Pally Place

Berstromme

Ok, I won't claim to be the end all be all of the Paladin class, but I do exclusively play my pally. I wanted to start a thread for those playing Pallys or Pally alts to post and ask questions. I also wanted to start looking at what folks are expecting / looking forward to playing when you hit the magic level 70. Three main specs obviously: Holy Healer type, Prot Tank type, or Ret Dps type.

As always I don't expect you'll ever hear anyone tell you you must spec a certain way, but it would be nice for some deconfliction to support the guild's end game efforts. Folks like me who are on the fence between two specs would probably pick one to help expand the guild's access to unique capabilities we offer as a hybrid / support class.

I have a BE pally that is level 32, my alt. What is a goos spec to use?
I have a static partner, my wife; she plays a hunter. So far I've dumped some points into this build.
pall build
Any suggestions on this build or in general?
-Erik

Yeah, we have a shortage of healers..

My alt is a 62 Cleric/Healadin build. Enough in Prot for kings and a bit of endurance. (Toughness & Redoubt) (Can take a few hits if need be while I heal and can off-tank some, single target or Aoe tanking) The rest are in the Holy tree with a focus on healing. I have MH'd all of ramparts but last boss and all of BF with this build at lvl 61. I have close to 8000 mana already with my kings buff. Lots of intel, some mp5 and +heal.

Holy is actually quite the viable DPS route as well, especially with the Holy Guidance talent maxed out. You just need to stack spell damage gear instead of melee DPS gear.

But for some REAL (interesting) fun? Check out this thread for the crazy concept of an AoEadin:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=67158029&sid=1

I've tried it. It's quite a hoot!

Ultimately, I've decided to go the route of 31/30/0 (or 30/31/0 if I feel like picking up Holy Shield instead of Holy Shock), that gives me pretty good flexibility as either a main healer or main tank/off tank.

Thanks. I will check that out. I am new to the paladin play style I have a 66 Troll hunter on Hakkar. So far I like it. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to play him.
-Erik

A friend of mine sent the following to me as a level 70 build. He has been working hard on having a good healing set and a +damage set. He also is an enchanter and has all the +heal enchants.

My pally is resting at level 61 while I figure out the best way to level him. I was going holy/prot but was not leveling as fast as I would have liked. That may not be the case if I was doing instances more, but RL usually doesn't work that way for me.

Here is my new spec: 50/11/0

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVEubgzhestx0t

With this spec I have +1465 heals in healing gear and +720 spell damage in dps gear (unbuffed) and very good mana conservation talents. This is a 100% pure healing build and contributes kings and imp devo aura to the raid. As of this morning, I have finished all my enchants (2 +20 healing ring enchants) and have a good storage of healing reagents. There really are no signicifant upgrades for me outside of heroic mode/kharazan.

Some comments on paladin healing:

With blessing of light on the tank, my 1.5 second flash heals hit for 1500. My 2.5 second Holy Light heals hits for 4500. The key to this build is that when I chain Holy Light heals they are 2s heals so when we have chaos this allows me to have do heals at 2250 hps on the party to keep them up. This is good for non-plate wearers when they start drawing aggro. My 41 point holy talent gives me ½ mana cost for 15 seconds every 3 minutes so I use this talent when chaos erupts. Assuming I can get off 7 heals in 15 seconds it saves 2940 mana. This is where a paladin really shines … high impact heals at a low mana cost. We don’t have HoTs or fancy heals but our heals hit hard and pretty fast… and we can heal in this mode for a long time. Whenever we crit a heal the mana cost is free and I have about a 16% spell crit rate, and an extra 6% on Holy Light heals for 22% along with a free crit heal every 2 mins. Over the course of most fights I have about a 20% free heal rate, which extends my 10K mana pool to about 12,500 and the mana conservation talent can extend it up to 2940 more. Add two super healing pots and a dark rune over the course of a 2 minute fight and that is essentially an extra 6000 mana … gulp … a 21,000 mana pool with +1465 heals. If you add my 150 mp5 to this number that is another 3600 mana so let’s just round up to a 25,000 mana pool over the course of a 2 minute fight. What does that mana pool buy you? Assuming a 4 to 1 ratio of flash to holy light heals … about 150,000 hp in healing.

The downside? We have no HoTs or AOE heals … this just makes me have to hit buttons really fast when chaos erupts instead of one button.

Erik,
Another thought if you and your wife are going to level together, consider grabbing 5 ranks in blessing of might. AP now stacks for ranged attacks for hunters. Can be a huge buff for Hunter DPS. I suspect you'll respec at 70, but boosting your "party" DPS can help speed your efforts to quest and level.

When I hit 70, I'll look to respec. Right now I'm heavy into Holy with enough points in ret to grab Seal of Command. I hear you on the healer issue in the guild, we do have some very solid priests and druids that heal very well. I've enjoyed in the few 5-man raids I run being able to pitch in heals to help and with +spell dam gear you can do some decent dps. I'm going to see how things look when I finally get to 70. I'm thinking about going Protect Spec to off tank lots of trash in raids and instances, but will wait to see how many warrior and druid tanks we have running around.

As a side note I highly recommend throwing down ranked consecration out there, takes good advantage of your +spell dam and very good on mana conservation. I'm not terribly well geared, but my ~+300 spell damage helps when you are soloing multiple mobs...

