FF XIV: A Realm Reborn

Azami

Is anyone here in the beta of that game? Does anybody have any opinions or impressions of this reboot of 1.0?

I am/was in the beta. I don't remember the NDA well enough to comment on experience, but I can say that watching dev videos for it made the game look like a legitimately fun and legitimately Final Fantasy MMO. I especially like what they've shown of adapting hotbar-heavy-styling to gamepads. Doesn't look like they compromised depth of play to make the game genuinely playable with a controller.

Edit: That said, there are too many solid free-to-play MMOs for me to have any plans to buy into an ARR sub.

Last edited:
I'm in the beta this weekend. It's very impressive considering the disaster that 1.0 was. I've been keeping tabs on it for a while now and the direction seems good. It isn't really groundbreaking though - it's pretty standard fair as far as MMOs go albeit with a very nice coat of paint on. It feels like comfort food to me - lots of nostalgia, eye candy, and solid gameplay/systems. I would recommend a pretty beefy system for it though, without the eye candy, I'm not sure it really stands out that much from the crowd. I'll see if I can comment more as I play more. Enjoying it so far though. I'll also need to look over the NDA again to see just what I'm allowed to talk about. >.>

If there's interest, I'm not opposed to taking a second crack at a ToJ FFXIV guild. I won't be playing the game (sorry, not willing to pay a monthly subscription for any game), but I'll be ready and eager to help any volunteers wanting to start, build, and lead (or help lead) a ToJ guild.

I rolled a toon named Hinotan Exanti on the Cactaur server for this weekend's beta. Looking forward to playing it tomorrow.

I got into the beta, and played a lot of V1.0. The "reboot" is epicness. The is teh fix'd...

@Kendrick: The NDA is lifted.

@Tek: I have yet to see any other Christian gaming group looking into making a guild (free company) for FFXIV. I was debating making a FB group just trying to pull as many as I could in that was interested in being in a Christian based FC for FFXIV. Though, I am not sure what my interest for leading a Chapter is...

Last edited:
I really wish I had the time/money to sink into an mmo, but, alas, college...

I hope enough interest gets stirred here to start a ToJ guild! I'll be sure to let my friends know if it ends up happening.

Heads up: The next beta event is scheduled for June 21, 2013 (Friday), 2:00 a.m. to June 23, 2013 (Sunday), 2:00 a.m. (PDT).

I will be on probably most of that time, depending...

I saw that the NDA has been lifted, and that makes me happy. I really like the game. I'm playing a... uhm... thaumaturge. I really enjoy the magic system so far at class level 10 (at least, I think I left off at level ten). The ability to constantly adjust the figurative slider from low cost/power to high cost/power through spell selection is really cool.

The game is magically Final Fantasy to the core. The fact that Uematsu wrote the original score (though others have contributed to the soundtrack since then) only improves things.

I still won't be subbing, but if they ever decide to move to buy-to-play, I'll certainly be picking it up. I like it a lot, but I have no interest in shelling out monthly expense on a single game.

I still won't be subbing, but if they ever decide to move to buy-to-play, I'll certainly be picking it up. I like it a lot, but I have no interest in shelling out monthly expense on a single game.

Yes, I will definitely consider picking up the PS3 version if they go that route.

Everyone thought that the F2P/B2P movement would eventually be the standard for MMO game; however, most games that are F2P or have gone F2P have had to cut jobs and slow down development. I used to fully support F2P because of cost, but then I see how harder it is for a game to constantly maintain and advance a living world without a large monthly influx of money. Games that support a sub and actually are able to hold it, usually offer more content and don't have to cut jobs. Living worlds cost more manpower/time/work to maintain than your $60 blockbuster hit. To expect to pay $60 for a game that is in constant development is not practical... It would be nice if game development didn't cost money, but those are people, with jobs, so again, it's just not practical... Another point, most $60 games give you what, 20-30 hours of gameplay/fun at most? While a game like FFXIV will give you 500+ hours of gameplay/fun easy...

One good example right now is Guild Wars 2 (Anet). They are really starting to struggle to produce good quality monthly content due to funding and manpower. This is because they promised a top quality AAA MMO for F2P...which over time, isn't possible... The best experiment for it was GW2, and with some of their latest monthly content updates, it showing itself incapable...

Another example is Trion Worlds. A month before their slightly popular MMO Rift went free to play, they laid off 80% of the company...

I could keep going, but I'm really just ranting.........

Now, personally I don't want to pay $15/month to play a game, but I will for this one. It deserves it. The game will be worth it, and I will feel like I'm helping a struggling company out...

