Planetside

Justice

I've been invited to an outfit. So I'm wondering if there is any possible foresight into the feasibility of ToJ chapter. This outfit that I was invited to is by invitation only, not something you can just apply for. It is very professional, close-knit team. I am interested. But my first choice would always be ToJ. Any idea?

If I remember correctly the more people are interested in starting/joining a chapter, the more likely it will happen..
And since it is still in beta dunno how many people around here is in the beta program....

I'm interested, but I haven't even played the game yet Mr. Lucky Beta player person!
tounge.gif

justice u can be in both
only thing is u can t be in a comp team for both so i say go for it if they are that close and when and if we make planetside ( when it goes gold) then we may form the chapter

There are no competition teams in MMO's. And I can't be in both. However, if I stick with ToJ, we could have an alliance with them. They are a small group. I've only talked to like 5 of them. Only ones I've seen interested in PS. If we had even 5 people we could make a chapter/outfit. I would think having 200+ members in this clan that we'd have more than that interested in what could be a huge game...

Tip #1

Do not crowd around the vehicle terminal while under attack.

Shortly after gunning down a mosquito in the air with my reaver, I headed to his base. I found a group of them crowded around the vehicle terminal trying to get in the air to stop me. Poor chaps. As one guy hopped into a new mosquito, he was met with a barrage of rockets.

Angelos 2
New Conglomerate 0

And yet another pilot hops into a reaver this time, to be met with rockets. They throw rocks at me, but I just chuckle and fire on. I decide to let loose a barrage of rockets at the terminal itself. Bye bye troops.

Angelos 5
New Conglomerate 0

I ended up finally being gunned down. I jumped out at the last moment, but they just gunned me down when I landed on my feet. I did my damage though.

Anyone know what the montly fee is gonna be? I find it hard for me to justify paying monthly for a fps but if its as good as all my friends say maybe.

I'm sure that just like every other game in development or beta that SOE has, the fees are not officially announced yet.

I played DAOC for bout 6 months.
Im bout to give A tale in the Desert demo a try but doubt im gonna pay montly for it.

Dark Age of Camelot is an FPS with fancy coding. You point, you pick a spell, you fire. The difference is that when the fireball hits, all this overhead is there to see if it actually hits them and how much damage it does. In an FPS, when the bullet hits, it hits. So if you will pay monthly to play DAoC, then there is no difference in paying for Planetside.

Unless you aren't any good at FPS. That is a valid difference.

With a RPG you feel like you getting somewhere by leveling up, finding items, a moving story,  in most fps there is no experience your good based on your skill in fps its the same thing over and over killing the enemy (not that bad a thing) . I think id rather play Halflife 2 with no monthly pay then Planetside.

Yes im good at fps played everything from Halflife, CS, TFC, Dues Ex, Unreal Tourney, AvP, quake. Lots of console fps but i still cant justify paying montly for it unless it is truely amazing.

All you ever do in RPG is kill people. If you really think about it, it's the same thing. Except in FPS you have no level treadmill.

I just reached lvl 10 in Planetside tonight. 2 more levels and I get another implant. I can't wait. Still deciding what to get...

Oh and Exo, if you want a reason to pay for PS, I have 1 reason for ya;

Think all of those other free FPS, add 3000 people, mix in some tanks and a HUGE world...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Justice @ April 30 2003,1:18)]I just reached lvl 10 in Planetside tonight. 2 more levels and I get another implant. I can't wait. Still deciding what to get...
Justice, I keep seeing you post things like FPS = RPG + Bloat and things like that.  While I do agree to some extent, I think you are seeing why ppl who like RPG's prefer them sometimes over straight FPS games.

The anticipation of gaining your next level, improving your character, and then using those improved abilities to kill or accomplish something is one of the main draws of an RPG.  So at least in that aspect Planetside does contain RPG elements.  

That "bloat" is what sets these games apart.  Calling RPG's an FPS with "bloat" makes the extra leveleling elements sound unnecessary, and it is necessary or it would only be a fragfest.  Kill, get killed, respawn, repeat.

Anyway, PS sounds like a really unique hybrid of FPS and RPG.  I'm gonna have to try it once it goes gold.  Is PS just a constant war, or are there other things to do?

Am I willing to form a Planetside chapter for Tribe of Judah? Yes, IF and ONLY if I have dedicated staff members in place to run the chapter immediately after it's formed.

Do I think there will be sufficient interest for a Planetside chapter? Certainly. But again, it all depends on staff.

What do I personally think of the game? Well, I jumped straight into the game after installing and patching the beta early last week. I'll withhold my full review until I have a chance to play more of the game, but I will post initial impressions.

- This is Tribes on a really, really big map. If you like Tribes, you'll love Planetside. End of story for Tribes fans.

- To its credit, Planetside has the least intimidating learning curve of all MMORPGs I've played so far.

- Do all MMORPGs suffer from long spans of time running from point A to point B with dull and uninteresting terrain? Yes. So this is not the fault of the game designers, but a flaw with all MMORPGs. Unfortunately, removing this particular problem implies some terrible balance problems. I will say that Planetside goes a long way to prevent player boredom by introducing vehicles. I have to admit, it was rather nifty sitting in the gunner seat as our transport vehicle, with six other players sitting inside, while our pilot took us thousands of feet above the ground and into a battle hotspot. That was, unfortunately, just when I had started enjoying the game and moments before the game crashed. But hey, it's a beta. It's to be expected.

