Music

I didn't know that - that is sad. She has a beautiful voice, and could do wonderful things for God with it.

Are there any early recordings of them before they broke up? I'll have to do some searching.

SlavidZee said:
Anyone like Jazz? Benny Goodman, Dave Brubeck, Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane?

I can't drop names of the originators, but if you like jazz type stuff, you might want to try two of my favourite albums of the last year...

The Five Corners Quartet - "Chasing Jazz Gone By" Ricky-Tick Records - latin-influenced jazz and swing, performed on traditional, recorded with analog gear, but produced and written with a modern club/house mind set. The results are dancier and more club friendly than typical jazz, and more warm and legit than typical nu jazz/house. They hail from Finland. (There's actually a LOT of really good funk and jazz bands coming out of Finland lately...)

Geraldo Frisina - "The Latin Kick" - Schema Records - similar thing here, 'cept more on the latin-tip with doses of afrobeat thrown in and the tempo speed up. More obviously club oriented than Five Corners, but again, everything performed on traditional latin and african percussion instruments, rich horn section and guitar licks, etc.

You might also like...

Medenski, Martin and Wood - "Uninvisible" - beats, turntables, bass, rhodes. Jazz in the head, but hip hop for the feet.

Quantic Soul Orchestra - ("Stampede" is better than the more recent one) - live funk band making floor burning originals. Also check out the founder, Will Holland, in his solo work as Quantic, doing similar funk, soul, afro, hip hop, funky breaks stuff but more on a sample tip. (All 4 albums are dynamite)

Various - "Hot, Funky and Sweaty" - new school funk bands (again, more than a few from eastern europe for some reason) busting out a series of wicked covers, including Jimi Hendrix's "Crosstown Traffic", recorded on traditional audio gear. (It's amazing how they make something recorded in this century sound like a dusty 45 from the 60's)

People Under the Stairs - "OST" and "Step-Father" - San Fran/LA-based underground-ish hip hop duo, working the party vibe with sample-based beats and lyrics that range from the serious to the humourous, the laid-back to the party-live. (warning: language)

Ohmega Watts - "The Find" - Ubiquity Records - spiritually-minded (christian), gifted lyricist and producer makes up tempo (100 - 110 bpms) hip hop and funky breaks. Positive raps, fantastic production, great for chilling or partying.

I could go on... :)

I just watched "Beyond The Sea" the other night and...

do not laugh...

I realized I liked the music. It's a movie about Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee.

But then I also like Harry Connick jr., Sammy Davis jr., Frank Sinatra, Tom Jones, Tony Bennett, Dean Martin, Bing Crosby, etc.

Yea I Know...I go from heavy metal to hard rock to rap (some...mostly Christian actual I listen to 95% Christian music now) to traditional praise and worship to Oldies to The crooners. I even like Classical like Beethoven, Bach, and Tchakavski (spelled wrong)... (notice I didn't mention C & W...sorry, can't stand the achey breaky crying...but I understand some people like it...that is cool. We all have different tastes)

people always get confused when they ride with me, i have my mp3 player set to spit out just about anything, and by that I mean a wide range of stuff. scremo is always the most inspiring tho :p

Back in the days when we bought Records (33-1/3 LP's) I bought at the same time:

Metallica "Ride The Lightning"
&
The Best of the Jackson 5

I got strange looks from the cashier, believe me.

Country and Western can be good...it's the "pop" version of C & W I'm not a particular fan of. The more blues, roots oriented stuff can be quite good.

Yeah, I'm another eclectic one.

Can't believe I forgot this one:

I love Abba; Abba Gold is my favorite secular (non-classical) cd (except the song "Voulez Vous"...)

Well officially Evanescence has not broken up. She is still in the Band. Their Primary Songwriter is the one who left. their First Album was made to be marketed to the Christian Market and than they blew up and when all the stuff went down with her their record company pulled their album from Christian Stores. It was sad.

one2dredd said:
Evanescence was a Christian Band actually. But than the lead singer decided that she wasn't sure if there was a God the Primary Songwriter and original Band member who is a Christian left the band. I was pretty sad.

Meh, evanescence wasn't that great and they had swear words in their songs occasionally

on their FIRST one. A friend of mine is an evanesence FANATIC and he said there was even an F word used once on one of their later songs. And that's not a good testimony for a Christian band.

Hmmm I dont recall ever hearing a cuss word. I dont listen to the CD anymore I found a better band than them. Flyleaf :)

HAve you listened to all of their songs on every CD or just their first one

Anyway I saw a flyleaf music video and it seemed.... dark

one2dredd said:
Hmmm I dont recall ever hearing a cuss word. I dont listen to the CD anymore I found a better band than them. Flyleaf :)

Ya i had one of their cd's, and they didnt say one cuss word in it. I did hear that at one of the concerts, that one of the members did drop the f word, but dont know if it is true or not.

Oh, I'm a big dc Talk fan. Saw them live twice, and it was great! Wish they would come back from their "hiatus." :(

Jesus Freak is my favorite album of all time.

tobyMac is good on his own IMO, I haven't heard anything by Tait, and Kevin Max was dropped from ForeFront because his CD "Stereotype Be" attracted more of a cult following while Christians never really got into it. He never gave up and kept on a-singing via his website and even made an EP titled "Between the Fence and the Universe." However, wikipedia said that he found a new label, "Northern Records", and made his second full-length CD titled "The Imposter", in which his signature vibrato voice is present throughout. Man, do I have too much time on my hands or do I just read too much wikipedia...

Anyway, out of the three dc 'talkers', I'd say that Kevin Max's voice is the most unique.

ChickenSoup said:
Anyway, out of the three dc 'talkers', I'd say that Kevin Max's voice is the most unique.
Yep, he was always my favorite. I have Tait's Empty, but Paul never got around to buying me Stereotype Be.

Back