Priests

I don't think it is a ding on holy priests as to why shadow is becoming more popular. I think it is because some of the bosses now requires a healer and a half. It is also nice to have someone able to convert to healing with little issues.

I have also noticed that a healadin or a resto druid with a shadow priest does some nice healing together. This allows for a little more group survivability.

But I still see a need for healing priests.

One last thing, I know a few of us do not have the rank 3 prayer of fort out there. It might be nice if we had a little list of who still does not have it so we can make sure that everyone gets it with out having to hit the AH.

The drop rate is terrible.

I think the idea of having the bubble not trigger global cooldown would be a good idea.

Don't get me wrong, I still see holy priests making a valuable contribution to instance runs, unfortunately it's the growing sentiment I see that they aren't particularly desirable for 5-mans over any of the hybrid healers (when those healers are healing specced).

I think that holy priests and resto druids should hands down be the dominant healer. Noticably superior to hybrids like paladins and shamans, but currently that's not the case. My rationale is that while paladins can off tank (and heal, even if holy specced), and shamans can add to party dps via totems (and perhaps off tank as well I suppose, but far less effectively), holy priests and resto druids can only heal (and perhaps do a bit of auto attack via wand or weapon in the case of druids). Other than largely insignificant dps contributed via wands or auto attack from a staff or something (in the case of a druid to proc ooc).

I do agree that a number of instance runs do require 1.5 healers now. I have no problems there.

It's sort of Old News (TM) on the forums, but holy priests are no longer main healers for end-game. Nihilum (#1 raiding guild) and Death and Taxes agree that palis are the best main healer right now. Here are a couple of links that may be of interest.

Interesting stuff, and I'm inclined to agree. The mana effeciency of a holy pali is just amazing.

I levelled a druid to see which was the better healer, the fully resto speccd druid or my priest. Until tbc came out (not beta but the full version) I would have said that Wend, gear notwithstanding, was a far superior healer. I found that the druid HoT coupled with the priest healing abilities made an uber healing team. Now I think if I actually played Jaid to 70 and spent as much attention to gearing her up as I have to Wend she'd actually be easier to take along to instances, especially coupled with a shadow priest with Vampiric Embrace.

I did think of levelling a pally to compare one with the resto druid and holy priest but *shudder* that would mean having to level one. Yeck!! So I think its safe to assume that you won't see me running around with a healadin!!

(and even though it might be tempting to spec shadow to get invites, Wend will stay as a disc/holy priest..at least for the time being)

Tell you what, you trade with me, I'll give you Allanon to put a pink dress on and I'll snag Wend and get her busy on Shadow :)

SO I have a question, would it be better for me to be shadow or heal like I am, I'd rather be heal speced, but if it means I get to run more I'll go shadow, just wondering what you all think.

-Valk

Last edited:
I would stick with holy for a bit. Paladins are already taking a small hit to healing and I am curious what Blizzard does down the road to resto druids and healadins.

It may or may not be better to spec shadow, but I will say this about my priest: I rolled my priest to heal.

If I wanted to be a dps class I would have rolled a warlock or mage. I love playing with other shadow priests, and they are a great class/spec, but if it should ever get to the point where I felt that I was not helpful as a healing specced priest, I would rather just stop playing Salve than respec him.

This is completely my opinion though. If you think you would enjoy playing a shadow priest more, go for it.

there are advantages to each spec - holy/disc specs are great main healers. They also do well in groups where multiple targets are taking medium amounts of damage.

Shadow/Disc priests are extremely useful because they do damage and heal at the same time. In certain cases (usually boss fights) they can even restore mana to caster groups.

I'm not saying that one spec is better than the other, but each is useful in their own way.

Yeah, I love playing Valk as a heal speced priest, but with the amount of priests we have in our guild, I'm just thinking it will be hard to find a group for anything (having that problem now, having to use pugs). I guess Valk will stay holy, thanks for your posts

It is not just because of the amount of healers we have, I have had multiple runs fall through for no tanks or mages being on. It use to be there where no healers, now there are no tanks or mages.

It is not just because of the amount of healers we have, I have had multiple runs fall through for no tanks or mages being on. It use to be there where no healers, now there are no tanks or mages.

Sorry. heh.

Nah, I know I'm not the only one. Where are Zennen, Ambriana, Durruck, etc all at?

If you enjoy playing your priest Ben as holy then I would suggest you continue to do so. Don't just pick your class/spec solely by the current demand. As Angus said, there has already been a shift in current guild class makeup. If you truly enjoy your class/spec you will distinguish yourself and make room for yourself in the guild & sga.

Just my two cents,
Sean

You mean there is a hunting season on Druids????

I see most druid specs around, except balanced. I hadn't seen a moonkin in a really long time until this past weekend when we had one in our SV run.

I wouldn't be too worried about playing a healing class. We've got a supreme shortage of end-game healers; most of our druids are not resto, most of our priests are shadow, and about half of our pallies are prot specced.

Back