Pally Place

Consider throwing a rank 1 consecration after your SoR, assuming no crowd control to worry about. With a good amount of +spell dam gear consecration can tick for good damage at rank 1 and not cost you much in the way of mana. Also helps build aggro as it is all holy damage. I have pretty good spell dam gear and I can get up to 80 dam/sec for 8 sec at the cost of 120 mana (~108 with purifying power), fairly efficient to get some extra damage out there.

Consider throwing a rank 1 consecration after your SoR, assuming no crowd control to worry about. With a good amount of +spell dam gear consecration can tick for good damage at rank 1 and not cost you much in the way of mana. Also helps build aggro as it is all holy damage. I have pretty good spell dam gear and I can get up to 80 dam/sec for 8 sec at the cost of 120 mana (~108 with purifying power), fairly efficient to get some extra damage out there.

SO for gear, should I go with Sell damage + INT or STR + STA.
Or carry both, using item rack. Currently I have a "tank" set and a "healer" set I can switch around.

If you can afford the bag space carry two sets, if you are heavily spec'd down one tree, armor that benefits that talent spec should be your priority.

I have at least 3 sets. (Healing, Off-tanking & +spell dmg) Depends on what I'm being asked to do. I'm specced for healing, while under some fire....(It means I have re-doubt, deflection and toughness and also helps when I'm asked to OT or AOE tank) My mana pool with primarily intel based gear is 10,600 with my kings buff. (lvl 67) I'm experimenting with mp5/+heal gear ATM to try and find a nice balance. For dmg dealing I throw on the +spell dmg set + ret+consecrate (When appropriate) along with the SOV dot and a few nice trinkets that buff my dmg.

I still have a few in ret: Ben,Def & SOC. I'm *thinking* of changing this some..(SOC will be the first to go and soon, since I don't use it anymore) and for starters adding 2 points to GF in the prot tree. GF is very useful in groups, to bad it doesn't protect from caster dmg..

My spec currently at lvl 67 is: 36-11-11.
I'll prob deplete the ret tree a bit when I hit 70 and move them to holy/prot.

Danny

Last edited:
Just an update. I'm now level 50. staying with the Protection build and really liking it. Kinda fun to run into the mobs.

so when my pally eventually comes back out of the closet (ie. I get tired of hunter for a bit) I think I'm gonna work on healing more in Outlands dungeons, but I want to maintain some solo ability with Ret talents. heres what I'm thinking for level 60 and I'm not sure how I want to spend those last 10 points:

opt 1: 5/5 ben (ret), 3/3 2H spec (ret), 2/2 eye/eye (ret)

opt 2: 3/3 vind (ret), 2/2 eye/eye (ret), 3/3 2H spec (ret), 2 pts... maybe 2/5 holy guidance (holy)

opt 3: 5/5 holy guidance (holy), 3/3 vind (ret), 2/2 eye/eye (ret)

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Eye for an Eye unless it's a pvp build. The points could be better spent. E4E is only effective against caster mobs and then you have to wait for them to crit you on a cast.

Benediction can be good if you are judging lots, but you are mostly spec'd holy and should have a good mana pool. I think you would get more bang for your talent point elsewhere.

When I was in the ret tree I found that Vindication proc'd fairly often against mobs. If you are interested in keeping points in ret, then I think 3/3 vind is a good choice for leveling. Unfortunately, Blizz nerfed its effectiveness in instances.

If you want Holy Guidance, then you will have to spend more talent points in Holy to get it. You have included it in two of your options, but you still need 4 more points in Holy to get it. This will pretty much shut you down for more points in the Ret tree to max it out.

IMO, Holy guidance is just too big to pass up, it is bonus spell dam and healing which helps you heal in dungeons and solo by increasing your spell damage. vind used to be resisted by a lot of mobs (especially bosses) not sure what the case is in TBC as I have not tried it out... eye for an eye has always been a PVP talent. Consider 5 in Redoubt, a better solo skill than Imp Dev Aura and then maybe toughness, might get you more armor than the 5 pts in imp dev aura... really will depend on how much solo vs group stuff you are going to do.

Im thinking of the farily high number of instances in TBC, and as a healer, Im thinking I will be in demand. Imp Dev is looking that direction. As well, Im not gonna play the pally til Darren gets his shaman caught up so I will likely spend quest time mostly with him... so I am thinking more about helping a group than myself most of the time.

After reading your last post, I would definitely recommend you take Holy Guidance. You will still need 4 points in Holy and I would recommend 2/2 Imp BoW. Casters will appreciate the extra mana regen. The other two points could be spent on Purifying Power as Pallies are often called on to cleanse and there are a quite a number of demon/undead class mobs that you can get the edge on by the improved crit rate to exorcism. Also, if you want to help hunters and warriors, Imp BoM from the Ret tree is better than having Benediction. BoM now gives increased AP to hunters.

so that would give me this at level 70. after HG, with only one point left I figured I might as well go 41 Holy

I've never had a desire to make a healer or a tank, but I powered through a lot of instances last week with numerous different group make-ups. I must say I'm very impressed with the pally as a whole. A very efficient healer, an awesome tank (in one instance.. a pally maintank would pull group aggo using some ranged aoe spell.. it was supposed to be my job to pull square off that group and trap. I was 1/10 in attempts to even pull that target off his group, and I was critting 1100 arcanes and 2000+ aimed shots and STILL unable to grab a single mob)

I find pallys as healers to be fantastic.. Their group buffs (imho) are way better than fortitude and spirit buff.. So in short, I'm going to make a pally.

What I want to know is.. what build would give me the ability to be the main tank and if I change my gear around I could be main healer for the next raid.. I know nothing at all about pallys, I don't need another dps char though, so my goal is tanking/healing.

Thanks for your input :)

Back