Rising costs

Jeshurun

As a result of rising fuel costs, food and most everything is on the rise.

Many of us will have to change our budgets accordingly and will will be forced to make decisions that may upset our families.

Online video games may no longer be an option or a a getaway from whats really happening in this world.

Taking corn and changing it to fuel is not the way to go because as that happens the price of our food goes up as well and then we have both rising rapidly.

So its gonna come down to fuel and food. Do we struggle financially from here on out?

Could this be what will bring out Mr.666 with some revolutionary idea to save mankind from the brink of disaster?

Lol Anyhow my point is this, what will be more important for us do to then with everything begginning to rise dramatically ? Food on the table , gas in the car or dare i say it playing video games.

Just some food for thought lol so to speak.:rolleyes::)

As a result of rising fuel costs, food and most everything is on the rise.

Many of us will have to change our budgets accordingly and will will be forced to make decisions that may upset our families.

Online video games may no longer be an option or a a getaway from whats really happening in this world.

Taking corn and changing it to fuel is not the way to go because as that happens the price of our food goes up as well and then we have both rising rapidly.

So its gonna come down to fuel and food. Do we struggle financially from here on out?

Could this be what will bring out Mr.666 with some revolutionary idea to save mankind from the brink of disaster?

Lol Anyhow my point is this, what will be more important for us do to then with everything begginning to rise dramatically ? Food on the table , gas in the car or dare i say it playing video games.

Just some food for thought lol so to speak.:rolleyes::)

Unlike everyone here, I've stopping playing computer games due to my addiction. Video games limit to 2 hours a day or less.

Going to doctors (due to my seizures), NA meetings, exercising, etc.

I am annoyed about the BioFuel, wasting food for gas. Water for gas, that is a good idea.

I don't drive, own a car, have a drivers license, etc. I use busses/skytrains to go and come back from work. It isn't as effective as driving but it is cheap.

I'm also annoyed USA delaying help for Burma's crisis. :mad:

Last edited:
Very interesting topic. Me and my wife are finding that alot of our luxurys are being cut due to this very thing.

We have had to cut down our restaurant visits drastically. Gas is up to 4.19 a gallon here. The cost of living these days is ridiculous. I would like to go to school, but i don't see that happening any time soon.

Just so everyone knows about ethanol, we aren't wasting "our" food for fuel. The corn we eat isn't yellow corn, which is the corn most farmed in my area (Iowa). Yellow corn is used for feed for livestock, which I believe, does effect the rise in food costs some. Not in the way people like to say but if it costs more to feed you food then the food itself will cost to more to raise. Now, I agree that ethanol is by no means perfect and we are wasting too much money trying to make it perfect, but it is a start to a better fuel. I personall believe that Hydrogen will be a lot better then any bio-fuel.

You guys have it easy. We pay £1.10 per litre at the pumps... Now for a quick conversion.

To USD - $2.20 per litre
To Gallon - $10 per gallon (imperial)

Dont forget car insurance at $80 per month, MOT at $5 per month, tax at $15 per month. This is without any running costs. If you live in london you can expect congestion charges, parking permits and road tolls...

welcome to England, pass the vaseline.

I'm also annoyed USA delaying help for Burma's crisis. :mad:

I think you need to read the non-anti us stuff out there..even msnbc has it right this time..the military leadership is not allowing us in..otherwise we would have been there nearly if not first due to military assets already being in the area that are simply waiting on permission to be there.

Rising costs is one of the reason for us moving to Ohio. Just to get an idea, our current apartment is about 200 or so square feet bigger than our place in NY, and it's cheaper, and nicer. Our power is less than half of what it was in NY, so there ya go. And I'll be making a little more money here too, so it works out in that right. Of course, having a baby makes the bills quite a but higher, but, it's worth it :D

Last edited:
Just so everyone knows about ethanol, we aren't wasting "our" food for fuel. The corn we eat isn't yellow corn, which is the corn most farmed in my area (Iowa). Yellow corn is used for feed for livestock, which I believe, does effect the rise in food costs some. Not in the way people like to say but if it costs more to feed you food then the food itself will cost to more to raise. Now, I agree that ethanol is by no means perfect and we are wasting too much money trying to make it perfect, but it is a start to a better fuel. I personall believe that Hydrogen will be a lot better then any bio-fuel.