Whew...that was a lot more than I intended to write... :p

EDIT: After doing some math, let's look at this logically. $15/month = $180/year. That's the equivalent to 3 games. I play an MMO on average 500 hours a year. So that's 60-90 hours of fun, versus 500 hours of fun.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you. I think that truly quality MMO titles need a subscription system to maintain their quality. The only issue is that I have limited time when school rolls around, and I don't want to feel pressured to get my 15 bucks worth every month when I should probably be focusing on grades... Come graduation I may consider an MMO.

I totally agree with you. I think that truly quality MMO titles need a subscription system to maintain their quality. The only issue is that I have limited time when school rolls around, and I don't want to feel pressured to get my 15 bucks worth every month when I should probably be focusing on grades... Come graduation I may consider an MMO.

I completely understand.

Another example is Trion Worlds. A month before their slightly popular MMO Rift went free to play, they laid off 80% of the company...

FYI not a single RIFT staff member was laid off, this was Defiance crew after launch, the failed End of Nations game, and a few other projects. But this had no effect on RIFT f2p as they had been planning this for a long time and they had no layoffs at all. Right after the xpac launch there was RIFT layoffs but that is normal procedure for every MMO who releases an Xpac, you don't need those temp workers anymore.

Also the RIFT f2p experience is the best I have ever seen and should be the gold standard moving forward. For example just in the wardrobe alone (a very small percentage of the store) are over 180 outfits at launch. If all f2p play launches were like this, the whole idea would work. In my opinion.

Last edited:
To expect to pay $60 for a game that is in constant development is not practical.
Oh. I don't expect that at all. Good content is hardly created ex nihilo, but even a justified price point doesn't make it a justified expense. I rarely spend $15 on a game, much more rare that I spend $60. Using the $60 price point makes for reasonable mathematical comparisons of costs-to-value, but it loses a lot of traction for such frugal gamers like myself who shudder at the thought of paying full retail for any game that isn't Pokemon or Starcraft. haha

This certainly gets into matters of preference and gaming habits, but I would much rather buy two or three Steam/GMG/Amazon/Humble Bundle/etc. games on sale a month than put that into a month of game subscription time. I've had subs to multiple games over time (EVE, Phantasy Star Universe, WoW, DCUO, and SWTOR all come to mind immediately), but I never saw fit to continue any of those subs, though I consider that only a matter of relative value to me rather than quality of the game.

Of course, it doesn't help my case that I have an oversized backlog of excellent games still waiting to be finished. haha

Getting back on track here: All that said, if I were to sub to an MMO, FFXIV:ARR would definitely be high on the list of games for consideration. No small deal since it's the only non-sandbox MMO on that short list of three (the other two being EVE Online and Age of Wushu). The game is rather enjoyable so far. :)

Last edited:
FYI not a single RIFT staff member was laid off...

...Also the RIFT f2p experience is the best I have ever seen...

First, multiple sources claim ALL of Trion World's studios were hit with lay offs last month, if you have an article supporting otherwise, please share it. Also, I am not sure when the XPac came out, but that article also says that the Rift studio got hit with layoffs in December.

Second, I have a rather limited experience with Rift F2P, but so far my experience has been under sub-par. First, I could not transfer to the server all my friends were on. And second, on both my characters I could not complete any quests due to areas being "locked". So my first impression of Rift's F2P is pretty poor...

(that came out harsher than I intended, but I'm not sure how else to word it, and my wife's rushing me out the door :p)

Lots of text followed by :)

I understand that stance, however, I am terrible at multitasking. And in my personal play style, I would rather play the same evolving game for 6 months, than 12 awesome different games in 6 months.

Last edited:
I heard directly from the head devs on their twitch tv that not a single RIFT employee was layed off. People like to make up crap rumors sometimes.
The xpac came out in November with the people getting laid off the next month in December.

It totally sucks you could not transfer to friends, but the response has been overwhelming and they had to bring up new servers and start queues on existing ones. There are no locked down areas so I am not sure what happened there.

Last edited:
I heard directly from the head devs on their twitch tv that not a single RIFT employee was layed off. People like to make up crap rumors sometimes.
The xpac came out in November with the people getting laid off the next month in December.

That's good, and yeah, especially big name video game blogs...whatever can stir up their comments board I guess...

It totally sucks you could not transfer to friends, but the response has been overwhelming and they had to bring up new servers and start queues on existing ones. There are no locked down areas so I am not sure what happened there.

Yeah, I was at the main "light side" city, and had quests to turn in at the adjacement level 6-20 area, and when I went to port there I got a message that said that area is locked for me. It was like that on both my characters. Even if I just tried to trot on in to the zone, got the same message...

Back the FFXIV stuffz...

Depending I may post a thread gauging interest in a Free Company (guild), and if the interest is high enough, I may decide to lead it...

Back