End Times

Marcylene said:
Farrel Till? You and your sources! Why, pray tell, would I believe what he says?

DV, that is one of the problems that I have with other versions! At the very best, it is someone else interpreting Scripture. The verse reads:

Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book. Revelation 22:7

Quickly, as I have explained as in the twinkling of an eye:

In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. I Corinthians 15:52

And I contend you are taking that word out of context.

Remember our whole objective discussion?

cc.slim said:
Gosh some of the things dv brings out is astounding but One thing still remains is the coming, so like when there is a empty forum and no one to argue or debate with then what!!!! Look things are foretold and the signs r right on the money! It was foretold about Jesus's first coming in the beginning of the Bible. Do you have a clue what they said then. I don't but it is a fact he was born and he also died for YOU n me... End of Time yes everyday only because I choose to follow and Yes it is a choice! One that "everyone" has to make! So whats it gonna be Yes or No, no maybe's enter. There is no point n finding out what day week or yr Our Christ returns just live as he would and fear not>>>>

And, again, that is exactly what Christians have been saying for 2,000 years!

Dark Virtue said:
And I contend you are taking that word out of context.
Remember our whole objective discussion?
I honestly do try to be objective. I am comparing the truth of the Bible, to the truth of the Bible. In that sense, you understand the meaning. It ain't the end until we hear that last trump and see Him in the clouds!
Dark Virtue said:
Exactly what would I get out of going that I didn't get in all my years of church going??
Actually, I was just going to send him to your place, you don't have to go anywhere:) He is a good and Godly man. I am not saying that your preacher wasn't. Just that Johnny Pope can answer many of your quesitons, straight from the heart, far better than I can. Preacher went to Bible college with him and thinks very highly of him. I will get to hear him preach next month, I can hardly wait!!!

Marcylene said:
I honestly do try to be objective. I am comparing the truth of the Bible, to the truth of the Bible. In that sense, you understand the meaning. It ain't the end until we hear that last trump and see Him in the clouds!

How can you be OBJECTIVE when you only compare the Bible to the Bible?

Actually, I was just going to send him to your place, you don't have to go anywhere:) He is a good and Godly man. I am not saying that your preacher wasn't. Just that Johnny Pope can answer many of your quesitons, straight from the heart, far better than I can. Preacher went to Bible college with him and thinks very highly of him. I will get to hear him preach next month, I can hardly wait!!!

I am more interested in YOUR PERSONAL opinions. And why YOU believe what YOU believe.

Dark Virtue said:
How can you be OBJECTIVE when you only compare the Bible to the Bible?
I feel that this is being objective. Consider that God speaks to us primarily through His Word. There are many who believe that they hear God today. I mean no condemnation towards them, but he truth of the matter is that if what they are hearing does not align with God's Word, then it is false. The same is true for the Bible. We were never meant to be spoon fed by preachers, or commentaries, nor mans opinions.
These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:11
You must admit, our history is so muddled today. I want to search the truth by the Truth. Perhaps you are right, I don't seek objectivity as much as the truth! When it comes to seeking things out aside from the Word, I, as much as you, go to men I admire and sources I respect. Men in whose lives were changed by God. Men who proclaimed and loved God. Our sources are simply differing! Nevertheless, I do try to empathize with you, and explain to the best of my knowledge. I think I can safely speak that for those who correspond with you here.

I agree; saying "the Bible is true because the Bible says so" is in my opinion, no way to form a convincing argument, to say the least...
(not that I can do much better!!)

I f I were to think the world was comeing to that final curtain

This would be why;

Nothing else tells me its coming faster than this. But at 28 million light years, well alot can happen.

I am pretty sure well have this discusion again when I am 60, LOL

^ nice new pic Papatoad; with our Guild tabard on too! :D I need a new pic for myself too.

and way to go to get back on topic! End times...it's really fuzzy. It's difficult to predict the future; I mean, WW1 was sudden, Genghis Khan was sudden, etc...big things happen by surprise. BUT...one thing is certain; not EVERYONE is surprised when they do happen...because those people that know are often the ones who INITIATE it.

Random thought, I think I mentioned it before: maybe the end times are supposed to be started by a few individuals with some big aspirations...

This thread isn't about when the end times will begin, it's about Christians beleiving they have been living in the end times for centuries.

Nice quote DV; I rather agree with it actually.

