Music..

I do judge by songs and in my book, one song can ruin a band...hypothetically speaking..if a band sang "Satan my lord and savior" I would never listen to them again.
wow.gif

I totally agree CCGR

BTW, anyone who likes punk, I'm sure yo've heard of Reliant K...good christian punk band (they're pop-punk, but I can let it slide for them =D )

Also interesting is that the people in Evanescence are Christian...makes sense when you listen to the lyrics in their songs Bring Me to Life and My Tourniquet

Yes.....very interesting: "My God, my suicide."
ALSO seeing as how they rejected the title "Christian" as they tour, with bands like 12 Stones, another so-called "Christian" band, Depswa (anti-God) and Godsmack in Atlanta (anti-God, despite the title).

I dislike Evanescence for the most part, and Relient (with an e) K is really......lame. Really. Badly. They can't really sing. "All the girls in the bathroom talkin' who they're gonna take to the Sadie Hawkins..." TOO poppy for me.

Yes, CCGR, if I knew of a song like that, it would waste my interest in the band...thankfully, Metallica hasn't done that yet. AC/DC...well, they did the whole Highway to Hell thing...yeah. Kinda. I dunno.

im gonna stick my big ugly head in here again. when i started this thread, i was going through a ton of stuff, and i was "against" christians. i was angry with the way i was being treated by christians, and just the crap that they were going on with in general. i wanted to put down christians wherever i could, so i joined here, and tried to do that. i wouldnt call myself a "christian" atm, but i have sorted all of that, and im not so angry these days. anyway, my thoughts on music now are.

it is all down to personal conviction, and personal taste. i mean if you like pop, then listen to it, if you like classical music, then listen to it, if you like punk, rock, death metal, or whatever, then listen to it.

i like rock mainly, the more "dark" rock. like Disturbed and Evanesence. i find that they have mroe "substance" than popular bands, and punk for that matter. about relient k, i have seen them live, and they are... ok. i liked them live, but i wouldnt buy an album. i dont like much christian music, mainly because it all is so bad. there are very few professional christian artists now. most are either lame punk, or really bad rock. i think the only christian band i like is POD. sure there is a lot of praise and worship, but i dont like it much. but thatz just me.

music likes are all down to personal tastes and morals. for example, would you listen to a band where the members are homosexual? or would you listen to a band whose lead singer keeps human and animal blood in his freezer? would you listen to a band who wouldnt say anything after a girl was killed at one of their concerts? this is all down to your morals, so you can say what sort of music you like, but what standard do oyu have. i mean i hate pop with a passion, but that doesnt mean that pop is bad. it jsut means i dont like it. now, say i liked manson (i dont, do dont worry) then that would say something about my morals and standards. oh well, that is my 2 cents.

I'm glad that you are working through your issues concerning those who follow Christ.

And I'm even gladder that you've shown back up to join us in conversation here.

God Bless.

Hey Messenjah! Welcome back. And if you didn't see it elsewhere, congratulations on winning the CCGR 100,000!!!

I've sort of kept quiet in this whole conversation. Probably because if I started writing, it would end up being books worth of information. Music was (and still is) an extremely important part of my life. It's a major part of my testimony. I've been reading this whole thread.

Even though you have gone away from this subject...
I think swearing is usually a lack of vocabulary. They don't know any other verbs, adjectives, ect.. so they just use those instead. Swearing is sometimes a way to try to be a "rebel" and try to get attention. Since people are getting more and more numb to these things, other people have to curse more and more and talk about obscene things more to get the same attention. Well... that's my thoughts on this issue...

i think your statement about swearing to get attention is true. think about it, you get much more attention telling someone to "F' Off" than telling them to go away...

but besides that, in some cultures, swearing is as common as any other word, so kids dont think anything of peppering their speech with swear words.

It's a social thing...we just had to go through it in school. This girl made a song called Snafu. Well that stands for: Situation Normal All F'ed Up. A 'Nam GI term. SHE didn't know that...she heard it as a colloquialism which means: confused, blundered, discombobulated, messed up. Well our teacher knew what it meant and was disturbed by it...as well as that she included saying: "What the hell" and "Hell no" in her song. She's a Presbyterian pastor's daughter, but that doesn't put her up in the PK thing...she's a really nice kid, and really sweet, too. She was angry at the weak Christians, at the world that chooses to hate this God of theirs. She was angry. But she saw a light coming soon. And that was about the cheeriest part of her poem.

