RIFT - Questions about the game

ewoksrule

The web-link thread became a question/answer thread so I copied it and moved the discussion here.

This thread is good for general questions about the game.

Last edited:
I used the Soul Calculator, and I don't understand a couple of things... 1) why are there redundant characteristics in the blocks? There's 6 Divine Cascade skills at the bottom of the Purifier soul 2) I can't find Restorative Flame that's supposed to be under Cleric Purifier... RF is listed as an ability in several of the blocks, but I'm not finding it anywhere 3) Are the lower level blocks what actually show up on your action bar? If so, how do you activate the upper level Slumber item in the Druid soul? There's probably other occurances of these situations that I'm just not understanding... thanks! :)

edit... hmmm... i think it's broken... went to http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/builder/?calling=cleric and found the trees to be correct.. found Restorative Flame and there weren't any redundant blocks. Although the calculator is broken right now, the other one at riftrolebuilder has Slumber in the same place, and I don't understand if it shows up as an ability on the action bar or not... if so, how do you tell what abilities are actual buttons that you push on the action bar?

I used the Soul Calculator, and I don't understand a couple of things... 1) why are there redundant characteristics in the blocks? There's 6 Divine Cascade skills at the bottom of the Purifier soul 2) I can't find Restorative Flame that's supposed to be under Cleric Purifier... RF is listed as an ability in several of the blocks, but I'm not finding it anywhere 3) Are the lower level blocks what actually show up on your action bar? If so, how do you activate the upper level Slumber item in the Druid soul? There's probably other occurances of these situations that I'm just not understanding... thanks! :)

edit... hmmm... i think it's broken... went to http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/builder/?calling=cleric and found the trees to be correct.. found Restorative Flame and there weren't any redundant blocks. Although the calculator is broken right now, the other one at riftrolebuilder has Slumber in the same place, and I don't understand if it shows up as an ability on the action bar or not... if so, how do you tell what abilities are actual buttons that you push on the action bar?

Zam will display a duplicate ability if you start to mouse over them before all the icons load otherwise I haven't had problems (maybe you have some browser conflicts IDK?). I guess it's the price of being more graphical. I checked the purifier soul tree the bottom of the soul tree has no duplicates and Restorative Flame displays for me. I've been on the site you've linked to and others only Zam had the points = level though one other did have the graphics. Use what works for you or you like :) .

3) Are the lower level blocks what actually show up on your action bar? If so, how do you activate the upper level Slumber item in the Druid soul? There's probably other occurances of these situations that I'm just not understanding... thanks! :)

Passives, buffs and active abilities are all intermingled on the soul trees and can be on top or bottom. So what you put in your action bar can be from the top or bottom. Based on what I've looked at in warrior (because I haven't played or researched other classes much)...

Passives: Most work like you would expect by flatly increasing a stat or improving a ability passively. However, based only on my warrior browsing, each soul tree appears to have one ability that increases a stat based on every point spent in that soul tree up to a limit. The limit has been 30 points in the ones I've calculated (actually it's 29 and a half).

Buffs: Will say they last an hour. Well you know the ones you cast outside of combat.

I'm looking forward to joining up Reborn!

It's been a couple years since I've played. I met some of you then on War Hammer. I'm back and RIFT looks very interesting! I plan on being on Tuesday unless the rapture comes first:)

Is this game centered mostly on PvE or PvP, or does it balance both?

Also, are there a lot of dungeons, and are they good? What is PvP like? Is it done on the open-field or in a separate area? How does one level up and get gear upgrades? Is the game Pay to Play? Is it easy for a character to transition from PvP to PvE? How's the story (honestly, I didn't think the cinematic was very good and just seemed a bit.. cheesy)?

I'm considering this game, but I've been disappointed by nearly every game that's come out recently for the PC, especially MMO's, and RPG's. I'm willing to try it out simply because it has a large ToJ following and looks promising.

