Denouncing other Religions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Virtue

Just curious...do Christians denounce other religions in a secular fashion?

In other words, apart from stating something similar to, "God is right, therefore, all other religions are wrong".

Is it easier just to state that?

Have you tried?

What conclusions did you come to?

What was the basis for your conclusions, how did you reach them?

Thanks!

Here is the trick with this you con denounce them no problem. However, denouncing them to their face could take guts. Many who have done so through out history have been martyred. Don't believe me? look up this name Nate Saint.

I read the Bible and concluded that Allah is not God, and Jesus is the Son of God, not a prophet, therefore I state that Islam is incorrect.

Yeah, anyway, I do think that Christianity is the only way... like Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one gets to the Father except through Me"

DarthDapor said:
Here is the trick with this you con denounce them no problem. However, denouncing them to their face could take guts. Many who have done so through out history have been martyred. Don't believe me? look up this name Nate Saint.

To further this you should watch End of the Spear in theaters, which is on Nate Saint and all who died with him.

Dark Virtue said:
Just curious...do Christians denounce other religions in a secular fashion?

In other words, apart from stating something similar to, "God is right, therefore, all other religions are wrong".

Is it easier just to state that?

Have you tried?

What conclusions did you come to?

What was the basis for your conclusions, how did you reach them?

Thanks!

Are you talking about accepting Christ and then deciding to trust God and take the idea that all other religions are wrong on your favorite way of reasoning, blind faith?

I don't think any Christians would be truly wrong in taking this approach, because they'd be trusting in God completely.

That said, it doesn't hurt to investigate other religions and look at them with "secular reasoning".

I know you believe there is a lack of evidence for the existence of God, so this will seem implausible to you, or perhaps ironic (which from re-reading your initial post just now, is what you look to be waiting to point out upon responses).

Where I find sufficient enough evidence for God to support my faith, I find a dearth of evidence to support other faiths.

I haven't seen anyone punch a fatal hole in the teachings of Scripture or the existence of God, and that's not necessarily the case with other religions. Undoubtedly you're familiar with arguments against other religions, or you wouldn't be a "weak atheist."

However, as a Christian, I don't hold this as my primary reason for denouncing other faiths. That can be found in John 14:6.

I think its more along the lines of, "God has reavealed Himself to me and forgiven my treacherous iniquities, I better listen to Him..."

ChickenSoup said:
I read the Bible and concluded that Allah is not God, and Jesus is the Son of God, not a prophet, therefore I state that Islam is incorrect.

Yeah, anyway, I do think that Christianity is the only way... like Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one gets to the Father except through Me"

That still leaves like a bajillion other religions.

Do you think that a Muslim who read the Koran could conclude that the God of the Bible is incorrect by only reading the Koran?

Yes, I knew that.

Then back to Dark Virtue's question. and I quote "You left out the 'trick'" when I said trick I meant trick as in like a skate board trick, for a lack of a better example.

MeridianFlight said:
Are you talking about accepting Christ and then deciding to trust God and take the idea that all other religions are wrong on your favorite way of reasoning, blind faith?

I don't think any Christians would be truly wrong in taking this approach, because they'd be trusting in God completely.

That said, it doesn't hurt to investigate other religions and look at them with "secular reasoning".

I know you believe there is a lack of evidence for the existence of God, so this will seem implausible to you, or perhaps ironic (which from re-reading your initial post just now, is what you look to be waiting to point out upon responses).

Where I find sufficient enough evidence for God to support my faith, I find a dearth of evidence to support other faiths.

I haven't seen anyone punch a fatal hole in the teachings of Scripture or the existence of God, and that's not necessarily the case with other religions. Undoubtedly you're familiar with arguments against other religions, or you wouldn't be a "weak atheist."

However, as a Christian, I don't hold this as my primary reason for denouncing other faiths. That can be found in John 14:6.

You do realize that there is a whole world out there that doesn't find sufficient evidence/reason/cause to support Christianity, right?

I've seen/read/heard plenty of people punch sufficiently fatal holes in Christianity. Maybe you're just not looking in the right place :)

No offense, but John 14:6 does nothing that similar verses in other religions accomplish. The "I am right, and other religions are wrong simply because I say so" doesn't really hold much weight. You're basing your beliefs on a logical fallacy.

Dark Virtue said:
That still leaves like a bajillion other religions.

Do you think that a Muslim who read the Koran could conclude that the God of the Bible is incorrect by only reading the Koran?

Yes, but I believe that their Koran is wrong.

I think denouncing somebodies religion does nothing to set up a proper dialogue and exchange. Jesus' approach was always show them the way. It sets up an open space, so to speak, that allows people to come to you and say, Hey, I want what you have, how do I go about doing it. Of course this would mean Christians would have to stop being hypocrites for the most part. I think we fall into the "Do as we say not as we do" column more often then not, or more often then we should.

Right, I believe that christianity is the only way to heaven. I hov had one encounter with a person who thought that when you die you go where you believed you would go in life.
I.E.: christians go to heaven, budhists go to wherever that place is (I think she called it the spirit world), Muslems go to be with "Allah". however this philosophy brings us to the point that, no two religions on earth are going to agree that the other goes to Their place. For example, I believe one day I will go to heaven and all muslems most likely won't. Muslems believe the opposite.

