So...what's everyone playing now?

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
I've come to find that months away from regular gaming have left me out of touch with current games. I believe all Tulsa members of Tribe of Judah have moved to World of Warcraft. While I'm glad that our WoW chapter is very successful and wish them the best, I find myself wondering what game to play and where to go.

Before my two-month forced hiatus from gaming, I had nearly burned out on Natural Selection and UT2004 Onslaught. I had hoped to find a non-FPS game to play, but massively multiplayer games are right out of the question and I have yet to find a strategy game to surpass Starcraft in the last eight years.

I'm intrigued by the Battlefield 2 demo, but find myself wanting to return to Natural Selection Classic (not Combat). I want to try new strategy games, but a budget of precisely $0 for new games limits my options.

Half-Life 2 Deathmatch still entertains, but the novelty will likely wear off soon. Fortress Forever, the TeamFortress mod for Half-Life 2, is not yet completed.

Basically, I'm wondering who's playing what and where. I don't play World of Warcraft and I don't play Counter-Strike, so I'm wondering where I could meet up with ToJ players and find some good gaming and fellowship.

:confused:

I had hoped to find a non-FPS game to play

Good luck on that.

8 out of 11 of my PC game icons are FPS games. :D
- Counter-Strike
- Counter-Strike: Source
- Half Life 2
- Half Life 2: Team Deathmatch
- Half Life 2 Demo (Dont ask!)
- BrainBread
- Sven Co-op
- BattleField 2 Demo

Most non-FPS PC game:

StarCraft: Brood War

Most non-FPS Console game:

Resident Evil: Outbreak File #2

I personally am playing WoW, more for relationships than game play.

I am not buying anything new until Age of Empires 3 comes out.

AOE 3 website

I never liked Starcraft. But, I played the AOE series to death. I did not like Mythology.

I am also not a big FPS either.

The games I play the most in order:
UT2004
Battlefield 2 will probably go here :)
Guild Wars
CSS
HL2DM (not very often)

For el PC:

Day of Defeat
Battlefield 2 (upon EBGames' In-Store-Pickup)
Counter-Strike

Xbox:

Burnout 3
Halo 2 (upon arrival of shipment)

The game Im mainly playing online is Runescape. Its p2p for only 5 bucks a month! It also has a f2p for those who want to try it out. The graphics may not be the best, but its gameplay is addicting. Sometimes I play halo online.

I haven't played anything since I quit WoW a couple months ago. Partly because I have nothing to play, and partly because I'm relatively busy now because I'll be heading off to college in a couple months.

If/when I play games again, I'd probably go back to Starcraft or UT2004 if I ever end up getting it. Maybe some console RPGs too.

For the comp i have been playing Counter Strike, Guild Wars, and Call of Duty, on the x-box i have been playing Greg Hastings Tournament paintball and Halo 2. my comp kinda got screwed up so i have been messin with it the past few days so i have been playing the x-box a little more. But i also play hl2 CTF and cs source (when it works).

Tek7 said:
I had hoped to find a non-FPS game to play, but massively multiplayer games are right out of the question and I have yet to find a strategy game to surpass Starcraft in the last eight years.

Tek, have you tried Dawn of War? That's the Warhammer game developed by Relic (makers of Homeworld, Impossible Creatures, etc.) I haven't picked it up yet myself, but the demo was *really* cool (IMO). I've played the demo of Starcraft way way back, and it seems to me that Dawn of War might be right up your alley if you're looking for a replacement. Best part: no resource collection; it's all passive, gained by capturing and holding certain points in a map (think U2:XMP but in a RTS). And the graphics are fantastic: individual combat and "finishing" animations for each unit, depending on which unit they're attacking.

I'm trying to beat Homeworld 2 (arrrgh! It's so hard!) and Splinter Cell: PD before I pick up Dawn of War. (Yes, I'm totally suffering from a game jet lag right now)

Because of my wrist being in a cast, I can't play much of either of those games ('cept Splinter Cell since it doesn't require a lot of quick movements), so I've been playing a little freeware RPG called The Spirit Engine. It's *very* high quality for a freeware/hobbiest game. The story is great, the pixel graphics really nice looking (a lost art, IMO) and the game world is quite original, integrating cowboys, zombie-hunting priests and magic users all into the same space. The combat system is also very original, never seen anything like it in another RPG, and it requires a little bit of strategic thinking as well.

And if you've got a Gameboy (which I think you do) and like turn-based combat, check out the new Fire Emblem game, Sacred Stones I believe is the title. The first Fire Emblem (in North America) on the GBA is a favourite (I'm replaying it right now) and apparently the new one doesn't muck with the formula too much - just enough changes to make strategic/level up decisions trickier and of course, a new top-quality storyline.

The little time I have for gaming is usually split between Guild Wars on the PC or Splinter Cell Chaos Theory or Forza on the Xbox.