Thanks for your help. Oh, and I looked at several of the links you provided and the wiki page - thanks for those, it's very useful.

Is this game centered mostly on PvE or PvP, or does it balance both?

Also, are there a lot of dungeons, and are they good? What is PvP like? Is it done on the open-field or in a separate area? How does one level up and get gear upgrades? Is the game Pay to Play? Is it easy for a character to transition from PvP to PvE? How's the story (honestly, I didn't think the cinematic was very good and just seemed a bit.. cheesy)?

I'm considering this game, but I've been disappointed by nearly every game that's come out recently for the PC, especially MMO's, and RPG's. I'm willing to try it out simply because it has a large ToJ following and looks promising.

Thanks for your help. Oh, and I looked at several of the links you provided and the wiki page - thanks for those, it's very useful.

I only got to level 11 and did not actually pvp nor go to a dungeon or raid yet, however, I'll give my thoughts on it so far. I expect the game to be pvp centered while pve will be padded a bit by rift encounters. I don't know how to say it but it's like everything that works in other typical mmorpgs is in rift and is polished but I get the feeling it's not very "glittery" nor is there a huge amount of content.

Is it done on the open-field or in a separate area?
There are PVP and PVE servers for each of those.

How does one level up and get gear upgrades?
Aside from the typical ways you can get gear through fighting Rifts too. Rifts give their own currency with which you can buy gear. There may be more I'm just a newbie.

Is the game Pay to Play?
Yup it's by subscription. They do have some deal where you get a buck or two off (locked in as long as you don't cancel) if you pre-order or something. Check their site I'm not buying it I'm just playing in the free open beta come the 15th.

Is it easy for a character to transition from PvP to PvE?
Uuuuuuuh I could be completely wrong but it looked like you could transfer a character at any time. I base this on 5 seconds of clicking past the server screen, noting it looked like you could, but not trying, and not caring to check further into it XD. Can't check now the servers aren't up of course. Google is everyone's friend! (well except maybe the Chinese XD :p )

How's the story (honestly, I didn't think the cinematic was very good and just seemed a bit.. cheesy)?
IDK about cheesy (what mmorpg are we comparing this to? :p ) but I'm not feeling a strong plot is going to be forth coming. Defiant/Guardian sides and the main plot point, Rifts are the result of a seal on ancient evil breaking, ho hum, are typical. There where some cinematics at start and of course background info in text. Story seems to do it's job but nothing engrossing so far.

For my part (if I was playing past the beta) I can see myself tinkering with character combination for a bit trying to perfect a hybrid that I both like and is effective in pvp. Don't let the ad's mislead you though the combos are definitely finite. I expect there will be several dozen or so "go to" builds with tons of subtle personal variations in a few months. Many combos simply won't work as well together as another resulting in this. For example, if I read the ability trees right, as a warrior you can only block with a shield (or with one special ability). This makes all blocking abilities useless if you use a two handed weapon or if you use a shield it makes two handed abilities useless. Still Rift has more room for class customization than any other mmorpg I've seen. I expect the game will attract the Warhammer type player but if it endures will be based on if it has decent end game content (which no one has seen yet).

In my opinion try the game if you want PvP, class customization and some Rifts to break up quest grinding. Rift is nothing revolutionary it just borrows a lot of things that work. Also I keep hearing Trion listens to it's players, take what you want from that.

Thanks for all the info. As I look into it I'm getting more and more excited.

Sorry about the obvious questions, and thanks for answering most of them in your links, posts, and such.

I do have one final question I haven't been able to find elsewhere: how big is the world? Referencing this: http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Zone - how big are the zones (are they all similar size?) and what are subzones?

Thank you. Oh, and I signed up for the beta.

I do have one final question I haven't been able to find elsewhere: how big is the world? Referencing this: http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Zone - how big are the zones (are they all similar size?) and what are subzones?

Thank you. Oh, and I signed up for the beta.

