Essential Anime

My Ghost in the Shell SAC and SAC 2nd Gig sets ran me $100 apiece, but I didn't find those to be too unreasonable. Of course, I purchased them with gift cards I wasn't going to use on anything else. I read that when you run down the costs as far as (in Japan) TV taxes, and then retail prices, you get full DVD sets at around half the cost in the US compared to Japan. Not sure how true that is, but whatever. I would definitely buy quite a bit if it were still on shelves by the time I had the money for it, but the way the anime market is in the US, there is too much mediocre product, and too little shelf space for something that isn't Naruto.

I just checked GITS and they are running at $40 a piece on amazon UK. Thats a fair price. I think the more popular a series is, the cheaper it gets.. FMA was like $20 for 4 episodes in each dvd set.. yikes.

And yes, after going into best buy and barnes & noble in CA, i dont understand why everyone bums naruto.

Here's a bit of research. Sample DVD set : Cowboy Bebop Complete.

Amazon UK. Vol 1 - $60 eqv. Region 2 encoding. There are 2 volumes making it $120.

Amazon USA. $40 with £20 second hand. Region 1 encoding.

Amazon Japan. $450 eqv. Region 7 encoding. Japanese audio.

Surely i converted that wrong...lol. But with multi region players, i should be ordering all my stuff from amazon USA or best buy and shipping it to my mother in law in CA..lol.

I wonder if Japanese DVD releases include English subtitles? If so, let's hope we can find a bilingual Christian gamer living in Japan and willing to buy and ship things to the US and UK.

Pfft. I wish. I'm still checking Play Asia every other day to see if the black DS paddle controller is back in stock--and wishing I could afford to import Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7-tsu no Shima no Daibouken.

By the way, Dennou Coil is still not licensed. Since you're already familiar with BitTorrent, go ahead and queue up the full series--but expect to wait a while for the downloads to finish. The series started in May 2007, so there aren't many remaining seeds. It doesn't help that there's no official batch torrent, either.

Last edited:
Is Coil in Jap or Eng?
Japanese audio with English subtitles. There won't be any English audio until/unless the series gets licensed and distributed in the US.

Hmm...live in Japan and send out anime to the US...prob not a bad way to make a living. Some news on the front here..my wife's parents bought a second house in Japan. Its a nice 2.5 bedroom house in a high rise complex. Her mom wanted to invest in it with the hopes that my wife and I would move there if we had our own place. My wife are discussing it for future endeavours.

UPDATE: Fansub group Ureshii has released a batch torrent for all 26 episode of Dennou Coil.

Just finished downloading dennou coil and full metal alcehmist. will enjoy watching them shortly :)

No joke. I was eyeing the 8GB torrent for the full series of Dennou Coil in MKV.

/me checks the D: drive on his desktop for space

EIGHT GB? Never. Maybe I should look into putting linux on my PS3. Maybe I could just dl straight to that then.

I'm another Hayao Miyazaki fan; his work was my first introduction to modern anime. Spirited Away is very good, though I agree with everyone else that it is very confusing for Westerners. Howl's Moving Castle is also wonderful, and an excellent introduction to steampunk anime. Kiko's is cute and fun, but it's it Miyazaki, so there's more to it than one may expect.

If you stumble across it, look at some of the REALLY old stuff, like Star Blazers (the English version eliminates the objectionable content, I'm told) or Battle of the Planets (the American release of Gatchaman). I grew up on Battle of the Planets, and was wholeheartedly addicted to it.

Also add another vote for Fruits Basket (Furuba). It's not fluff, though it may seem like it at first. The series deals with some serious themes!

As for Ouran High School Host Club, it may be too odd for many guys. It's not until the last quarter or so of the series that a lot of stuff starts to make sense. Let's just say it's not as outrageous as it seems at first. (I know it freaked ME out at first!) However, the the

first off id like to say, if you dont mind subtitles (u get used to them very quickly), watching anime in the original JP is the only way to go.
A precious few of them have an excellent English version; Fullmetal Alchemist comes to mind. But most are poorly dubbed, or fan dubbed.

another VERY good anime is Death Note, some may find it a bit offensive but i enjoy it alot. it rlly doesnt feel like an anime to me but it is one of my favorites so far. id highly reccomend seeing it, or at least the first few ep's.
To say Death Note is popular may be the understatement of the year when it comes to anime. I plan to watch at least the first few myself, before Anime Weekend Atlanta, so I have some idea what's going on. Seriously, at Momocon at Georgia Tech in March, probably a quarter of the attendees were in Death Note costumes. I think it may have even beat out Naruto!

Ok, I'm new to this, what do I have to do to get the subtitles? Or should I say why when I play the Dennou Coil files (the 8gigs) I don't get any English translation?

Ok, I'm new to this, what do I have to do to get the subtitles? Or should I say why when I play the Dennou Coil files (the 8gigs) I don't get any English translation?
What are you using to play the .MKV files?

I know that I usually have to right-click on the video once it's loaded and select English subtitles before they'll appear. I dropped VLC and switched to Zoom Player recently, but there are other solid video players out there with .MKV support.

I was just playing them in wmp, but maybe I need to try another program... looks like they work on zoom, but still not for wmp, oh well atleast I can read them now.

Back