Gods_Peon said:
I think denouncing somebodies religion does nothing to set up a proper dialogue and exchange. Jesus' approach was always show them the way. It sets up an open space, so to speak, that allows people to come to you and say, Hey, I want what you have, how do I go about doing it. Of course this would mean Christians would have to stop being hypocrites for the most part. I think we fall into the "Do as we say not as we do" column more often then not, or more often then we should.

Absolutely.

But this brings about another problem I see quite often.

If Christians expect other people to be open to the possibility that their beliefs are wrong, shouldn't Christians be open to the possibility that their beliefs are wrong as well? If not, how can you expect someone else to have a mindset that you aren't willing to have? Not only is that not fair, it's not honest.

Dark Virtue said:
You do realize that there is a whole world out there that doesn't find sufficient evidence/reason/cause to support Christianity, right?

Yes and no. I don't think people explore the viabilities of various faiths as much as they should, which is silly, because what's more important then the purpose of life?

Dark Virtue said:
I've seen/read/heard plenty of people punch sufficiently fatal holes in Christianity. Maybe you're just not looking in the right place :)

Am I?

In your opinon, you see these "fatal holes" in Christianity. I don't see them. There are people in both camps. What does that mean? There's no clear answer. It cannot be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Christianity is correct, and it cannot be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Christianity is incorrect.

Of course, the onus of proof lays with the proclaimer, so one could easily argue that it's up to Christianity to prove itself, and there's the problem. Some believe it has, others believe it hasn't.

Dark Virtue said:
No offense, but John 14:6 does nothing that similar verses in other religions accomplish. The "I am right, and other religions are wrong simply because I say so" doesn't really hold much weight. You're basing your beliefs on a logical fallacy.

Actually, it isn't logical fallacy. This one can be attributed to reasoning.

I believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

I believed Scripture to be God-breathed, and I believe the words that are attributed to Christ in the Bible are either exact quotes or paraphrases that accurately capture the essence of His message.

Scripture holds that Christ, the Son of God, is the only way to God.

Therefore, Christ is the only way to God.

Now you can counter that there's no way to prove this on purely scientific terms. Indeed, there isn't...at least not now. ;)

How do I know the Bible is correct and the Koran (or other religious scriptures)? Faith, evidence, and a little thing called logic.

...and oh yes, I am completely prepared to watch you call me out on those last two reasons.

DV said:
Originally Posted by Gods_Peon
Absolutely.

But this brings about another problem I see quite often.

If Christians expect other people to be open to the possibility that their beliefs are wrong, shouldn't Christians be open to the possibility that their beliefs are wrong as well? If not, how can you expect someone else to have a mindset that you aren't willing to have? Not only is that not fair, it's not honest.
When I read this I noticed an Interesting contrast of Gods_Peon looking inward, and DV just looking outward. I'm also someone who is guilty and theres nothing really special about bieng able to point out other peoples fault...

MeridianFlight said:
Yes and no. I don't think people explore the viabilities of various faiths as much as they should, which is silly, because what's more important then the purpose of life?

Absolutely!

Am I?

In your opinon, you see these "fatal holes" in Christianity. I don't see them. There are people in both camps. What does that mean? There's no clear answer. It cannot be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Christianity is correct, and it cannot be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that Christianity is incorrect.

If Christianity is the one true religion, shouldn't it be clear cut? Why should it be so hard to prove?

Of course, the onus of proof lays with the proclaimer, so one could easily argue that it's up to Christianity to prove itself, and there's the problem. Some believe it has, others believe it hasn't.

That doesn't exactly do much to prove Christianity.

Actually, it isn't logical fallacy. This one can be attributed to reasoning.

I believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

I believed Scripture to be God-breathed, and I believe the words that are attributed to Christ in the Bible are either exact quotes or paraphrases that accurately capture the essence of His message.

Scripture holds that Christ, the Son of God, is the only way to God.

Therefore, Christ is the only way to God.

Now you can counter that there's no way to prove this on purely scientific terms. Indeed, there isn't...at least not now. ;)

How do I know the Bible is correct and the Koran (or other religious scriptures)? Faith, evidence, and a little thing called logic.

...and oh yes, I am completely prepared to watch you call me out on those last two reasons.

I'd love to hear the breakdown on the logical reasons to believe in Christianity :)

Anyway, that's besides the point. The point being belief in something doesn't mean that it's true. People believed with their very soul that the world was flat...but no amount of belief in a flat earth made it so. I choose not to believe in gods because there isn't any logical reason to do so. There is no evidence to back that up. I don't believe that Faith is an intellectually honest reason to believe in things that can't be proven.

If Christianity is the one true religion, shouldn't it be clear cut? Why should it be so hard to prove?

Why should evolution be so hard to prove to people who critically examine it? (I say that because in Ohio they can teach Darwinism/evolution without critically examining it :mad:)

Master~Plan said:
When I read this I noticed an Interesting contrast of Gods_Peon looking inward, and DV just looking outward. I'm also someone who is guilty and theres nothing really special about bieng able to point out other peoples fault...

Like Christians saying nonbelievers are sinful wastes of clay that are doomed to hell?

Sometimes you need to step back and observe the trees that make up the forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back