Need help collecting quotes for colocation

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I need some people who are willing to contact datacenters and request quotes for Tribe of Judah's future dedicated server.

More specifically, we're looking for quotes for:
  • 1u colocation space
  • Power
  • Unmetered 10 megabit port
  • 5 useable IP addresses
We currently plan to purchase the hardware and have it installed at a datacenter. That plan is subject to change depending on the quotes we receive and members' monthly donation commitments.

I'm currently juggling CGA and ToJ administrative duties, searching for a job, and the occasional bit of writing. I need help with this project if we're going to use the $2000 USD members have donated to purchase dedicated server hardware and have it installed at a datacenter.

The bottom line: The faster we get the quotes, the faster we can make a decision, and the faster we can have new game servers online.

If you're willing to dedicate a few hours to helping out, post a reply or send me a PM.

/bump

Ten days and no replies to this thread. I know ToJ members want to bring our servers back online. This is your opportunity to help bring them back more quickly.

/bump

I need help from ToJ members if we're going to collect enough information to make an informed decision in a reasonably timely manner. In other words, the longer it takes for people to volunteer to help with this, the longer it takes to get our game servers online.

Ah you know, I bet we just bought the rights to the box from them, it probably wasn't our machine from the start..Sorry.

serverbeach refused to talk to me unless i gave them my phone number. Which i don't do to sales folks.

ok after diging a bit a machine form serverbeach to match the one quoted would cost $400/month. Will try colo again

https://www.theplanet.com/servers/quote.aspx?q=hy3ZJtEq8Zwl7ITkizuF2w==http://www.theplanet.com/

that's for renting a comparable server form the palanet

Dual Xeon 5335 - SATA (Qty: 1)Setup FeeMo. Price
10000 GB Bandwidth
$0.00$0.00
DISCOUNT
$0.00-$85.00
2x Intel Xeon 5335 2.0 GHz Quad Core Processors
$25.00$299.00
Second Intel Xeon 5335 2.0 GHz Quad Core Processor
$0.00$0.00
CentOS Enterprise Linux - 5.x - 64 bit
$0.00$0.00
5 IPs
$0.00$0.00
100 Mbps Uplink
$0.00$0.00
8 GB RAM
$0.00$150.00
SATA
$0.00$0.00
250 GB IDE/SATA HDD
$0.00$0.00
250 GB IDE/SATA HDD
$0.00$20.00
IPMI
$0.00$0.00Totals:$25.00$384.00

serverbeach refused to talk to me unless i gave them my phone number. Which i don't do to sales folks.
ServerBeach is the company we dumped the first time around because they changed their Terms of Service to allow hosting of adult content without notifying their customers. As soon as Plankeye found out, he canceled the account (and I backed his decision).

As for other vendors: I'd like to look specifically at datacenters in the Midwest US. That way, west and east coast players can both have a good ping to our servers.

ServerBeach is the company we dumped the first time around because they changed their Terms of Service to allow hosting of adult content without notifying their customers. As soon as Plankeye found out, he canceled the account (and I backed his decision).

As for other vendors: I'd like to look specifically at datacenters in the Midwest US. That way, west and east coast players can both have a good ping to our servers.

I haven't really seen any datacenters in the midwest that are that decent. As for ping I have had servers in California with sub 60 ping and servers a few miles away with 80-100+. It is mostly going to be the quality of the mix of providers then anything else.

I haven't really seen any datacenters in the midwest that are that decent. As for ping I have had servers in California with sub 60 ping and servers a few miles away with 80-100+. It is mostly going to be the quality of the mix of providers then anything else.
The idea behind hosting the server in the Midwest is to provide the best ping possible to as many players (including those in Europe) as possible. I understand that location is not the only criterion, but it is an important one. An equal datacenter on the west coast isn't going to give a player in New York as good a ping as an equal datacenter in the Midwest.
which is what i have been saying the entire time..among other things
And you're welcome to post suggestions. I still want to collect quotes for colocation so I and others can make an informed decision. This isn't about abandoning present options. It's about making sure we spend our money wisely. We can't do that until we know what our options are.

/bump

Still need help with this. PM me if you're willing to dedicate some time to making phone calls, sending e-mails, and getting quotes.

how many more do you want?
So far, we only have four: ServerBeach, ThePlanet, Abba Communications, and one in progress from a company in Tulsa. One of those doesn't count (ServerBeach) and one is way too expensive (ThePlanet, $384.00 a month).

EDIT: So, to answer your question, I'd at least like a few more.

/bump

I've been asking for help to collect colocation quotes since August and involvement from members has been minimal.

Since the community isn't getting involved, I'm setting a deadline of Monday, Oct. 26 for people to step up and volunteer at least a few hours a week toward collecting quotes before I start looking at dedicated server hosting solutions (meaning that we rent a dedicated server instead of buying our own hardware). I don't like moving to a plan B, but it's been over two months and I'm not seeing significant progress on this project.

Three weeks have passed since the deadline for members to volunteer to help collect quotes.

I had originally planned to take on the work of collecting quotes myself, but I feel taking on additional responsibilities at this time would be unwise. I need to focus primarily on my job search and I already have a full plate handling the day-to-day business of the Christian Gamers Alliance and ToJ.

For that reason, I am suspending ToJ's efforts to choose a colocation service provider and dedicated server hardware until at least one member steps forward and volunteers to help.

If you are interested in helping out, please send a PM to me and Elihu.

Back