Planetside

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That "bloat" is what sets these games apart.  Calling RPG's an FPS with "bloat" makes the extra leveleling elements sound unnecessary, and it is necessary or it would only be a fragfest.  Kill, get killed, respawn, repeat.

Isn't that what RPG's end up to be when you reach lvl 50? In DAoC, that's all I saw, a frag fest. Except it was all based on my character and not my skill. That's why I prefer FPS. When I hit someone with my weapon, it hurts them regardless. Because that's the way it should be. I have a friend who isn't good at FPS. So he prefers RPG because he doesn't have to be good to be good, understand? Well that's all fine and good, but I'm good at FPS. So I don't want to play an RPG where someone can murder me over and over just because he's a higher level or has better stats or "bloat" like that. In an FPS, I can kill with a knife no matter how big your gun is. In Planetside, a lvl 1 can still kill a lvl 20. THAT's an RPG frag fest minus the "bloat". That's what I mean.

I downloaded the beta from fileplanet this week, and I got to say...this is a very intersting spin on fps games. I might drop Shadowbane and pick this up instead when it is released...I don't know yet. Very cool stuff.

Cory

How is shadowbane? I've only heard a few people that actually liked it, a lot of people didn't. Is it very popular?

Its all about pvp. The first 10 levels you cannot leave what is called "newb island". Once you hit 10, you pick your class and from then on you can go to the main islands. Once you hit 21 you must leave newb island and are forced out to the main ones. from the time you step off, there are 3 safehold cities but those are only good until 35, then its either join a player guild or go solo and solo isnt' that easy (so I hear). anyway from 20 on its open pvp, not for the timid, thats for sure. I love it, very thrilling stuff and the first 20 levels are easy, you can make it to 20 in 2-3 days (depending on the groups you get) at about 4 hours each day. there is no hard cap but the soft cap is around Rank 6 (lvl 60). after that there really arn't any monsters that give viable exp.

There are aprox 10 servers and i'd say that they all have 1-2k people on each. Mourning and Death probably have the most as they are the Unofficial Role Play servers (people who follow the games lore". Been interesting so far, and when inter-server travel is implemented, it will get even more interesting.

If you want some specifics, let me know, or check it out.
www.shadowbane.com

Cory

Well, the DAoC chapter had a name other than ToJ, so I'm wondering if we should have a different name too. Although we haven't gotten authorization from Tek yet, I'd like to see some ideas.

I love Rangers. If the name has Rangers in it, I like it. But right now I can't come up with anything specific...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Justice @ May 04 2003,5:05)]Although we haven't gotten authorization from Tek yet...
You all have my authorization for a Planetside chapter--on the condition that a staff is in place before the chapter is formed. This is the only requirement to form any chapter, as long as the game is popular enough to recruit enough chapter members and the content of the game is acceptable.

Well I suppose I should start hiring people. I need a few good men... or women. Do we have any women gamers?

Okay, back on track. I need a list of anyone and everyone that is planning on playing. I wanna know your experience in FPS, and in clan management. I wanna know if you were in beta, and what your cat's name is.

Email me at justicetoj@hotmail.com

another new chapter...lol

what ever happened to the nwn, jkII, and war3 chapters? it seems like as soon as they were conceived they died...

actually it seems like now the only chapter of any merit is counter-strike, although starcraft and ut still have some following

yes yes i joined because of WC3 chapter exo-slayer played against some ToJ guys in an AT game and then told me about it at church and the next day i signed up. hehe its sad my chapter is dieing
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TastyWheat @ May 06 2003,5:30)]actually it seems like now the only chapter of any merit is counter-strike, although starcraft and ut still have some following
The DaoC chapter is still up and going. It might not be the largest but most of them have been around a long while.

Cory

I personally never really got into any of the games we currently have chapters for except for UT a long time ago. I play better FPS's than CS, I play better RTS's than WC3, and I just couldn't keep playing DAoC. So I haven't been a member of a chapter in a long time. It'd be great to have this PS chapter, it'd give me something to do.

Well I was slightly wanting to play this but i was expecting a FPS mmog to be like $6-10 a month but its friggen $12.99 that is more then everquest which is 12.95. If they put out a free demo I will prolly try it but i highly doubt im ever gonna get this game.

Guys,

Sorry to drag this thread out of the depths of the forum, where it's been languishing for some months, but I didn't really feel the need to start a new thread.

Thing is, Planetside now has a 7 day free trial.  Once you download the (gasp!) 1.5gb worth of client, and patch for an hour or so, and grab a code from Fileplanet (and touch your tounge to your knee while singing kumbaya in a Spanish falsetto) you can jump on and play.  No credit card required.

So, I did.  Started playing 2 days ago, amazingly ran into an awesomely helpful guy right at the outset, proved my worth and got invited to join one of the top 10 outfits on my server.  Neat!

Problem is,  I've only got 5 more days of 'freedom'.  After that, I'm going to have to:
<ul>[*]Never play again ... and let me say that this is probably, for overall gaming experience, one of the best games I've played.  I'm not that 31337 when it comes to FPS's, but I seem to do ok here.  The outfit I'm running with has a great emphasis on strategy and tactics, some awesome squad leaders and really helpful guys in general ... and I'm having a blast!  But, this might be my only option, unless I can ...
[*]Convince someone to pay for me to continue to play.  Heh, 'nuff said!  Which leaves:
[*]Get a credit card, and pay US$50 for 90 days worth of play which my non-earning-millions self finds to be a rather paltry idea at best![/list]
So there you have it.  I'd certainly encourage anybody who enjoys FPS's at a higher level than simply frags to give it ago, as it can be quite intense.  You've nothing to lose except potentially hours of sleep while you agonise over whether to continue to play or not.  I haven't really noticed much in the way of ub3r-leetness by the players, and I think things like certifications and implants encourage people to play their part ... in my 2 whole days of gameplay I only encountered one griefer, and they were summarily executed on sight by our whole side ... most amusing.

Finally, do any other ToJ guys play this regularly?  I'd be interested to say hi!

Although I get constant 300+ pings, 'cause I'm in Australia. :(

Catchya,

Brak :)

I totally forgot about this thread lol...

I just spent the last 7 days doing nothing but playing the trial.  I got to level 11 (very close to 12) and for most of the time I belonged to one of the better outfits on Konried (Cry Havoc).  This game is definitely fun when you get into the group thing.  Other than that, its just monotonous zerging, capping a base and then giving it up to go somewhere else.  The 13 bones a month is what is turning me away from buying it though.  At this point in time, there just isn't enough content to make me dish out money for it.  Now, there are some incredible improvements in gameplay that i've heard are supposed to get out soon (outfit-owned bases, new continents, etc.), but until then I don't think I'll stick with it.  It takes about 6 months on average for bugs and gameplay issues to be worked out I think, and then if its truly a hit it will take off like EverQuest did.  At that point I might re-enter.

Back