Death Knights: an exhaustive discussion of race, spec, and profession.

Neither. They had taken it away from all humans, but it is back.

Even with their +rep bonus, I still chose the Draenei for my DK. The rep bonus is fantasic, but I still have to look at my character for a lot longer than I am worried about rep. The Draenei, to me of course, is more visually appealing.

BTW, since I'm in the DK "discussion" post, I have gotta say the following. I've tried out all of the specs except the Hybrid and so far the Blood Spec works the best for leveling. I first tried the Unholy Spec and thought it was fantastic. Went to Frost and thought, no way I'm going back to Unholy. Before I made the transition back, I thought I would give the Blood Spec a try just to make sure. Glad I did. Won't look back until I hit 80.

Also, since I have a new character name for my DK, no one seems to know it's me. Nosrac = me (Hellswinter, Reasonable). Just giving a heads up. Stop being shy! lol

Chris

Hey fellow DKs...

This is what Neirai and I came up with for my DK:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/deathknight/talents.html?tal=2305020330000000000000000003202505033500112321005001351000000000000000000000000000000

So far in Hellfire I do some pretty insane brust damage with Icy Touch/Howling Blast (1500-1700 damage crits with Howling Blast), but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the nice starting gear. We'll see how things progress. Once I'm 61 and have access to Obliterate, the plan is to use that as my main attack, mixing in Death Strikes as I need health.

Feel free to comment on the spec and offer suggestions, altho I'm pretty set on being heavy Frost.

As Connor and Neirai pointed out, the noob storyline for the DKs is pretty dark, altho redeeming in the end. The "final battle" scene is pretty amazing - kudos to Blizzard on coming up with that.

This will be my level 80 tanking build. If I find myself having trouble holding threat I may move more points into Scent of Blood. If I find aggro isn't a problem, I'll drop Scent of Blood for Imp Death Grip.

I prefer not to have to use "oh crap" buttons :) once again, if I find that survival is a problem, I'll drop some talents (perhaps again in scent of blood) and pick up rune tap. Right now I don't see it as a requirement provided I have a good healer.

The only reservation I have about my spec is that I'm focusing a lot on Frost attacks, and I wonder how many mobs in Northrend are Frost-resistant/immune. I guess that's something I can evaluate when I get there.

From what I've heard, that's not a problem like it was in WoW Classic. One thing that I have heard as a definite is that there will be no bosses in WotLK that will not be tankable by a given tanking class/spec, which means that there will be no Frost-immune bosses.

Of course, if you've met a water elemental any time lately, you know that some things are going to immune to your damage.

So on the advice of my dear brother, I am trying out Dual Wield in Frost spec. This is the spec I will probably use:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/deathknight/talents.html?tal=2305000530000000000000000003202535003502112301005001351000000000000000000000000000000

There are just a few changes from my previous spec, mostly dropping 2h spec for DW spec talents, and dropping Annihilation for Dark Conviction, as I probably won't be using Obliterate much, at least not until closer to 80.

Obliterate is weapon damage based, and obv my damage with a 1h is going to be a lot lower than a 2h. Right now while DWing, my noncrit Obliterate is hitting for around 300-400 with 2 diseases stacked. It also uses up a Frost and Unholy rune. On the other hand my Icy Touch noncrits for around 600, and Howling Blast for around 800 if I have Frost Fever on the target. They each only use a Frost Rune. For Dual Wield, I will probably use primarily Icy Touch and Howling Blast for damage, and Blood Strike when Frost is on cooldown. Once I get talents into Guile of Gorefiend, Obliterate might be worth it because of the very high crit rate, but we'll see. At this point Obliterate is much much better when delivered by a 2h weapon.

EDIT: Also @ 80 I'm going to have to see what gear is available for DKs. If there is not much +dmg available, it may be better to go back to a 2h axe and weapon skills.

Last edited:
Ok, got some answers. Just found this EXHAUSTIVE post on the elitistjerks forums:
Death Knight DPS Compendium, or "we spent way to much time with Death Knights."

Bottom line is in 6.1.8:
6.1.8. Spell Power

Don't get it. None of our spells/abilities/diseases are affected by Spell Power. None. Nada. Nothing.

All "spell" co-efficients for DKs are attack power based.

I guess it all depends on what you wanna do with your DK. I am going for a tank build. Even with a tank build, I am getting astounding dps compared to the warrior I leveled Arms. I have not rally settled on which build to use, but am going more toward a Frost supplimented by some Blood (Blade Barrier and Bladed Armor) and the +def from Anticipation and cooldown drop of Morbidity. Unholy command is really handy! But I do not know that it is essential. For DPS I was using an Unholy build and was very pleased with it for pvp. I went Frost dps and was amazed by jump in totals.

But for me it is a fluid process and I have retrained several times trying to fine tune it.

Back