Tek7 said:
I believe all Tulsa members of Tribe of Judah have moved to World of Warcraft.

Har! Not quite. I'm into UT2004, Guild Wars, CS Source, and Halo 2, with the occasional game of Tribes Vengeance added as a preservative.

If I were you I would try Guild Wars. The lack of a monthly fee makes it more palatable than WoW and I just like it better, personally. And there's always room for you in our 2k4 TDM, no matter how little time you can commit.

And thanks to my brother the RTS fiend, I have Dawn of War. I don't like real time strategies a lot (too much memorizing hotkeys and not enough feeling like you're actually doing something cool), but if you're even slightly inclined towards them, it's a great choice. Although I would add that UT2004 is somewhat like an RTS once you get to the competitive level. There's a lot of resource management (in the form of weapons and powerups) that you've got to keep track of.

Happy game hunting.

Last edited:
Shagz said:
Tek, have you tried Dawn of War? That's the Warhammer game developed by Relic (makers of Homeworld, Impossible Creatures, etc.) I haven't picked it up yet myself, but the demo was *really* cool (IMO).
Downloading the demo now. ^^

I'm trying to beat Homeworld 2 (arrrgh! It's so hard!) and Splinter Cell: PD before I pick up Dawn of War. (Yes, I'm totally suffering from a game jet lag right now)
I have copies of Homeworld and Homeworld 2 lying around somewhere, but could never get myself past the learning curve.

I have several other older games, but I usually dismiss any game that doesn't have a current and large online player base or has a steep learning curve.

so I've been playing a little freeware RPG called The Spirit Engine. It's *very* high quality for a freeware/hobbiest game.
Aye, I'll pick that one up, too. Much <3 for freeware. ^^

And if you've got a Gameboy (which I think you do) and like turn-based combat, check out the new Fire Emblem game, Sacred Stones I believe is the title. The first Fire Emblem (in North America) on the GBA is a favourite (I'm replaying it right now) and apparently the new one doesn't muck with the formula too much - just enough changes to make strategic/level up decisions trickier and of course, a new top-quality storyline.
Aye, I played a few minutes of the first Fire Emblem and it seemed rather spiff. I just didn't get that far into it because (1) it seems to have a learning curve and (2) Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is my first pick for a turn-based RPG. I haven't played FFTA yet and, given SquareSoft's post-Chrono Trigger decline, it may not be all that enjoyable. I'll give all three games (both Fire Emblem games and FFTA) another look.

kraniac said:
If I were you I would try Guild Wars. The lack of a monthly fee makes it more palatable than WoW and I just like it better, personally.
Though I thoroughly enjoyed the beta, there are three reasons I won't play Guild Wars:
  • Time. As a social gamer, I tend to dedicate too much time to MMO games. I go back to college this fall and hope to work part-time as well. That leaves little time for gaming. As it is now, I'm hard-pressed to search for a job, spend time with my wife, lead ToJ and CGA, and find time for the few games I do play. Oh, and I need to dedicate time to writing again, too. *blush*
  • Money. Though there's no monthly fee for GW, there's still the cost of the initial purchase--and the expansions, when they come along. I know the expansions aren't necessary for continued play, but I wouldn't want to be "left behind" in an MMO.

I think Guild Wars is an excellent game. After playing in the beta weekend event, I admit I was tempted to pick up a copy. Still, I knew that my wife was too busy to pick up a MMO and I wouldn't play the game unless she joined me.

And there's always room for you in our 2k4 TDM, no matter how little time you can commit.
I will keep that in mind. ^^

I think my time for competitive gaming has, unfortunately, passed. During the short time I felt skilled enough to play TeamFortress Classic competitively (and did: one match as a ringer) or interested in competitive CS (again, serving as a ringer for one match), I would have had to spend less time developing ToJ. I think, in the end, I made the right choice.

As long as I don't need to be very skilled to play as a ringer for the UT2004 team, then I'd be interested.

And thanks to my brother the RTS fiend
Does your brother have any other suggestions for RTS games?

Happy game hunting.
Thank you. ^^

Last edited:
Shagz said:
I've been playing a little freeware RPG called The Spirit Engine. It's *very* high quality for a freeware/hobbiest game. The story is great, the pixel graphics really nice looking (a lost art, IMO) and the game world is quite original, integrating cowboys, zombie-hunting priests and magic users all into the same space. The combat system is also very original, never seen anything like it in another RPG, and it requires a little bit of strategic thinking as well
I have that, I got it off this great site gamehippo.com. I'm a huge freeware addict, I haven't actually played that game much though.

maple story is a very rich grahphically looking 2-d platform rpg. its pretty fun

I've downloaded the Maple Story client. So, where do I go from here, to try it out?

And Maple Story is a free game, yes? I hope?

Back