Reality?

Shyfroggy

:p Ok

:confused: I have a question......

:rolleyes: are you ready????

:eek: here it comes......

:cool: hold on, got to make sure I word it right......

:confused: What is reality?

:) I have my reasons for asking this - I'll share them after I see some posts!!!!

Goose62 said:
Impossible to answer with our finite human minds.

I don't think you give us enough credit, and by doing so, you put yourself on dangerous ground, akin to the Dark Ages.

The attitude you are presenting is one of, "I can't answer it, so I won't even bother to think of it".

Look around you, there are things you take for granted every day that science has given you, your car, your cell phone, your computer, that at one time were inconceivable. If scientists had shared your outlook, we would still be in caves.

So don't take the easy out and say it's impossible to answer, because while it may be, it's not impossible to ponder.

is there a universal reality?
what may seem like reality to me may be totally different than what might seem like reality to somebody living in say egypt.

Or are you talking about something like Sliders, where there are infinite worlds with infinite "realities"?

I think we have enough problems dealing with THIS reality, let alone dealing with an infinite number.

Shyfroggy said:
is there a universal reality?
what may seem like reality to me may be totally different than what might seem like reality to somebody living in say egypt.

It's hard to answer your specific question since you have yet to define what your definition of reality is.

Going off of my definition, "the totality of real things and events", then yes, there is a universal reality, since it is the TOTALITY of all real things.

Now some may PERCEIVE that reality differently, but that doesn't change the singular constant.

Dark Virtue said:
I don't think you give us enough credit, and by doing so, you put yourself on dangerous ground, akin to the Dark Ages.

The attitude you are presenting is one of, "I can't answer it, so I won't even bother to think of it".

Look around you, there are things you take for granted every day that science has given you, your car, your cell phone, your computer, that at one time were inconceivable. If scientists had shared your outlook, we would still be in caves.

So don't take the easy out and say it's impossible to answer, because while it may be, it's not impossible to ponder.
Why are you so quick to assume that I didn't think of the answer and categorize me and my thoughts into the Dark Ages? And you contradict yourself saying that if scientists shared my outlook, we'd still be in caves, while saying my answer may be correct in your next paragraph.

Just because someone didn't get to the answer you were thinking of, or went about it a different way, doesn't make them wrong and you right.

Scientists/technology has nothing to do with reality, so your comparison is not valid at all. Stop finger pointing at my answer and stick with the OT.

I would say that reality is the sum total of all things that are true about our universe. And truth then could be defined like this:

"Truth is that which corresponds to reality, identifies things as they really are, must be able to be expressed in propositions, and is sourced in the God of the Bible, who is the author of all truth."

Goose62 said:
Why are you so quick to assume that I didn't think of the answer and categorize me and my thoughts into the Dark Ages?

Sorry, I didn't make an assumption, I made an inference based of previous posts.

[/quote] And you contradict yourself saying that if scientists shared my outlook, we'd still be in caves, while saying my answer may be correct in your next paragraph.[/quote]

You're taking my reference out of context. I was referring to a time when it was essentially against the law to question the status quo.

Just because someone didn't get to the answer you were thinking of, or went about it a different way, doesn't make them wrong and you right.

My response was meant to be cautionary. Notice that I said you don't give US, you and I, mankind, enough credit. Yes, we have finite minds, but that doesn't mean we can't ponder infinite questions, which is what your post was inferring. If you meant something different, please clarify.

Scientists/technology has nothing to do with reality, so your comparison is not valid at all. Stop finger pointing at my answer and stick with the OT.

Science has EVERYTHING to do with reality, whether it be a physical science or a philosophical one. Therefore my comparison is spot on.

Would you mind explaining why you feel this is not so?

How, exactly, do you propose to study reality without science? Or do you still believe it's not humanly possible to do so?

Berean Todd said:
I would say that reality is the sum total of all things that are true about our universe. And truth then could be defined like this:

"Truth is that which corresponds to reality, identifies things as they really are, must be able to be expressed in propositions, and is sourced in the God of the Bible, who is the author of all truth."

You had me up until the last part.

How is reality, or truth for that matter, sourced in a being that sits apart from reality and is unable to be tested or verified?

Dark Virtue said:
You had me up until the last part.

Well that dashes my impressions of you then. Most modern thinkers (being actually post-modern in philosophy) have a huge problem with the entire thing. Now modernists, yes, would agree with everything up until the last clause.

How is reality, or truth for that matter, sourced in a being that sits apart from reality and is unable to be tested or verified?

By the fact that all of this reality was begun by said being, and maintains its existence by the power of that being.

Back