Music..

Uh, actually I just got into it so I haven't really found anything. I like all electronic stuff. Mostly I listen to game music and the like. I'll let you know when I find something cool.

Electronic music is good... Tell you something interesting, itz called Doof Doof music over here (the way it sounds...) neway, i find it really good to listen to when im doing school work, coz you dont have to listen to the words (coz there arent many...) i find most Doof Doof is pretty clean too, which is always a plus. there are a few bands that arent though (DJ Alligator Project springs to mind) but, on a whole, as a christian, Doof Doof is pretty good. and hell, if you like it, then great! even the most conservative christian couldnt really pick holes in it. (besides the usual "there is no point to the song, it is so repetative, how can you listen to it?" stuff like that)

i prefer the stuff that has more vocals as well, (some of sash's stuff, and taTu's Not Gonna Get Us)

I dont know if i have already said this, but i hate punk. (i have seen relient k, and they are pretty good live, but i think it was more the atmosphere than them themselves, i heard their album, itz crap) im not sure exactly why i dont like punk (i cant say "well just coz it sucks", that isnt a reason:p" i think a lot of it can be attributed to the hours spent listening to the crappy local bands who are 95% punk... also, i think it is because they all seem very shallow. Although they have a very different style, the majority of the content of the songs can be allikened to "bubblegum" pop. they have the same sort of wishy washy, shallow theme. that is the majority of it, there are other bands that buck this trend though (eg Greenday) they are more rebellious and have a very "up yours" attitude... i dont like this much either. (aond dont say that rock has the same "up yours" message, coz most of it doesnt)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Creed? You've gotta be kidding me dude

What is wrong with creed? they have good music, and quite a few of their songs have Christian themes. and, contrary to popular belief, they arent christians. i saw an interview a couple of years ago that was held just after my own prison was released. Scott Stapp (lead singer) said that he had grown up in a christian household, and had gone to a christian school (catholic i think actually) and one of the things he had to do was copy out passages of the bible. this has influenced his music, so thatz why some songs sound christian.

/me ends rant and goes back to work

But, uh, My Own Prison was inspired by a dream he had about a coming death (his)...and that REALLY inspired him to get back straight with God. He's Catholic, last I checked and far from atheist, and many of his songs have Christian themes, as you said, and that's why I like him. Plus, they don't curse once in their songs. And that makes em rock the more.
Ever hear of Enigma? Are they techno, electronic, whatever? I dunno. My dad sometimes listens to them...along with a ton of other music but whatever.
I like Live. Ever hear those guys? They're pretty good.

What do you mean Evanescence is great? They're pretty good...but their message can be easily twisted with a simple "misinterpretation" on your part. Maybe it's the right one...I'm not sure on the level of their salvation, but whatever...:

i tried to kill the pain
but only brought more
i lay dying
and i'm pouring crimson regret and betrayal
i'm dying praying bleeding and screaming
am i too lost to be saved
am i too lost?

my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation
my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe right here she's questioning the ability of God to reconcile...and asking if He can actually give her back salvation (something she lost?). Right there is touchy ground. Supposedly, once saved always saved. Others say contrary. I would say that if you were trully saved you would never leave. Sure, doubt, but beg for salvation ONCE MORE? What happened the first time chick?

do you remember me
lost for so long
will you be on the other side
or will you forget me
i'm dying praying bleeding and screaming
am i too lost to be saved
am i too lost?

my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation
my God my tourniquet
return to me salvation

my wounds cry for the grave
my soul cries for deliverance
will i be denied Christ
tourniquet
my suicide

What, God forgot all about you? Yeah, I suppose so...there goes the whole idea about a personal Savior I guess. Will I be denied Christ? Dude, you're just asking for your salvation back, and now you're thinking you won't get it? What's up with you? Who is this Christ guy to you? Just a way to stop bleeding in sin? A suicide to your life of sin or a suicide for nothing, as you seem to be implying?

As I said, easily twisted lyrics.

Just my 2p, but it seems to me as if the doubt is not of God, but of herself. Am I too lost? and Am I too far.

As you say, easily twisted.

Eon

She's questioning God's power to save her from her lost state. She's also requesting back salvation, like I stated before. If you had it before, do you think it's too hard to regain now?
And again, easily twisted. That's my big problem with Evanescence and a lot of "Christian" rock/rock-wannabe bands. They tend to leave the name "God" out of their songs. Who are you talking to? Christ? Allah? Balder? Who do you want salvation from, woman? She also leaves these subtle hints against God that kinda bug me...and she has in no way professed to be a Christian to many secular interviewers, mags, other artists, etc. In fact, her band rejected that label of "Christian" music in that they don't want to be seen as Christian. Interesting enough I suppose, but that doesn't per se negate their personal Christianity.

First off, Creed is terrible. I shouldn't have to say any more than that.

