Raid focused?

Epikfail

I know we are going to be on a PVP server, which is cool with me. I always found it annoying to not be able to fight opposite factions in all areas. It is just part of the game. But I wanted to know if we will be more of a raiding focused guild. I love raiding and the fellowship it brings, and having a Christian guild that was top 10 on our server is one probably one of my best memories about WoW. I know we have the potential to be within the top 10 easily and still not neglect our real lives. We only raided 3 days a week 3 hrs at a time and we were top 10. its doable, and I want it! Who's with me!?!

please start them no earlier then 7pm PST. There is no way west coasters can eat dinner and get kids in bed properly with 6pm start times like most guilds do.

Could do 3 nights at 2 hours a pop for no burnout. 7pm-9pm for west coast - 10pm to 12am for east coast..

Last edited:
thats fine with me. If we cut out an hr each night, we may be able to work out 4 nights a week or something. Honestly, we wont know how long it will take to clear content until we start actually doing it, and how long it takes SWTOR to come out with new content.

Or how long it will take everyone to actually progress to end-game raid type content.

Personally, I have to be super vigilante in the time I commit to playing the game. I think raiding is awesome and amazing and utterly destructive to my life. It has led me down a dark path in my past.

I could specifically commit to one night a week, and the rest of my playtime will occur after my wife goes to bed. This typically gives me ample time to participate in stuff, but it's a fairly inconsistent so I'd be around, I just have a hard time saying with 100% confidence that I could always be on time.

Last edited:
Well, I assume like most new content, we will spend the first couple of weeks farming instances for our gear, and it wont take very long at all before we have 10 players able and willing to start a progression team. with 60+ i believe we are at right now, and a lot of us being college students who will be on christmas break, we will tear through the early content.

The average time to level cap is 200 hours according to BW. Of course we are more hardcore then that.

well... that means that as a poor college student just out on break, who will be saving as much money as possible for a wedding, I will be spending most of my time at home. I will be capped in 2 weeks lol. what is the lvl cap anyways?

The cap is 50, the last I heard. And I know its going to take me quite a while to get there, especially the first time around, cause I gotta watch every single one of those quest cutscenes.

O I will be doing the same, but even if we watched every single one, I highly doubt its even close to 10 extra hrs of playtime.

Please no, being raid focused kills any casual atmosphere a guild might have.

Last edited:
I would vote for a balanced view where the guild is casually hardcore about raiding. This means everyone is welcome and real life comes first but when raids happen we take them seriously. With preparation and progression.

The guild should place fellowship first and all aspects of the game, but have a strong plan to address raiding from the beginning so expectations are set.

Of course this is only my opinion.

That is exactly what I want. I certainly do not think of a hardcore raiding guild as raiding 3-4 nights a week, but I do want to be raid focused, which means taking them seriously.

how so? I have been in plenty of raiding guilds who still did plenty of casual stuff.

Because you end up having people that only care about raiding and can't be bothered to do anything else with members that don't raid, let alone anything casual. It's exactly what happened in Redeemed.

I personally love to raid and would love to have a good raiding team in TOR. I however will be taking my time to get to max lv. WoW was great when I first started and everything was new. Flame and I took our low lv gnomes and swam up the coast exploring. What coast? I had no idea but we got killed a few times by these snake/fish people and we ended up somewhere in enemy territory.

I miss that in wow. I burn through content to get my toons up to cap and farm content to be able to raid and it just isn't as fun anymore. I still enjoy playing WoW but the thing I am looking forward to the most in TOR is all of the story content via the quests, planets, codex, ect.

Because you end up having people that only care about raiding and can't be bothered to do anything else with members that don't raid, let alone anything casual. It's exactly what happened in Redeemed.

I wouldn't blame that on raid focus as much as just peoples bad attitudes.

True enough. Let me clarify my position a bit. I don't mind raiding, it can be really fun, it's just that it's really time consuming, and requires some commitment. So what can happen, that I really don't want to see happen, is a schism between those who are devoted to raiding, that those who don't really have the time or the desire.

Of course, I'm basing this all off of my experience in WoW, it's entirely possible that nothing like this will happen in TOR. It's all speculative, since the game isn't even out yet.

Last edited:
True enough. Let me clarify my position a bit. I don't mind raiding, it can be really fun, it's just that it's really time consuming, and requires some commitment. So what can happen, that I really don't want to see happen, is a schism between those who are devoted to raiding, that those who don't really have the time or the desire.

Of course, I'm basing this all off of my experience in WoW, it's entirely possible that nothing like this will happen in TOR. It's all speculative, since the game isn't even out yet.

I'm pretty sure Grim is going to have the /wl add function somehow when raiding, first come first serve whether your a hardcore raider or not. Besides, were talking about Raiding like its something off the bat, in actuality it will take us some time, as a guild, to reach that end content. I remember Redeemed having the main raids go off at like 6pm, and then for other casual people, they raid at different times or with different toons, which is why we have officers to try to put stuff together like that. Just because Grim will state official Raiding times doesn't mean that's the ONLY raiding time, we can very much so, start our own umbrella raiding group. As for casual playing, I consider myself a very casual player. When I was with Redeemed, I loved being a healer and I loved Raiding when I could. Sometimes I was able to make the Raids, sometimes I wasn't. And sometimes I just didn't feel interested in Raiding and just wanted to quest or play an Alt. I never felt ostracized because I made those choices. And yes you had the Raiders that raided all the time, but thats who they are. I really see no reason why this Guild should not be focusing on End Game content. Doesn't mean everyone has to feel that way, your not gonna get kicked from the guild for NOT participating in Raids... there were plenty of times, in Redeemed, where we could not put a Raid together because people couldn't make it, or people didn't feel like Raiding. We're all Christians and were not gonna judge one another for not participating in Raids all the time, it would be nice to have our Guild in the Top 10, but not a necessity for our guild to function and continue to thrive, prosper and spread the good Word.

I'd love to see this guild be successful enough to both raid and do other stuff without hurting itself in either area. As has been previously stated it takes a fair amount of time to reach max level, so raiding isn't a priority for me right now. Raiding has always been one of my favorite parts of an MMO. I will likely be one of our first max level characters and one of our consistent raiders - that's just how I like to play the game. Once we have the capability of raiding you can bet that I'll be right there trying to get us ready to do it.

One thing I will say is that I don't really care that much about overall raid ranking. I like making progress and killing bosses, but as long as everyone is doing their best then I don't care about the rank. My philosophy as a raid leader has always been to try to take what is required to have the highest level of success in the content we plan to do, but not to set anything more than that. Like Naz said, something of a first come first serve system where everyone who is available and capable at raid time has the same chance of coming along as everyone else who can fill the same role. My top goal in a raiding system would be to make it as reasonable as possible and eliminate any bias/unfairness - both in loot and in who gets to raid, since those two tend to be the biggest causes of dispute in a raiding system.

That said, I do NOT plan to be head raid leader for Called from Darkness if I don't have to be. Of course I'll happily lead raids and will be heavily involved in guild raiding policies (both as a guild leader and raider) but I think that having the guild leader and head raid leader be the same person is putting too much power and responsibility in the same person's hands. I'm thinking that once we start getting close to release that I'll start making polls to see who would be interested in that and other officer positions, so start thinking about that!

I'll happily discuss the balance between raiding focus and a more social/fun events focus another time, I just don't have the time right this moment. I think that raiding, if done correctly, shouldn't cause nearly as much trouble as you might be concerned about with other guild events. My thought about that right now would be to possibly have another officer-type position for someone to coordinate non-raiding guild events (a not-raid leader:)).

Last edited:
Back