Rising costs

I have to admit, your "God is punishing us through our economy..." and your excessive use of smilies hit me kinda weird too.

It is not that ethanol is bad, or even inefficient, its what the ethanol is made from that counts. 1 acre of corn = ~350 gallons vs 1 acre of switchgrass ~1500 gallons. You tell me which is worse.

If you care coming from an emissions point of view, then I cannot help you there. I don't know how much they pollute.
the raw amount of gallons isn't material it's the amount of energy per gallon. The amount of energy per gallon of ethanol is at least 10% LESS than per gallon of gasoline. Diesel has more energy per gallon than either of those(which is why diesel engines are more fuel efficient than gasoline engines).

Been hard for me to get a ride to school for the last 2 weeks as there have been no buses. Anywhere from $4.04 - $4.45 depending of where you buy it. It's about $7.34 or so in the villages that are far out from the cities.

I just checked the Toyota Prius as a base example. It starts at £18,000 for the base model in the UK ($36,000) and in the USA the base model is $20,000... Allowing for any differences i think we still come out worse.

New cars (small 2 door hatchbacks) start at around $16,000 buying new.

Ok...that is a Japanese car...try a european one...

FYI: The dealer in Alberta, Canada that I checked had the Toyota Pruis starting at $29 500 here...

Last edited:
A Prius? Ewwww... why would you want a Prius?

Keep in mind that European countries have tariffs on almost everything. The price hike is the fault of your greedy country! HAHA!

For the record, the USA isn't greedy, it's the politicians that are.

*would never want a Prius.

I just picked the easiest one to compare and went to the main Toyota site for UK/USA..
Remembering £1 = $2 is a large factor. Historically it would be around 1.5:1 which would put the two prices around even.

Actually, running cooking oil out of an old diesel produces 75-78% less CO2 emissions than regular diesel fuel does. Diesel engines were originally (as in back around 1900) designed to run off of Peanut oil, not a fossil fuel. Diesel fuel (the fossil fuel) was easier to get to market back then so the engine fuels changed.

5,000 posts!!!

Interesting. Maybe thats why they shut him down.

*would never want a Prius.

I just picked the easiest one to compare and went to the main Toyota site for UK/USA..
Remembering £1 = $2 is a large factor. Historically it would be around 1.5:1 which would put the two prices around even.

How can you factor that in when a job that pays $20 000
here pays 20 000 pounds where you live......?

How can you factor that in when a job that pays $20 000
here pays 20 000 pounds where you live......?

You have to realize the currency is relative. A person may be payed in a currency with a greater value, but their cost of living will still be a similar %. If you go to europe however things will seem more expensive (via VAT and greater value of the euro) while someone can come over and get literally steals due to the power of their currency.

Even though something may appear similar in the US and Europe, the various taxes + different cost of rent + localized wages means that they will have vastly different prices even though the item may only be worth a certain amount.

At the end of the day, everyone spends to their earnings. But if you are really interested then click This.. the demo will let you compare birmingham to some us city (i was told a coastal place is a nearer comparison)

EDIT: but i wish the job offersin american dollars was the same in english pounds.. i would be sweet :D

A sturctural engineer pulls about $60-$70k from the first lists i pulled off google. Here they would pull £25-30k which is around $50-60k... so the pay is roughly the same.

Consider a 1 bed apartment in London will set you back around $500k

EDIT2: im really not that interested to keep looking this up.. I know 2 things/.... 1 i am poor.. 2 i will be poor if i move to the usa.

Last edited:
I work hard, I play hard... *cue "everybody dance now" music.

dah.......dah, dah dah, dah......

There is some element of truth to the idea that the cost of living in one nation does not change relative to currency and earning in another. But that element of truth is smaller then most think.

Living in Canada and having the US to the south and being a fairly large free trade block, the lack of substance between this ideology is stagering. Car's made for Ford, GM and Chrysler are made in Canada or the US and sold in Canada or US regardless of which country they are made. That is a car made in Ontario Canada might be sold in Canada (Canadian version) or the US (American version and there are only two differences betweeen the cars, Canadian version have running daytime lights and a vehicle immobalizor incase of theft). A few years back, the Canadian dollar was trading to the USD at $0.70. That is if you took C$1.00 and converted it to the American dollars, you'd get 70 American cents. The difference in price of vehicles was blamed on the variances in currency. Same with books. All books are printed with a CAnadian and American list price. And the CAnadia list price was often 30% to 100% more then the American list price, even if printed in Canada.

Now that the two currencies are at parity (that is they are close to a 1 to 1 exchange rate), guess what happened? Well, prices didn't come close to parity. A $40,000 truck in Canada compared to $20,000 in the USA a few years ago is still $40,000 in Canada and $20,000 in the USA.

The idea that costs between nations (cost of living or luxuries) being tied to thier relative currency power has been blown out of the water in truth. I think prior to the EU and the Euro coming into being, there were many of the same issues in Europe.

Using the car manufacturers in North America really highlights my generalization that greed is a driving force in the economy today.

Another real life example is Bombardier of Canada, maker of Water jet propelled toys (and airanautical toys as well). The waterjet toys have no difference between what is made and distributed between the two countries. Yet they were being sold to US distributors for far cheaper then to Canadian distributor. Canadians went to the US to buy the toys because you could save thousands of dollars doing so. Bombardier told US distributors to stop selling to Canadian. So did all Major automobile manufacturers (from North American to Japanese and Korean manufacturers). They all told American Distributors to stop selling to Canadian residents.

Given that they could make 40,000 from a Canadian dealership or 20,000 from a US dealership for selling the same car (btw, to add an aftermarket daytime running light module and an anti-theft system shut down device to an American modul costs a few thousand dollars or less and most times, the American models have the devices simply disabled, so they can be turned on for Canadians).

Back