And about the My Tourniquet lyrics, 1) I didn't know it was gonna turn into such a big deal, and 2) YOU are twisting the words to be un-Christian..Eon is correct, sir...dude, she's not gonna be signing

Shakalakalakalaka oooh yeah I'm saved
Shooobiedooobiekabloooie yeah

I mean, their music isn't Gospel, and their lyrics aren't either...but if you wanna just deny the (not so) underlying Christian theme, gg to you sir, have fun listening to Creed

yuck..

And as I said..emo > all

Whack whack! I haven't twisted your words...just shown what I think of their songs and my translation of it. Again, it is easily twisted lyrics. Also, a lot of, umm, non-Christians like them, last I checked, and those that don't know really have no clue about what they mean unless they sit down and think about it, and sometimes, you need discernment to understand a song. I mean, House of 1000 Corpses isn't THAT bad...it's Rob Zombie by the way. I'm sure in some ways it could be even translated to be Christian...read the lyrics. They're far from Christian, but if you try hard enough, I'm sure you could find a Christian theme somewhere in there.
Possibly in EVERY song one likes you can see what you want to if you blind enough parts of the eye and enlarge others.

Of course, I'm sure it could be. Anything that talks about demons in the traditional sense must involve God and Christianity at some level. It's a war between them. You're just reading the enemy propaganda, that's all.

I just picked up an old World Wide Message Tribe CD called 'Heatseeker'. It's got some pretty good techno/dance, but just a bunch of varieties. Not just one style.

Music

Lovin that

http://www.blastbeats.com/

If your after anything christian go here. Hard rock rap, it's da bomb and it's all mail order over the net stuff...

I think that there are many band that capture in their music where people are at. While the music is of different styles the songs that are 'good' in peoples eyes are the ones that are relevant to them.

Just becuase a song is relevant to where people are at, doesn't mean that it's a good song though.

I think people need answers.

life was hard, im always looking, stuff this bloke, stuff the cops, it's my mums fault, my dad sucks. this can all be real to people but has no answer.

POD is the bomb for me at the moment. It's positive, it has answers. They pray with people to accept jesus.

Good fruit.

For people to get together in their problems, may help them feel like their not alone, but support in the hole isn't enough.

People need to know how to be free, how to be forgiven.

sealcomm
cool.gif

I know of two excellent Christian bands:

Impellitteri (neoclassical/speed metal, check out their older stuff)

Extol (death metal, sound is a little similar to Opeth.)

I'm sorry

due to the current unstable nature of the world i will try to endevour to NOT use the word b_mb any more...

sealcomm
biggrin.gif

Howdy, I'm new to this forum and just wanted to ask something.

Yes, I am Christian, I consider myself one anyway, but I like the music the band ''Godsmack'' makes. Has anyone heard of them? I just wanted to know if it's bad listening to them... since I really like the music and it's the only rockband I like too.

Thing is, the leadsinger of this band is a ''Wiccan''. I have nothing against other religions, and I found it pretty interesting to read about this religion. Not anymore though, since I just lost my interest in reading... don't ask. Anyway, I do not want to be a part of it, my mom would kill me and I prefer just being Christian, because I think it's the right thing to do
tounge.gif

So... this thought has been around in my head for a couple of days... is it bad listening to Godsmack? I'd be very disappointed if that were the case, since I, like I said earlier, enjoy their music.

Thanks in advance. I haven't read the whole topic so I apoligize if this has been brought up before.

I guess it depends on where you draw the line. I don't care to know the faith of secular bands but when you have artists like Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie glroifying their beliefs then I don't listen to them. I also listen to lyrics. If a song if offensive I won't listen to it or it's band much longer. Those are just my thoughts...a rule I go by is if you feel wrong doing it...don't. The Bible calls us to be pure and to stay away from evils. If you think your safe listening great, but if it causes you to stumble...it may not be a good idea.

Welcome to the forums!

It is good that you ask the question!
My personal aim is the following: (even in music, games and what I watch on TV etc...)

Philippians 4
8Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious--the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.

I cannot say it better than that... so I won't event try
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies.

I agree, bands like Marilyn Manson are just wrong. I can't stand that kind of music and Godsmack is way different. They don't use foul language in most of their songs but they do swear in a couple of their hard ''let it all out'' songs. But not really in an offensive way though. Some of their lyrics are rather odd though... quite original however. But the reason I like Godsmack is probably the way the songs are sung. The leadsinger has such an awesome voice.

If you guys ever have the chance, try listening to ''Greed'', ''Re-Align'' and ''Serenity''. I really like those 3 songs and would like to know more ''Christian views'' on them.

Thanks again and take care.

If more people made an effort to understand the meaning behind Marilyn Manson's lyrics, rather than reacting to the way he dresses, perhaps you'd realise he's just another artist attacking what he sees as hyprocisy and lies.

Eon

Either that or being the son of a pentecostal preacher he knows exactly what to do or say to get Christian's truly upset about his lyrics/dress/videos so he can sell more music to teens in the process of rebelling against their parents and those who want to play it just to annoy Christians.
rock.gif

Back