Well that's about it. I love music in all its forms, and uh, ignore what I said back there Messenjah, about you thinking Christians are hypocrites...I hadn't read this yet to see that you're getting better. And I'm glad to see you're feeling better, and are dealing with your anger problem, and believe me, you're not the first person to home in on Christians just to bash them, and fail miserably at it.

I think it's conviction too...but you'd better watch what's going on in you: "I slice my veins, I drink my urine, I watch the Messiah crumble and fade, I hate this world, I kill you all, I embrace my demons..." Yeah. Well that's AWESOME UPLIFTING CHRISTIAN music. Not. Not at all. Punk? It's good. Classic? It rocks. "I should have dealt the jack! Ooh, she's got the jack!" Yeah baby! Hard rock? Yeah. Dark rock and roll? Ehhh....no. Evanescence is...interesting. They're not really dark. They're eerie, not dark. Disturbed is not in the least bit Christian or whatever...very spiritualist/humanist, actually. Kinda sad. But I enjoy some of their music, despite its message at times. I like my bit o' Godsmack, Alice in Chains, Def Leppard, Breaking Benjamin, Offspring, Ozzy Osbourne...a lot of rock.

Relient K...yeah. No comment (They SUCK!). DC Talk I hear is pretty good...I also hear that POD is the best Christian rock...but I dunno about them. They're okay. Creed so far is the best Christian rock and roll I've come past yet. Most Christian music really sucks. Too light, too joyful, too unreal. Too piano-y. Too lame. I prefer the hard stuff to the light Amy Grant stuff...yeah. I can praise the Lord without having her CD, too. Well, whatever. That's MY 2 cents.

Welcome back Messenjah.

Hey, ultima!

Mr_Eon was talking some time ago about the culture of the "gangsta" rappers. i have found a song that describes their lives pretty well. the lyrics are... fairly bad. but ive edited it.

here it is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
D12 "Revelation"

[Chorus]
I don't wanna go to school.. I don't need no education
I don't wanna be like you.. I don't wanna save the nation
I just wanna live my life.. everyday a celebration
One day I'ma leave this world.. I'm waitin for the revelation

[Bizarre]
I wanna kill myself! I'm still debatin
In front of a baptist church, masturbatin
Prayin to Satan - think I'm crazy cause I smoke crack
live on (?) in a two-family flat? (F*ck it)
Tired of gettin hit in the face with a broom
My moms on her period, my dad's in my room (Daddy no!)
I got ten rocks and I need to get out
I told him in five minutes, out my own #### mouth (Moms smoke crack)
My poor grandmother, God bless her soul
The b*tch got AIDS (aww) she just waitin to die of a cold (hahaha)
There's three things that keep me from bein a Nazi
I'm black, a fag, and my dad's Liberace

[Kon Artis]
No matter how bad the beatin, I went to school cheatin
My dad whooped my ass at a PTA meetin
Stick with school I had to have nuts just to do it
Got bored and became truant
When I had the gall to go I just couldn't do it
I was lured into corners by the peer pressure sh*t
How would you feel if you was held by the tip of a barrel
Gettin threatened to get your skin ripped to bone marrow
Bet suburban kids never got rushed for their apparel
like me, outcast, last in class
First to leave, when the teacher called on me
Best believe I had somethin up my sleeve

[Eminem]
I've been praised and labelled as crazed
My mother was unable to raise me, full of crazy rage
An angry teenager, nothin can change me back
Gangsta rap made me act like a maniac
I was boostin, so influenced by music I used it
as an excuse to do sh*t, ooh I was stupid
No one can tell me nothin hip-hop overwhelmed me
to the point where it had me in a whole 'nother realm
It was like isolatin myself was healthy
It felt like we was on welfare but wealthy
Compelled me to excel when school it failed me
Expelled me and when the principal would tell me
I was nothin, and I wouldn't amount to sh*t
I made my first million and counted it
Now look at, a f*ckin drop-out that quits
Stupid as sh*t, rich as f*ck, and proud of it
That's why

[Chorus]

