Game reviews

The-Messenjah

Hey. i was jsut wondering why you dont review the really popular FPS like counterstirke or soldier of fortune 2, stuff like that. i am a very avid gamer, and i find that your list on reviews is a little small. Also, why do you put up a big writeup about a game, (i am taking duke manhattan project) and then down the bottom say that it shouldnt be played? itz a little funny dont you think? also, how does that game have violence? it is a side scrolling game ffs. that isnt violent! i mean come on! you can cencor it and review it from a "christian point of veiw" and i am all for that, but you are a little tight. you are too critical of games. Also, what is a bit of violence going to do? make everyone violent? i play a lot of "violent" games, and i am not violent. i think that all of that is very overrated. they say that listening to heavy music also makes you violent, i listen to Disturbed, and Linkin Park. stff like that. im not violent. it is all bs.

neway this is just my opinion

check out the full list of games I have many that you said were missing. http://www.ccgr.org/list.htm

I try to praise games for what they do right (graphics, gameplay, stability) if you're just looking for secular game reviews, there are many sites for that. CCGR mentions what the ESRB doesn't. Parents and many Christians appreciate it. Sorry if you think I'm too uptight. I try to be neutral.

Keep in mind, the reviews are written by ordinary people.  It's all completely volunteer work.  Actually, I don't think the list is all that small, but getting a larger list of reviews is only a matter of time.  And, in fact, over the last few months, more reviewers have stepped up and the list has been slowly growing.

If you don't see a review listed, this board is a great place to ask for one.  I have not played CS or SoF, so I am not qualified to review them.  I actually have not heard much discussion of SoF on this site, so perhaps there is no one to even review it. Note that there is a preview (based on the demo I believe).

The purpose for listing a game as violent isn't to say you will become violent for playing it.  The Christian Perspective part is simply used as a way to cover all aspects of a game that may POTENTIALLY be an issue for someone.  In the end, all of the reviews are meant to allow the reader to make a final decision on whether or not they are OK with something.  Having not played the Duke NukeEm stuff, I can't comment on the review.

A big issue for me is time.  Time to play games and time to write reviews.  As such, I'm not pumping out reviews all that often.  I am currently finishing up a review for Neverhood and a preview of Freelancer.

yeah i get that... all i was saying was, why dont you review the more popular games that everyone is buying. thatz all.

and i think you are a little uptight, for example, you say that duke manhattan project is violent, but really, compared to most games, it isnt. you look at any FPS, and you they are much more violent. so you run round killing stuff. itz a sidescrplling game, so even if they explode in a cloud of blood, (which im not sure that they do, but anyway) it isnt all that violent/gory/disturbing. unlike an FPS where you kill someone and you can walk up to them and put an extra couple in their head, (in SoF2 you can cut off heads and arms with a knife etc
smile.gif
)so it isnt really that violent... anyway

Well, for me, I rarely buy a new game. Last year, I bought TWO new games...games that actually came out in 2002 (and I borrowed a 3rd one). Of those games, 2 people beat me to the reviews. I suppose I COULD still write up a review for MoH:AA, the one I borrowed. Oh man that was GOOD!!!!

But this year may be different. I'm waiting for Freelancer to come down in price, and games I'm looking forward to are:

Freelancer
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
Tron 2.0
Star Trek: Elite Force II
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
and maybe the SP Counterstrike game

So, perhaps my list of new reviews may start to grow.

sic
biggrin.gif
you actually buy the games??? hehe, i got a lot of up-to-date games... and none of them are legit.. it is the easiest way to get stuff. dont you have some friends who have stuff?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The-Messenjah @ Mar. 11 2003,5:05)]and none of them are legit.. it is the easiest way to get stuff.
So you steal stuff that people work hard on?

Well, so much for any respect I had for you.

Aye, itz as if im gonna pay $100 for a game, when i can get it for free. also, where am i gonna get the thousands of dollars for photoshop, dreamweaver and flash mx? im a student for farks sake. haha as if im gonna buy it.

I buy my games too, so that's why I cant afford afford all the new games. I do previews of demos, those are free.

As for Duke I docked it more on the sexual references than violence. There was swearing too.

OK.... what is so "bad" about swearing. if itz in a game, who cares. you hear it anyway. and why dont you download games? you all "against" piracy?? do you download MP3s? that is piracy.

all my mp3's are either ripped off of CD's I own or are from other countries where I cannot purchase them. In other words as legal as I can make it.

What were the two games that people beat you to, Nspire - the reviews I mean?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Katarn85 @ Mar. 13 2003,5:04)]What were the two games that people beat you to, Nspire - the reviews I mean?
?

Don't remeber saying I was ever going to do a review.

Katarn, that was me. It was Jedi Outcast (you beat me to that
laugh.gif
) and Dungeon Siege. Most of my reviews have been for fairly old games. I'm still slowly going through Infernal Machine, but haven't played in about a week. And you would probably be better at reviewing that one anyway.

Actually, I don't even think I was a member when the Dugeon Siege one came out. I think that may have been how I found out about CCGR. It was a link from Planet DugeonSiege.

All of my MP3's are from CDs I own. And the only reason I have them as MP3's is because the sound quality when playing from a CD is horrible. For some reason, when playing it as an MP3 it sounds correct.

Ok, sorry for the mistake Nspire and SSquared, respectively.

Yeah, I did get that JK2 review off pretty quick. I think you should do the Infernal Machine one, though, since you're playing your way through it (I beat it a long time ago, so my memory of it may be a bit fuzzy). Where are you on the game? Maybe I can help.

Fact is, I've got several other reviews on my plate, the first being C&C Generals (if I ever get it - the stupid company sent me the wrong game, and I had to send it back for an exchange). The second would be Sacrifice, which I am currently stuck on.

I have mentioned over in the other thread I started, but I am currently early on in the "Return to Peru" level. I think I just completed the "Jeep" level before buying the map to get me to Peru. I got caught up in the Freelancer demo and started playing some Imperium Galactica II, and also trying to learn Conquest: Frontier Wars.

I am just about done with a Freelancer preview and a review for The Neverhood.

So SSquared,

Okay...so... I know you've got Freelancer now, so I'm hoping you've had a chance to play it...any first thoughts you're willing to share hmm? *grin*

c'mon, you know you want to  
biggrin.gif

Back