Essential Anime

Oh so don't go there dude. You mess with my fond childhood memories of Voltron and I'll go directly to forming my blazing sword and finish you off :p ...If the blazing sword always worked why didn't they form it at the start of a fight anyway? Hmmm the mind boggles... :D
Because producers need 22 minutes of content to push 8 minutes of action figure promos and junk food ads.

EDIT: Sorry. I just wanted to make one post in this thread that was less than a full typed page in length.

Avatar is a good series for sure. My wife and I watch it and thoroughly enjoy it. We are awaiting the next DVD on pre-order now. :)

first off id like to say, if you dont mind subtitles (u get used to them very quickly), watching anime in the original JP is the only way to go.

as for anime, Saikano is one of my faves, its a bit sappy but i loved it. the ending is something you NEVER see coming. be warned after ep9 it starts getting gross (the death toll of war gets higher).

another VERY good anime is Death Note, some may find it a bit offensive but i enjoy it alot. it rlly doesnt feel like an anime to me but it is one of my favorites so far. id highly reccomend seeing it, or at least the first few ep's.

Ive heard trigun is a good series, haven't seen it yet myself.
Last Exile is good, as atown said.

the only other anime i can think of is Big O, but thats no the best out there.

I didn't mean to deliver a "fair and balanced report." My post wasn't written as a news article; it was written as my personal opinion.

On the same subject: It's almost universally agreed that Cowboy Bebop is better than Outlaw Star. Check those two links for ratings and you'll see that Cowboy Bebop's rating is more than one full point higher than Outlaw Star's.

As I've said before, I like Outlaw Star. I enjoyed watching it with friends. I would recommend the series (minus the hot springs episode, which didn't air in the US) to others. At the same time, I hold that Cowboy Bebop is a much better series.

i actually hated cowboy bebop so yeah lol. and i thought the hot springs episode was in american.... at least im pretty sure i remember watching it on tv...

I dont suppose there is a website where you can read a brief synopsis of each film (and before everyone screams amazon or similar) with specific reference to the level of violence/sex/language contained within.

I enjoyed the first season of Code Geass a lot. It's licensed now, but it's on Swim on Saturday nights. I think one of the old school Power Rangers is voicing Lelouche.

I dont suppose there is a website where you can read a brief synopsis of each film (and before everyone screams amazon or similar) with specific reference to the level of violence/sex/language contained within.
I know the Anime News Network encyclopedia usually tags series with ratings descriptors.

The general rule is: If it's on AnimeSuki, there's a 99% chance the series doesn't contain any nudity. AnimeSuki doesn't include links to hentai series.

first off id like to say, if you dont mind subtitles (u get used to them very quickly), watching anime in the original JP is the only way to go.

as for anime, Saikano is one of my faves, its a bit sappy but i loved it. the ending is something you NEVER see coming. be warned after ep9 it starts getting gross (the death toll of war gets higher).

another VERY good anime is Death Note, some may find it a bit offensive but i enjoy it alot. it rlly doesnt feel like an anime to me but it is one of my favorites so far. id highly reccomend seeing it, or at least the first few ep's.

Ive heard trigun is a good series, haven't seen it yet myself.
Last Exile is good, as atown said.

the only other anime i can think of is Big O, but thats no the best out there.
Big-o was amazing, and so was witch hunter robin. i really liked the mellow attitudes of the shows.

No one has mentioned Fruits Basket yet. That's my favorite. I also love Ouran Host Club. They might be more girlish, but I know a number of guys who really enjoy them.

Can't go wrong with Miyazaki....have to agree with everyone else on that.

I watched Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust and it was pretty good. Despite the title and theme it wasnt excessively violent and the plot was solid.

Dunno whats next to try out.

I borrowed Grave of the fireflies, princess mononoke and my neighbour totoro and will be watching them soon. Also i have Devil May Cry to check out.. good times.

I watched Devil May Cry.. its a poor attempt at style over substance.. The plot really doesnt get going until the last few episodes.. Although it does have a few gems. Its quite violent but has no nudity and little bad language.

I watched and loved Spirited Away. I have a few more films of that director to check out.

I am thinking of downloading a series to check it out. What would you guys recommend?

- Neon genesis evangelon
- Blood+
- full metal alchemist.
- gits
- other?

I dont want a huge number of episodes and want something thats pretty easy to follow as an englishman. I am a total cowboy bebop fan.. as everyone should be.

- Blood+
- full metal alchemist.

These two are both great animes. I really enjoyed Blood, and I was enjoying Full Metal Alchemist before the website I was watching it off of took it down due to copyright issues (sad). Full Metal Alchemist won a ton of awards and I could see why, as it was very good up through episode 23 when I had to stop.

You can pick FMA up on DVD for a pretty reasonable price. I was hoping to pick Blood+ up on release, but the full dvd set was priced wrong in the circular :-(

You can get all studio ghibli movies up to Spirited away in a box set for cheap if you go to your local China Town. Worth every cent as it is all relatively clean and diverse. My vote is Valley of the Wind which is a must see. There is also a very sad tale about a brother looking after his sister during the WWII (can't remember the name off the top of my head but it is in the box set i referred to). It is so unusually for the genre and one of the most heart-wrenching dramas I have seen regardless of genre.

I believe that's Grave of the Fireflies. I saw the same set around Christmas and kinda made the puppy dog face at it, but I didn't have the cash to spare.

I believe that's Grave of the Fireflies. I saw the same set around Christmas and kinda made the puppy dog face at it, but I didn't have the cash to spare.

Thats the one. Excellent movie. My wife was bawling during the movie, despite the fact they were essentially cartoon characters.

Sadly i am in the UK and cannot pick up any DVDs for cheap. I have looked online but due to the lack of Anime popularity over here, the prices are steep. Ghibli DVDs will set you back $20-$30 each (although i have found some cheaper).... A Cowboy Bebop set will cost you $120 compared with $40 at Best Buy USA...

One day i will fill out my DVD collection, but for now i stick with torrents.. the poor mans DVD :)

EDIT: I have most of the Ghibli collection from my friend who owns them..

Last edited:
Back