• the muffin man pwns!

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • genuinly undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hey look, DV made it into anoter poll for no reason

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
Master~Plan said:
No, I don't get it. I think its the first time I have no idea what you are trying to convey.
To me it does matter what is truth and what is not. ("right""wrong")
when I look at this statement you made:

This quote just proves that because you have drawn a different conclution than me, you label yourself as a "freethinker". I guess your free to call yourself whatever you want, I don't really care. The title is misleading though....
I think Eon gave a more rational definition.

The definition I used isn't one that I made up, it is the standard definition of what a freethinker is. I also don't make up labels to describe myself. I happen to fit into the definition of what it is, so I use it to describe myself.

I think you are taking offense to the fact that you can't call yourself a freethinker. Look at it this way, I don't take offense to not being able to call myself a Roman Catholic. I don't take offense to not being able to call myself a democrat. I don't fit the definitions for those things. You don't fit the definition of a freethinker. It's just that simple. All it means is someone that makes decisions based apart from religious thinking. Again, I didn't make up the term.

pretty much a nice way of calling someone a liar

No, that's not what I am saying. A liar is someone who makes a statement knowing that it is false. Anecdotal evidence is unreliable evidence based on personal experience that has not been empirically tested, and which is often used in an argument as if it had been scientifically or statistically proven. The person using anecdotal evidence may or may not be aware of the fact that, by doing so, they are generalizing.

Please don't twist my words. I am quite clear in the things that I say, I know it's easy to misinterpret things people say, that is why I go out of my way to correct people when they make false assumptions about me or what I say.

Bottom line. All that stuff is great. Santa, elves, christmas trees, all that is ok but remember JESUS CHRIST is always your first priority. You can have both in your life, just as long as you know JESUS always comes first before ANYTHING or ANYONE. Those stories are harmless, and if you're children happen to find out you sit down and talk to them about it.

DV said:
The definition I used isn't one that I made up, it is the standard definition of what a freethinker is. I also don't make up labels to describe myself. I happen to fit into the definition of what it is, so I use it to describe myself.

I think you are taking offense to the fact that you can't call yourself a freethinker. Look at it this way, I don't take offense to not being able to call myself a Roman Catholic. I don't take offense to not being able to call myself a democrat. I don't fit the definitions for those things. You don't fit the definition of a freethinker. It's just that simple. All it means is someone that makes decisions based apart from religious thinking. Again, I didn't make up the term.
meh, I'm more irritated than taking offense. I like to understand things, and when I don't, I'm irritated. I tried dictionary.com and it kindof gave a def of what you said, but then the next entry for "freethinker" was "someone who believes that God created the world and then abandoned it" ?! what is that?
When people first hear the word freethinker, they would equate it to openmindedness. However, the word is not referring to your state of mind, its referring to the conclution life has lead you to draw? Someone can always be open minded, but appearently I can't be a freethinker because of the conclution I have made? meh I'm getting more irritated talking about it, I'm gonna have to let this one go

I liked Eons cuz it made sense and I agreed with it, thats all
armandus said:
Those stories are harmless, and if you're children happen to find out you sit down and talk to them about it.
hey, welcome to the forums Armandus(it okay if I call u man for short?)

I agree that the stories can be harmless, but are they always? What would you say to the command of not bearing false witness?

Armandus said:
Bottom line. All that stuff is great. Santa, elves, christmas trees, all that is ok but remember JESUS CHRIST is always your first priority. You can have both in your life, just as long as you know JESUS always comes first before ANYTHING or ANYONE. Those stories are harmless, and if you're children happen to find out you sit down and talk to them about it.

How can you have Satan and Jesus in your world?

Mat 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

oh sorry does santa, elves and christmas trees make you think of satan? my bad. i meant the whole christmas scene, not the deep stuff that the public doesnt know about like the pagan culture behind all the decorations and crap. i just meant the stuff u see all the time. btw im a new member so could u please tell me why an atheist is reading from the bible or on a christian gaming forum? dont gimme your life story here just give me a short but meaningful answer ok?