[Swifty McVay]
I was raised with a rifle and mask
Steadily beatin my psychiatrist ass just for askin about my past
(b*tch) I was never on that punk sh*t; f*ckin around
can get yo' belove abducted, smothered in blood quick
You couldn't pay Swift to give a f*ck
Was crazy like my father, it musta been poison in that nigga's nut
Far as probation, f*ck peein in cups
I violate at any time, let 'em see the blunt
I grew up steadily masturbatin inside of cells
Young as hell, havin conversations with myself
You could tell I wasn't lenient, a disobedient
Lynched and slapped teachers, b*tch I'm not readin it
You don't know what dawgs go through, a little nigga
Sippin liquor with my old dude, what the f*ck you gon' do?
I'm quick to curse you, I told my mother that I'ma hurt you
if you ever again mention a curfew

[Kuniva]
Look, my family ignored me and I don't like that
They don't even listen when I tell them I'll be right back
(Yeah whatever) This nice beautiful house ma, it don't mean sh*t
Cause you know daddy's a drunk and he don't clean sh*t
And yesterday he hit me like a grown f*ckin man
I couldn't stand up to him, I just ducked and ran
I'm sick of this, I wish on Christmas
that I can get a loaded four-fifth and put a f*ckin end to this
(F*ck it) I got no friends and I can't get a b*tch
Only thing I have is dirty magazines and sticky fingertips
Nothin to smile about, I'm about to lose my mind
Got me an automatic nine, now I'm ballin out

[Proof]
Wait 'til school's over, pu-pil are people to shoot through
Kids goin cuckoo, with a two-two
Since my fame is this new dude, in this high school
Losin his noodle learn that people don't like you
The football jocks is, spittin on him
Popular kids in school is now pickin on him
Burn out youngsta niggaz now hittin on him
And his teacher in his english class keep flippin on him
And now he's grounded with no allowances
for drinkin forty ounces, cause he was caught by his counselors
And why the f*ck I gotta ride the bench coach?
Already got expelled for wearin a trenchcoat
All I ever seen is.. {violence, violence}
Told me to keep silent, stepped back in my eyelids
It's apparent that my parents weren't parents at all
That's why I blew out my brains and murdered you all

[Chorus]

WoW Ultima, worst....music taste...ev4r.... =\

Creed? You've gotta be kidding me dude

yeah, Relient K i pretty pop, but I believe I said that in my post...and about evanescence, I don't know anything about them rejecting the "Christian" label but 1) So does POD and 2) you said yourself that most Christian music sucks, so if their music isn't christian....besides, that doesn't mean that the band members themselves aren't Christians....and about my tourniquet, did you even listen to the lyrics, or just hear "My God, my suicide"? Listen to the whole song...they talk about salvation through Christ...and "My God, my suicide" actually makes sense - when you become a Christian, you are to die to yourself... :eek:

Anyways, music is such a personal thing that I'm not even gonna argue about it any more ( I wasn't even gonna answer this post but I got bored).......

true, but I still can't stand rap, no matter what the message is (some dude at church did a rendition of a hymn using rap.... no comment).

I've been listening to more and more Christian bands now, while still staying with the style of music that I normally listen to. The song Nobody by Cadet is good, and the band Switchfoot totally ROCKS!!! I bought their new CD at Historymaker (a HUGE 3-day Christian youth rally in BC. Tim Hughes was here. So was Hillsong United. Let's just say that the whole event was NOT what I was expecting, but far greater and unlike anything I expected.)

Recently, I've been turned off from secular bands. I threw away all my secular CDs (except for Coldplay, and U2, if you count U2 as secular). I just want more of God now than ever. The event totally changed me in ways only God knows.

Yeah, Creed's okay, but I couldn't tell you how long it's been since I've listened to them. Evanescence isn't too bad...too much girlfriend-in-a-bad-relationship bleeding heart stuff for me. She just sounds too whiney.

Now, Disciple...okay, there ARE good Christian rock and metal bands :). Tourniquet and Disciple are both great examples, actually. There is a lot of thought, depth, and feeling in their songs. If you can't understand what they're saying from listening the first time, that's to be expected. Read the lyrics. You'll be impressed by the message, I'm sure.

MaxX...tell me more. Electronic as IN techno or more synthy/spacey? What bands do you listen to? Electronic used to be my thang! Tangerine Dream, Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, etc. That's all I listened to until I discovered worship music.

I would love to find some good Christian electronic and techno. There's a lot of techno out there, but I don't care for it as it's too poppy. I've got some Scott Blackwell and Circle of Dust and a few others. But not much.

Back