- If your system is older and contains a CPU with less than 1GHz processing power, DON'T EVEN BOTHER. I have 1GHz chip, 256MB RAM, Windows 2000 installed on my drive, and the game would freeze every now and then as my machine chugged along. My system was also incapable of running UT2003 at higher detail settings, but, to be quite frank, Planetside's graphics do not even approach the level of detail and, dare I say it?, beauty of UT2003's system.

- Which brings me to my next point. The graphics are good, but not great. Now, to be fair, I'm not running the highest detail settings. Also realize that this is a MMORPG and maps are exponentially larger than those player in regular FPS games such as Quake 3 and UT2003. So, really, no one's expecting the graphics to be spectacular. But still...I was a bit disappointed. Maybe all the hype led me to develop unrealistic expectations.

- The interface for Planetside, at least in regards to communication, feels clumsy and awkward. It was frustrating moving and positioning windows that were overlayed on a first-person perspective view. Switching to the third-person view and simply hiking the learning curve a bit did help, but the interface could still use work.

- Consider for a moment the implications of the first massive multiplayer online game hyped as a first-person shooter and not a role-playing game. While there are role-playing elements involved, the first-person shooter elements are thrust to the forefront and thus will attract more FPS players than RPG players. If you've played Counter-Strike and any online RPG, you already know where I'm heading with this. In the interest of keeping this post shorter than a novella, I'll say this: If you play this game, be prepared for it to devolve to "d00d! i pwn3d j00 h4rd! gh3y!" and all the other vile nonsense that makes those who actually completed grade school cringe in repulsion. I know that there's no escaping this sort of gamer in any genre (if parents aren't paying attention to the MA-17 warning on Half-Life when they pick it up for their 10-year old, they won't see the T rating on most RPGs), but understand that this game will attract "l33t pwn3r5" in droves. Form clans, guilds, or whatever, or be stuck in the cesspool that is modern gaming. Fair warning.

Okay, that's way more than I wanted to type. -_- Please remember that these are all personal opinions and are not meant to be a professional assessment by any means. I've never liked Tribes, so I'm probably not the most qualified person to review this game. Also, I need to play more than three hours to figure out what to think of the game. ^_^;;

Overall, unless you're a hardcore Tribes player, I can't really recommend paying a monthly fee for this game. I'd recommend waiting for Star Wars Galaxies, but we all might be dead or raptured by the time our great-grandchildren see its release. If you're desperate for a good MMORPG, pick up Dark Age of Camelot and its expansion pack and hook up with our chapter guild.

Expect a more detailed review in the coming week.

Tek7, amateur game reviewer, over and out.

Tek, thanks for the in-depth review.  That's a lot of analysis from such a short gaming time, i'm impressed.  This does confirm my fears about this game though.  I thought that it looked like Tribes with a few character improvment pieces added to it.  

If indeed that is the case, save your monthly subscription fees and play Tribes2.  Same stuff, team vs. team, land and air vehicles, very cool indeed.  And no subscription fee.  But there are no levels.  If you die, you respawn, just like every other FPS.

I didn't like Tribes personally because of a few factors.  I only played the original tribes, shortly after it's release, so maybe this isn't fair - but it was horribly unstable.  There were lots of game crashes, and in fact, the reason I quit playing was because something broke after a patch and I couldn't even boot the game up.  Next thing you know I was playing Everquest and never looked at it again.  I assume alot of this was fixed and probably improved in Tribes2, although I did notice that it's ratings weren't stellar either.

But I must say this:  it was fun, the gameplay was excellent.  It was much like a futuristic version of Battlefield 1942 CTF.  But I digress, no need for a Tribes review.  Like Tek said if you love Tribes that I'm sure takes it to the next level.

Personally, I think I'll be skipping this one unless I start to hear way better things about it.  The game seems worth playing, but not paying for the game and the monthly subscription.  At least not at this point. I think my plan now is to finish the JKII single player campaign and then I'll probably play DAoC. Unless I get into the SWG beta, that is.
tounge.gif

Also, on that note, check out this SWG beta contest at gamespot out if you are interested in that.

Tribes is a newbie. I don't even wanna hear it.

I played an MMO WAY back in the day. Yes, there were graphical MMOG's back then. And it was a war game. And it had vehicles and air planes and bombers and ground troops. And this was waaaaaaay before tribes was even thought of. So this idea of war is nothing new.

HOWEVER, I still encourage you to try it. There is nothing more intense than flying your ship straight into a force so big you wish you'd stayed at homebase. You don't understand the feelings you get in a game like this until you watch a pair of troop transports fly overhead and drop enemy squads onto your base... When you respawn only to find a MAX aiming at you... When you go to enter the server and see there are 3000 soldiers waiting for you, and that's just beta!

There are MANY reasons why this game is worth the money, but the root reason is simply that it is MMO. You can't beat that with a stick.

And Tek, I'd like to know what your server/empire is. Here's my rundown;

Dalton/Terran
Johari/Vanu
Markov/NC

I would definitely be interested in running the chapter for this. I know how involved MMO's can be, so I expect to put most of my time into this game.

Back