RIFT - Questions about the game

Welcome Teb!

This game has a few very interesting points that make me excited!

The very first zone for defiant after the begining instance that is, is quite large. It feels bigger if you do not take the racial movement skill or if you do not have a mount.

The changing world that Ewok pointed out about invasions is very interesting indeed. There was a point where they did take over the starting area. These monsters were able to be killed at that level but it took the people the zone coming together and working as a raid group to kick them out of the zone so that it could go back to normal.

Never seen this is a MMO before.

The end game instance content is partly in instances you have seen alread. I am still unaware if there are some that is end game only. This made me upset when I first heard it.

BUT Then I found out that they put work in this system to make them more then buffed up mobs that you have already killed.

This was explained to me in this way. One of the instances you go into has a group of guys mining on a wall, and they give you a mission about something they are looking for. When you come back to this zone later you find that they have infact broken through and opened up a whole new wing of this same place that will be more difficult and have some new type of enemy.

Some of these kinds of changes to the world make it much more then a rehash MMO!

I cant tell you how exited this makes me!

Ewok are you saying in your post that the open beta opened already? I thought it started on the 15th.

My bad on the wording, I edited the post ;)

And can I say I am super excited Teb is checking it out. Teb was my hero/brother in WoW for years.

As for end game, the 10 dungeons that are spread through out as you level all have a "hard-mode" version that is level 50 only. These are 5 man end game content. Then there are 10 man rifts that are end game only. Then there are 20man raids that are end game only. There is more stuff alluded to as well, but have not seen it in beta yet. Closed alpha reports have sneaked out that there is a lot of content for level 50 and that it's a main focus of the developers.

http://www.riftjunkies.com/2010/12/17/rifts-endgame-progression-and-raids-explained/

Last edited:
lol. Thanks I thought I was missing out on something! Actually turned it on and started patching just to find out if I was missing something.

Ok, so one more question about souls, that I'm a little confused on.

Do you start with one soul basically, and then get more as you progress? Also, let's say you have all three unlocked and have talents invested in all three - do they all work at the same time, or do you have to switch between one of the three? Also, how do you switch from a, say, PvE build to a PvP build? Are the three souls saved to a profile, that you can then switch to another combination of souls? Sorry for the bombardment! I guess my main question is.. is there any penalty for not knowing what to invest in initially?

edit: nevermind, i found this: http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Soul

Last edited:
You will have chosen 3 souls by level 5, I believe. Then at level 13 you get a quest so you could swap out those 3 for ANY souls left in that class. (somewhere from 8-12, with a PvP-only soul) You can put points into each of the 3 currently equipped souls just like you would in WoW.

You get 1 "role" at first and can purchase up to 4 total. A "role" lets you save a combination of 3 souls with points and hotbar configuration. Then with a 2 second cast you can switch out your role to any of the 4 you have.

You can respec at any time by visiting a NPC and paying for it.

Last edited:
Lets hope the OB works this time >.>

I think it will... if it doesn't, i'll have extra time to work out the issues....

If i like it, dunno if i'll buy it yet.... i'm trying to save to upgrade my computer :)

Anyway.... Does the game have a chat profanity filter?

E-mailed my OIT dept., seems like they'll check it out today. Got a quick reply because I asked for an update on my ticket. They were all like "lolwear do u life", and I was all like "Hair."

So, fingers crossed.

Nevermind. They checked and the ports were open, so it has to be the game itself. Even tried disabling firewall. It's just not meant to be. :(

/goes back to WoW when it arrives :p

Not authorized to play. OIT said it may be the game not being able to handle connections behind NAT. Not a biggy though. I want to throw some Earth Shield on fools! ^_^

Not authorized to play. OIT said it may be the game not being able to handle connections behind NAT. Not a biggy though. I want to throw some Earth Shield on fools! ^_^

Gerbil understands but is sad :( . <Throws self into nearest rift to end it all T_T >

Have you searched the tech forums keero? If you really want to try, i could lend you my account to test it, and see if it's account related. Not like im playing.... same errors as every other beta event has had >.>

Keero,

CLIENT/PATCHER
* Even more better corrupted data detection.
* If the client cannot connect to the Rift servers using the normal ports [6000-6020], it will attempt to connect on port 80. Users with otherwise blocked ports should be able to connect to the game after this change.

Oh, and I also have to run it admin mode sometimes, otherwise the game doesn't work 100%.

Last edited:
I submitted yet another ticket. It still doesn't work, even with trying another account, changing my password, and redownloading the client. ;__;

Not. Authorized. To. Play.

I submitted yet another ticket. It still doesn't work, even with trying another account, changing my password, and redownloading the client. ;__;

Not. Authorized. To. Play.

Seriously you aren't missing that much Keero it doesn't have any hidden features you haven't seen. It's just free and slightly Warhammery so I thought it would entertain you for a few days. It still has mmo problems like grinding so it's not reinventing the wheel. Are you even the custom class making type?

If it will make you feel better I can occasionally make the "you've leveled up" sound when you kill me on TF2. You've only got to collect thirty more Gerbil tails to get some 1337 gear :p .

Last edited:
Back