made several enhancements to the engine, any card bought with in the last couple of years should be overkill for running Half Life.

I get a constant 100 fps on my new system..

mobo: Dragon Ultra 8X AGP w/ VIA P4X400 chipset
cpu: P4 2.0 Northwood
RAM: 512 DDR
video: GF4 MX440-8X 64 mb

i run 1024X768 res
ussually only have Mirc running while playing.

too bad my ISP sucks
mad.gif

Custom built:
AMD t-bird 1.1ghz
GeForce2GTS 32mb
256mb pc-133

Progs running while I play:
Trillian
BlackIce Defender

Res: 1024x768

I'll probably be upgrading this summer to a new computer, but what I've got now is plenty fast for what I do.

p3 500mhz
256 mb ram
radeon 7500
Windows 2000 sp3

I usualy get 50-90 fps depending on map and if my comp is messed up at the moment.

Plankeye, you my friend are wrong =\ Yes, I agree that the human eye really can't tell a difference between 60 and 100 fps, but the computer/hardware/bandwidth/server CAN tell the difference. If you had a constant 100 fps vs. a constant 60 fps, you'd see a difference in performance. I get anywhere from 15 fps to 100 fps ... just depends on # of players on server, # of players on my screen, # of bullets being shot, blah, blah. I think I might have found a problem though. I have weather watcher in the background, and I had to set to auto-update every 5 minutes, therefore, I'd get fps spikes (down to like 15 fps) every 5 minutes or so, so I'm either going to shut it off when I play, or just set it to auto-update once an hour or so. Thanks to everyone that has replied ... it seems as if I have one of the worst computers here =\

athlon 556 mhz (an oldie Slot A  
wow.gif
)
Asus K7M Mobo (dunno chipset...)
256mb pc133 sdram
geforce4 mx 420
Viewsonic E771 Monitor
MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 (the *good* version) (optic)
No-name 107-key keyboard with 3 win98 function keys
Win2k

stuff in the background:
Norton Anti-Virus
Pop-Up Stopper
whatever Win2k decides to open up

solid 80fps, more or less depending on whats going on.  I spend a lot of time in 90, too.

rizzo - don't buy alienware.  overpriced, heard loads of horror stories bout tech support based in latin america, shipping issues, etc... if you want, I'll build you the same system for les monies.  just front the cost for parts, shipping, and a little tip
smile.gif
and I can get it to ya for at least $400-500 less.  I have sources.  
biggrin.gif

I'm building my own comp now, and the same kit at Alienware costs around $800 more.  
wow.gif
(just re-checked it. they have stupid mobo and memory options, too. but the pricing is about right...)

Back