Anyway, thanks for redirecting the posts...;)

I feel one major component of people continuously thinking that they're in the end times incorrectly is based upon the idea that the "end times" are a specific period of time just before the second coming.
I think that's a subtle but significant misconception; the times have been ending, the times are ending now, and the times will end one day. End times are any time between the first ascension and the second coming in my opinion...
So, by my definition, we ARE in the end times, and so were the first apostles, and so shall be the generation that personally witness the second coming. It's a matter of how a person acts based upon that mentality that counts, in my opinion...

www.icr.org
Prophecy
October 5, 2005

"I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him" (Deuteronomy 18:18).

Two types of prophecy must be distinguished. When a prophet foretells or predicts, he represents the future in light of the present. But frequently the prophetic message consisted of rebuking, reproving, counseling, or admonishing, i.e., forth-telling, rather than fore-telling. As such, he portrays the present in light of the future.

It is the predictive type of prophecy which provides such a strong argument for rational faith. Neither human intuition about the future nor limited Satanic control of the future can account for the hundreds of specific Biblical prophecies that have been literally and specifically fulfilled. These could only come by Divine revelation from the One who both knows and controls the future.

Actually, predictive prophecy provides a double defense: Not only does it prove the divine origin, inspiration, and authority of Scripture, but since over half of the prophecies converge on the person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ, it advocates His deity and Messiahship. One could hardly read Isaiah 52:13-53:12 or Psalm 22 without recognizing that these are prophetic portraits of Christ on the cross. Others, equally specific, deal with other aspects of His life and ministry.

Still others predict the coming Kingdom to be set up by Christ, in which we as believers will have a part. Having seen so many prophecies literally fulfilled, we can have complete confidence that these others will come to pass as well. "We shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as He is pure" (I John 3:2-3). JDM
I LIKE that "r" word!!

The point is, yes, men have thought through the ages that the end was near. And yes, signs were seemingly eminent. Nevertheless, as history rolls, we can see that, those things that were mistaken are far worse than in the days of our forefathers. There is only one prophecy that has yet to be fulfilled. Yet scoffers will continue to belittle the Christian for believing the return of our LORD draws near. It is a shame they overlook the many prophecies that have already been fulfilled.

Marcylene said:
The point is, yes, men have thought through the ages that the end was near. And yes, signs were seemingly eminent. Nevertheless, as history rolls, we can see that, those things that were mistaken are far worse than in the days of our forefathers. There is only one prophecy that has yet to be fulfilled. Yet scoffers will continue to belittle the Christian for believing the return of our LORD draws near. It is a shame they overlook the many prophecies that have already been fulfilled.[/font][/color][/font]

Isn't it possible that Christians are, once again, misinterpreting a seemingly imminent return? If Christians were wrong before, why do you think you are right now?

I don't think skeptics are belittling Christians, but after 2,000 years, the warnings start to ring a little hollow.

Sorta off topic, but curious....

DV - as an athiest, what would your impression be if all Christians disappeared tomorrow

Dark Virtue said:
Isn't it possible that Christians are, once again, misinterpreting a seemingly imminent return? If Christians were wrong before, why do you think you are right now?.
The rebuilding of Solomon's temple along with animal sacrifices is, once agian, the only sign stated in Mark and Matthew that has not been fulfilled. He will come again, in that Christians throughout ages are correct...yet, even now, until that temple is in the works, proclaiming the end is here, is not correct.
Dark Virtue said:
I don't think skeptics are belittling Christians, but after 2,000 years, the warnings start to ring a little hollow.
I understand.

Genesis1315 said:
Sorta off topic, but curious....

DV - as an athiest, what would your impression be if all Christians disappeared tomorrow

That's a question that only begs other questions.

But I'll make it easy on you...if I suddenly found myself in the aftermath of the rapture I'd scratch my head and realize I'd suddenly found the evidence I've waited my whole life for.

Now, that's an AWFUL big if though.

Genesis1315 said:
and so I must ask, please feel free to start another thread if needed.

What other questions?

Thank you for indulging my question

Exactly how does it happen?

Who, exactly is raptured?

Who is left?

What if people who thought they were Christians and expected to be raptured didn't go?

What about people that didn't expect to rapture yet did anyway?

I could go on and on for days, but it's pointless because they are all hypotheticals that can't be answered.

Thanks for the questions. I think I could answer some of them, but that would probably start a whole different path.

Gen

Back