Does God believe in you?

Rithkil, where in the Bible does it say that?

Consider when it was written. Now consider that Christ said he would be returning SOON, within the lifetime of those that heard him. That was over 2,000 years ago.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Rithkil, where in the Bible does it say that?

Consider when it was written. Now consider that Christ said he would be returning SOON, within the lifetime of those that heard him. That was over 2,000 years ago.

In all of the gospels at the end when Jesus is resurected and ascends to heaven.

That is an older argument. There is no time for God or Jesus. We do not understand his plan. Jesus could have returned already. Or soon could be like 3000 years. Nobody knows the answer to when, it says that too.

The question then begs itself, why did Jesus lead his followers to think he was returning in their lifetime if he KNEW that he didn't mean that?

He didn't say that. And they didn't think that. He did mean SOON. Do you think he was joking? Or lying? Just how long is SOON for Jesus? That's what I'm saying. Jesus didn't mislead his followers.

I don't know how long soon is to Jesus.

He told his believers that He would return SOON, in their lifetime, before they died.

He did not say, "I will return soon...but soon to me could be 2,000 years."

Everything he said, did and taught, led his followers to believe that he would return SOON.

Why don't you think that he said?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I don't know how long soon is to Jesus.

Exactly, nobody does

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He told his believers that He would return SOON, in their lifetime, before they died.

No, he did not say that. Where are you getting this? This is false information.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He did not say, "I will return soon...but soon to me could be 2,000 years."

No he didn't so we don't KNOW what SOON is to him. He could already be back for all we know. We don't know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Everything he said, did and taught, led his followers to believe that he would return SOON.

Why don't you think that he said?

Because that is NOT what he said. SOON could mean that he will be in our hearts, which is already. SOON could mean ANYTHING for Jesus. We don't know when or where he will return. ALl we know is he will return. It does not matter, when, it matters that he will.

I started a thread on this, which has fallen by the way side. I will post the OP for you, since it will answer your questions:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Matthew 16

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what he has done. 28 I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom."

This text seems pretty clear. Christ said that He would return before some of the people He was talking to died. But He did not, why?

Let me see if I can save some time and address some common defenses to this problem.

Some biblical inerrantists try to assert that the verse above doesn't talk about Christ's second coming, but rather His transfiguration which occurs in the next chapter. This isn't plausible for three reasons:
1.) Christ mentions in the passage that He would come "with His angels in the glory of His Father." The transfiguration text, however, makes no mention of angels.
2.) The context in which Christ spoke makes clear references to judgment, but at the transfiguration, just as there were no angels, there was no final judgment either. In fact, no judgment of any kind was involved in this story, so how could this event have been the fulfillment of Jesus’s promise in the preceding chapter?
3.) The beginning of the next chapter mentions that the transfiguration happened only six days after Christ had said that some hearing Him that day would not die until they saw Him coming in His kingdom. Now if the fulfillment of Christ's promise to His audience had come only six days later, that would mean that Christ had, in effect, said, "Verily, I say to you, there are some standing here who will still be alive six days from now to see the son of man coming in his kingdom," which is NOT the meaning of the verses.

Now let's be clear...Christ was to return SOON, this is the message that was preached in the New Testament.

Examples:

James 5
Patience in Suffering
7 Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. 8 You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near.

1 Peter 4
7 The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.

1 John 2
Warning Against Antichrists
18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.

Now let's look at another common defense, the issue of time:

2 Peter 3
8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.

Unfortunately, there is a HUGE problem with this verse. Not only the verse, but the book of 2 Peter. According to Fr. Raymond E. Brown, a member of the Vatican's Roman Pontifical Biblical Commission, 95% of biblical critical scholars believe that Peter did not write 2 Peter. According to religioustolerance.org...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Most Christian conservatives accept Peter as the author. However, there is a consensus among liberals that he could not have written the epistle. The book refers to the book of Jude, which was written too late to have been known by Peter. The book also refers to the writings of Paul as "scriptures." This term was not applied to Paul's writings until long after Peter's death. Also, the author supports the belief that Jesus' second coming was in the immediate future. He criticizes the increasing doubt about the immanence of the second coming within the Christian community - a problem that only materialized long after Peter's death. The author stresses the importance of correct knowledge in order to grow in faith: knowledge that Jesus would be returning at any moment, and knowledge of how to conduct godly lives.

I assert that this book was penned much later as a form of damage control for the people at that time who were complaining that Christ had not come soon, as He had promised.

See, there it never says that he will return in their lifetime. It says some of them will not taste death. Thank you for giving me exact information about where you were getting this.

Uh, what do you think they will not taste death MEANS?

That they would not die before he came back.

Look at the verse, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom"

What do you think it means?

Do you also see the urgency in the texts? His disciples understood what he meant. He was coming SOON.

I will never taste Death.

Absent form the body, present with the Lord.

THey will never taste death as they will live in the presence of the Lord as sson at they leave their bodies.

Byblos, for one to have faith in something, they need to know what they are putting their faith into.

Usually that's done through study.

When one puts faith in something and they don't know why, that's called BLIND faith.

And that's not good.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He told his believers that He would return SOON, in their lifetime, before they died.

Pentecost

Now, back to the topic.....

Waaaaaay back, I posted on what I believe. DV, can you please expand on what you wanted to know? What additional information were you looking for?

Anyone else? How do YOU know that God believes in you?

Actually Gen, Christ wasn't referring to the transfiguration.

BUT...that has all been covered in another thread.

And no, I have no further questions on the subject, thank you.

and DV you dont know what he was talking about either
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Oct. 19 2004,9:16)]Byblos, for one to have faith in something, they need to know what they are putting their faith into.

Usually that's done through study.

When one puts faith in something and they don't know why, that's called BLIND faith.

And that's not good.
Heh listen to yourself for a second..

Usually that is done through study? On what PLANET is faith usually gained through study? Id say USUALLY a child has faith in their parent without having to study them...

You dont NEED to study anything, God speaks to the heart not the mind.

Study is needed to learn WHERE and WHEN to put your faith.

You're right, faith can't be learned, but that is not what I was suggesting.

Byblos, if you don't need to study ANYTHING, as you suggest, then why did God go through all the trouble of getting the Bible to you?

For that matter, why go to church? Just for the fellowship?

Why listen to Pastor Joe's audio tapes?

Why do any of that if you get all the info you need straight from God?

Study IS important.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Genesis1315 @ Oct. 19 2004,7:41)]The transfiguration and Pentecost are two separate things
Both topics have been covered in a thread in this forum.

I'd love your input if you have the time.

Back