At level 11 I only got out of the instanced beginner area (not big) and into the first section of the main map. It was not claustrophobic but it was obvious by the mountains, sea and quests I was still being pushed down a corridor to a specific path. I spent a good deal of time running back and forth between rifts and saw all of the beginning part up to "the bridge I obviously cross after finishing the quests on this side of the river" (well I saw everything except whatever those pvp things were in the water). So up to level 11 its not that big but as ANY part of the map is a potential "run here to fight a rift" I was not eager for a bigger map (i.e. longer run) just yet. I expect it opens up later on but was still newbie friendly at level 11. Also I didn't have a mount yet as you get them at level 20.

Oh looking at that map I think, strains brain to remember, the first section of the main map was to the right of the black area in the center of that map. You can see a destroyed bridge thing there and that's where you pop into the main map. The bridge has a dotted line going in between the halves. I'm guessing since Guardians pop in on the north side of the destroyed bridge Defiants pop in on the south? I think I explored the area north of it up to where you see water on each side of the road (zoom in). So yeah the map gets quite large. I am also going to guess the dotted lines represent the separations between zones. If so I would have explored about an eight of the first zone.

BTW there is a nice feature that if you have the map open it becomes transparent as you walk. Not to mention they let you customize most of the UI.

Gerbil sleep now later! :)

Hey Teb! Come join us for a week of open beta! Drink the Koolaid!

Zones are not huge but they do feel big enough. Whats different from other MMOs is that each zone is so dynamic. Rifts are spawning all the time in random places and if people don't close them then the invasions begin. This can change the layout of the zone in dramatic ways. So I think that while the zones are smaller they are much richer in content then most MMO zones.

There are collection items to find, they hide under rocks and tree stumps and in corners of the map, so there are reasons to explore every nook and cranny.

I think there are 10 or 11 dungeons at launch and all of them have a lvl 50 expert/heroic version. That is a ton of endgame content. Plus there is 2x 20man raids at launch, and a bunch of 10man rift content. I hear the first content patch will include the open world PvP zone of port Scion which is currently only a BG at launch.

Best thing I have noticed is the excellent Customer Service and Developers that really listen and make changes according to what the community wants, not just the crying vocal minority. I had a problem where my Gamestop CE headstart code said it was already claimed. I got a CS response to my ticket in 24 hrs asking me to scan the receipt, I did and the next day they emailed back that my account was personally flagged to have headstart and all the CE goodies.

If you love the beta as most all of us playing have, then you can get in on founder pricing. It goes as low as 9.99 a month if you sub for 6mos at a time. That makes it the cheapest MMO on the market. I think there are 4 of us in Reborn already committed to the 6month plan. It is looking good that the game should fun for at least that long. The added bonus of the PvP server with open world objectives and leveling via PvP really sealed the deal.

BTW there is a nice feature that if you have the map open it becomes transparent as you walk. Not to mention they let you customize most of the UI.

The map is truly awesome! Was not expecting the UI to be so sweet in beta.

I hear in beta 7 the Soul Tree is now a UI element not a full-screen! Go devs listening go!

I signed up for the beta, but does someone have to invite me? Hope to see you soon!

Nope, its open beta next. You will get an email shortly with your invite.

edit: the last beta phase 7 will be open not closed and it is the 15th to 21st.

Last edited:
I... preordered. I think the open doesn't begin until the 15th? Well, anyway, since I preordered I should be able to play as soon as I dl. Hopefully see you soon. My char name will be Teb :)

Ok, got the Zam soulbuilder to work now. Am I wrong, but it looks like there are certain souls that are specific for PvP.. ie. Mage Archmage, Cleric Templar, and Ranger Infiltrator? They use the word "player" instead of "enemy" for their skill descriptions.

Yes you are right. Each class has 1 soul tree that is pvp-only. It is unlocked with 2500 favor (pvp currency) I believe and then other ranks unlock more.

Back