I never thought I'd have to say this in this guild, but we need more paladins in the upper level range :eek:

While as a guild we are short on main healers, I think we are even more lacking in secondary healers, irregardless of spec.

I will admit that I am a contribution to this deficit. I am immensely enjoying druid right now, and Kagnus (aka Osk) is on the back burner. And I know I am not the only one who has set aside the paladin class, though we sorely need them.

However, I will put in my 2 coppers on spec. I think big DPS and damage numbers are a drug of which I think we have several addicts in the guild, myself included. Yet, in reality, taking down bosses in instances is not a timed race, but one of endurance. Paladins are a huge contributor to endurance in a fight if spec'd holy or protection. A holy paladin never seems to run out of mana. A protection paladin can off-tank or main tank AND heal at the same time. As a paladin, if I was not main-tanking, one of my strategies was to get aggro of something, let it beat on me, while I throw heals out. As a druid, I can off-tank or main tank, but if doing so and I try to switch out to help heal, I am almost sure to die.

Last I checked we have only 1 paladin above 65 (he is near being 70 actually). The Forgiven needs some pally love :)

We have them. They are just in the process of leveling:) Speaking of leveling and pallies....Kagnus sent me a tell last night saying that he feels neglected:)

Thanks for all your help. I am going to try this spec, since survivability is an issue.
13/41/7
At least for now. Upon further reading it looks the the Pally is very gear dependent, so I'll prolly carry 2 sets of gear. One set for melee and on set for healing. Or is that not a good idea?
-Erik

Thanks for all your help. I am going to try this spec, since survivability is an issue.
13/41/7
At least for now. Upon further reading it looks the the Pally is very gear dependent, so I'll prolly carry 2 sets of gear. One set for melee and on set for healing. Or is that not a good idea?
-Erik

It is an excellent idea. On Kagnus I have several armor sets. However, focus on getting plate that has a plus to both damage and healing spells, and you will have plate you will not have to really switch.

Sorry I'm leveling so slow. RL has me very busy with work right now... I'll get to 70 eventually!

And yes you'll find that you need two seperate sets of gear or at least pieces of gear you'll trade out depending on the role you are filling.

So I brought up the topic of professions on another thread, and the real reason is because I am wondering what profs to do with a paladin I plan to level up. I am also thinking it might be wild and crazy to actually do a crafting profession for once, but I don't want to be left feeling like I should have just stuck with my old standby and made a lot more money.

Right now I am strongly considering Blacksmithing (not sure what specialty, but I have time to decide that). I was thinking that if I did go pally I would primarily intend to play either as prot or holy specced. Anyone have any experience with BS and Pallies and let me know if they think it's a good marriage?

Thanks in advance (oh and if you think I should just start another thread that's fine :D )

If you got protection, smithing, especially armorsmithing, is helpful. Kagnus is a hammersmith and I have not found much use for it as far as paladins go.

I know some paladins enjoy engineering because it gives you some ranged options.

I had hoped to get my pally to 60 before TBC came out, but then it got real difficult to get people for instances (shes 56)
having TBC, i'm falling into that DPS addiction you mentioned cause I can now make gains with my hunter again. I'll try and play the pally, but following so closely behind as far as quests can get kinda repetitive. Most likely, the pally will come back out when my hunter gets around lvl 65ish

I am in the process of lvling a pally as my new main. The rogue just dosen't interest me anymore. Right as of this moment he is lvl 49 with everying into holy. He will be focused in spec towards main healing. Not going to lie, I want the glory of keeping a group alive. I am debating whether I want to go into prot to get kings, but I suppose in the 5 man content it would be an asset to buff the group. Imp. Devo aura seems useless to me, esp. given the ridiculous amounts of armor tanks have now adays. A drop in the bucket. In contrast to danny I will get Imp. Blessing of Protection. It is an extremely usefull aggro wipe on a non tank, and as such having it more often is nothing but an asset. I would be less inclined to off tank, as would be reflected in the spec. Hopefully by the time I hit the magic 70 mark there won't be an excess of pallies :)

Sean

ps: Healadins make for excellent pvp healers. I would argue the best b/c of their survivability. I have been pvping a little bit int he 40-49 bracket and the ability to stay int he engagement despite of concentrated attempts from the opposition to kill you is unbelievable. While the priest would drop like a sack of potatoes, the pally just keeps on trucking. It will be beautiful to heal pve content and have a vital role in pvp. weee!

Last edited:
Rank 8 (Level 70) Devotion Aura: 861 Armor.

5 points into Improved Devotion Aura = 40% = 344 Armor.

344 Armor = HUGE waste of 5 talent points. You can get the same (self) benefit from only 2 points in Toughness, assuming you're trucking around with at least 8610 armor from gear (9-10K Armor in healer gear is reasonably easy to obtain at level 70).

On the flip side, Redoubt owns! :)

Regardless of your main spec, you will be called upon to off-tank from time to time, depending on group composition, and blocking attacks help a great deal towards mitigation.

Last edited:
Another question. Since I'm going protection revised build
I was wondering if it is better to have a slow for fast weapon.
Also wondering how you attack "sequence"
usaly I start like this
JoC
SoR

Back