You may be correct in saying some of that however you may not know that the government is giving farmers up to $750,000.00 dollars to change their crops over to that type of corn to make biofuel and so the farmers are gaining while we all pay the price for their change over at the pumps and grocery stores and pretty much everything else soon as well. Because farmers are switching over to make biofuel then those farmers who supply food have no choice but to raise prices. Supply and demand remember we need to eat in order to live.

H20 is the way to go and it should have been emplimented years ago.

Last edited:
You guys have it easy. We pay £1.10 per litre at the pumps... Now for a quick conversion.

To USD - $2.20 per litre
To Gallon - $10 per gallon (imperial)

Dont forget car insurance at $80 per month, MOT at $5 per month, tax at $15 per month. This is without any running costs. If you live in london you can expect congestion charges, parking permits and road tolls...

welcome to England, pass the vaseline.

Isn't buying cars there like dirt cheap though?

Ethanol does not need to be made from corn. General Motors recently invested in a company that can make ethanol from almost ANYTHING organic. The technology is in place. They are just building up the infrastructure.

I've said this once, and this will always be my opinion: LIQUID BASED FUELS HAVE GOT TO GO. Solar panel technology is become increasingly efficient. With nanotechnology, some companies have claimed to recover 80% of the suns energy. Furthermore, nanotechnology has made it possible to increase the life of batteries tenfold or more. The future lies in battery powered electric vehicles, fueled by solar panels. Our government should be pouring a lot more money into nanotechnology research and development.

Last edited:
I just checked the Toyota Prius as a base example. It starts at £18,000 for the base model in the UK ($36,000) and in the USA the base model is $20,000... Allowing for any differences i think we still come out worse.

New cars (small 2 door hatchbacks) start at around $16,000 buying new.

Ethanol does not need to be made from corn.

You are quite right tjguitarz, actually simple switchgrass product over twice the amounts of ethanol then yellow corn.

And yes Jeshurun, the government is giving farmers around the amount for biofuels, but that's only a drop in the buck compared to the amount of government funding they are getting for other possibilities. Believe me I have quite a few farmers in the family and they constantly complain about having it so tough, as they pull away in their 2 year old Cadialic. I really think the farmers are getting more then enough breaks, time for them to fend for themselves.

Edit: Nissan has already announced the release of domestic models of potential Hydro/electric car for 2010. More about their FY2010 here. (site a little dated)

Last edited:

yes we are. One of my clients is an Iowa corn farmer. He's loving life right now because ALL corn is being used for ethanol. My former church deacon was commodities trader specializing in foods and corn futures are through the roof due to the demands put on the corn crop by ethanol conversions. Ethanol is a dead end..it takes more energy to make than it produces AND engines that run on ANY mixture of ethanol have worse efficiency due to the lower energy output per gallon of ethanol than gasoline.

Has anyone ever thought that small children have way too much energy? Can we capitalize on that somehow?

Last edited:
The problem is high fructose corn syrup contaminating our food supply. It slows down metabolism and results in diabetes and other metabolic issues. The feds tax the heck out of sugar cane and subsidize corn growth (which has no real value besides being a traditional food). So now we have children growing up overweight or unable to think properly because they are pinging off the walls. To compound this parents now opt to feed drugs to their kids instead of raising them properly so we end up with several generations with social and emotional issues. One in three drop out of high school despite child left behind which is actually closing some schools because their test scores are unable to "improve" every year (most of these schools are likely to be in impoverished areas). So now generally impoverished areas will have to send their children even further to get an education, resulting in the higher likelihood that students will drop out.

Don't you just love government regulation?

Last edited:
Back