Armandus said:
oh sorry does santa, elves and christmas trees make you think of satan? my bad. i meant the whole christmas scene, not the deep stuff that the public doesnt know about like the pagan culture behind all the decorations and crap. i just meant the stuff u see all the time. btw im a new member so could u please tell me why an atheist is reading from the bible or on a christian gaming forum? dont gimme your life story here just give me a short but meaningful answer ok?

That's the sad part of it, no?

The trappings should make you think of satan, but they don't. Good job satan!

As for why an Atheist has an understanding of the bible, it's because I was once a Christian.

I'm here to understand your views, to learn why you choose to live the way you do and your reasoning behind it.

There you go, the reader's digest version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Armand, I think Kidan said it the best in post #10
Kidan said:
Think about it this way:
I tell my son that there's a fatman that comes to our house, once a year to give us good things if my son is a good boy. He cannot see this man, nor touch him. But I tell him that he's real.

I tell my son that there's a rabbit that wanders around hiding eggs for the good kids to find once a year. He cannot see this rabbit, nor touch him, but I tell him that he's real.

I tell my son about a fairy that leaves money under his pillow in exchange for his teeth. He cannot see this fairy, nor touch her, but I tell him that she's real.

I tell my son about a carpenter who died for his sins. He cannot see this carpenter nor touch him, but I tell him that He is real.

A few years later, my son finds out that the fat man is not real, regardless that Daddy said he was real.

Next, my son finds out that the egg hiding rabbit is not real, regardless that Daddy said he was real.

Then my son finds out that it was Daddy switching out teeth for cash, there was never a fairy doing it, regardless that Daddy said she was real.

What is my son to believe about that carpenter? Daddy said He was real...
I was curius how you would reply to Kidan, Armandus?

Btw, no need for defensive sarcasm, (of which I am often guilty of) were all friends talking here:D

Easter is even better than Christmas. Easter is one big happy Pagan festival - even the old rituals are pretty much followed to the letter.

Eostre must be one happy goddess.

And stories are wonderful ways of educating. There are some great tales submerged in our culture. The Allfather was a great storyteller.

ChickenSoup said:
I don't recall celebrating Easter for the sake of pleasing a godess-just my God :D so... *shoos Eon away* lol

That's exactly what they were hoping for. Confuse your God with their gods. Sooner or later, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Hmmm....I'm not sure which I should choose in the poll. This is something that I don't think about much (because I don't have any children, nor do I see any children in the near future). I want children, and the thought has crossed my mind several times. But I do want to wait until I get married and decide as a couple what our children should believe. But, here's my thoughts at this point.

I still believe in Santa. No, I don't believe in the commercialized version of Santa that Coca-Cola introduced in the 1930s, but rather the spirit of Santa Claus. St. Nicholas (the real one born around 280 AD) was a very generous person, helping all those around him. I believe that's what Christmas is about. That's what Jesus is about. All this leads me to believe in telling my children about Santa Claus. Telling them about the modern day version of Santa Claus, but then telling them about the real Santa Claus. Then go on to talk about the Santa that should be in all of us....freely giving and helping others. I may even give them presents from 'Santa' because I always enjoyed opening presents from Santa, even though I knew they were from my parents. There's just something, at least as a child, about running into the living room and seeing stockings with gifts in them. Of course, my family was always one to have the regular gifts under the tree before Christmas, then the 'Santa' gifts were put out overnight. Since I like seeing gifts under the tree for several days (it's like a part of the decorations), I will probably do the same.

Now, as for the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy, I don't care anything for them. I don't think I ever did the Tooth Fairy thing when I was a child. The Easter Bunny thing maybe when I was real little. I doubt I will even get involved with those, at all.

Just my few cents.

Caring about something should affect whether or not that thing exists. I don't care much for the Green Bay Packers, but that doesn't affect their existence.

The force of History cares not for who is right, it cares for who is left.

There will come a day, when your religion is the downtrodden minority too, you know. I only hope the Starchildren or whoever it turns out to be are more benevolent than you are.

Back