Death Knights: an exhaustive discussion of race, spec, and profession.

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
Hi, I'd like to use this thread to discuss the various nuances of playing a Death Knight, in regards to maximizing utility and fun. Amongst our wea---topics are optimal races, specs, and professions for Death Knights in each of their roles.

The Death Knight is a very flexible class, and will therefore be able to fill multiple roles. Each of my introductory comments below will be aimed at the idea of Death Knights fulfilling a (PVE) Tanking, (PVE) DPS, and general-purpose PVP role. As I don't really do PVP, my knowledge of PVP roles is sadly limited. PVPers, feel free to fill in my gaps.

Races----------------------------------------------------------------
One of the hallmarks of the Death Knight class is its racial diversity -- any race can be a Death Knight! A wise player, however, may want to choose a race that most benefits his or her role choice.

Alliance
Humans: With their ability to break snares and increased stealth detection, they make good PVP Death Knights. Also, their increased chance to hit with swords make them decent for any PVE role -- as long as you're carrying a sword or two.

Dwarves: Their resistance to frost (sure to be common in Wrath) and their ability to take on Stone Form means that they're okay as PVE tanks and decent PVP races... but they're easily outshined by others.

Night Elves: With their latent -hit-to-attackers, Night Elves make excellent PVE Tanks and PVP characters. Their shadowmeld ability, however, is only all that great in PVE DPS and as a PVPer.

Gnomes: With their ability to remove speed altering affects, Gnomes make great PVPers. Also, their increased Intelligence is invaluable if you're planning on specializing as an Unholy Death Knight. Finally, their added skill in Engineering is perfect for anyone planning on going Engineering (esp good for PVP.)

Draenai: Their +hit bonus is great for any PVE role. In addition, they have a bonus to Jewelcrafting, so if you plan to go that route, they are your best choice. Finally, their bonus "Gift of the Naaru" heal, while pretty pointless if you spec Blood, might come in handy for a Frost or Unholy Knight.

Bottom line: If it was up to me, I'd go (Tank) Night Elf, (DPS) Draenai, and (PVP) Gnome.

Horde
Orcs: With enrage, added Axe expertise, and stun resistance, Orcs make great PVE and PVP characters. Also, if you plan on going Unholy, once you get your ghoul pet, the +pet damage bonus will apply. Orcs make awesome Death Knights!

Undead: The Will of the Forsaken is great in any role, but especially for tanking. Cannibalize is practically useless if you spec Blood, however.

Tauren: War Stomp is always awesome in PVP. Also, their increased health is good for both tanking and PVP.

Trolls: Berserk is good all around. Their bonus beast damage, however, is mostly only good for PVE. Extra health regeneration is mostly pointless for Death Knights, however.

Blood Elves: Magic damage resistance and silencing is great! Except that Death Knights can already do that, to a certain extent. I'd probably only use these guys if I was going pure PVP. Blood Elves also get a bonus to enchanting, which is good if you're going that route.

My opinion: Orcs, Orcs, Orcs, and in PVP, Orcs or Blood Elves.

Specializations----------------------------------------------
I'm not really going to say much about this... I want you all to come up with it yourselves! However, I'm going to talk a little about strengths and weaknesses of each kind of Death Knight.

One thing you may not have heard (or have heard from me way too much) is that Death Knights' roles are not bound by their specializations. A Blood Knight, geared and specced properly for the role, can tank, PVE DPS, or PVP. Death Knights do not have specific "Tank Trees" or "PVP Trees." Each Tree can do all three, pardon the rhyme.

What I will be discussing (guessing at?) is the optimal utility and possible weaknesses of each class type in each of the roles.

Blood
Tanking: A Blood Knight tanks by dealing damage and subsequently healing himself. Therefore, a powerful Blood tank becomes his own healer, allowing the healers involved to relax a bit. Lesser healing spells should be adequate to keep a Blood Knight up. The weakness, however, of a Blood Knight is that the Blood Knight's tanking prowess largely depends on his ability to keep his stream of healing up, so stuns, fears, and especially Mortal Strikes are particularly deadly for him.

DPS: Damage-dealing Blood Knights are very useful as support healers in the way that they keep themselves and those around them from being killed off by random situational damage, like AOEs or the like. This allows healers to keep their focus on the tanks. Unfortunately, the Blood Knight will also produce more threat than the other Death Knight specialization. Moreover, like the tanking Blood Knight, if the Knight's damage is stopped up somehow, his utility and survival goes down the tubes.

PVP: In PVP, the Blood Knight keeps himself and his allies alive while contributing to the deaths of his or her enemies. The Blood Knight should be a dire threat in battle, leading many successful zerg and charge attempts. However, the Blood Knight must be in melee range in order to deal most of his or her damage and almost all of his or her healing prowess. This means that the worst thing that can happen to the PVP Blood Knight is to be snared or slowed down, because then the Blood Knight will no longer be able to succeed in his PVP role. Playing a gnome or human is a good way of getting around this.. but that's only a tool that can be used by Alliance players. Another Blood Knight ability that is useful in PVP is "Heart Strike" which prevents its targets from benefiting from any haste effects -- which is lethal for many. Weaknesses: Warriors and Mages.

Frost
Tanking: Frost Knights tank by slowing down enemies' attacks through various talents, and by slowing down or even stopping their movement, making them less dangerous to party members. This gives healers additional time to keep the Frost Knight alive. Moreover, the Frost Knight has the best Runic Power management skills of any death knight. Frost Knights use a mix of ranged and melee powers, and have less of the glaring weaknesses (but also less of the great strengths) of Blood and Unholy tanks. Their "Lichborne" skill allows them to avoid Fear effects, but they are very susceptible to Disarm abilities.

PVE DPS: With talents to allow them to produce extra Runic Power and to preserve their existing Runic Power, Frost Knights are able to keep us a stunning array of extra attacks. This is largely due to their use of the ability "Frost Strike," which is the only Death Knight melee weapon attack that does not require an active Rune to use. A Frost Knight, then, can spam attacks faster than any other Death Knight. It is in the PVE DPS Frost Knight's best interest to carry a large two-handed weapon rather than dual-wielding.

PVP: The Frost Knight's PVP niche is its large number of movement slowing or stopping effects, coupled with its devastating Obliterate finishing move. Slowed PVP players are, of course, easy pickings for rogues, warriors, feral druids, enhancement shamans, and other Death Knights. The Frost Knight's chilling effects also make it lethal in combat with other melee classes, while his or her ranged effects also allow for a bit of caster control. The Frost Knight's enemy? Disease cleansers and Hunters.

Unholy
Tanking: The Unholy Knight's best tanking role is the anti-caster tank. With multiple ways of stopping casting coupled with a powerful "Anti-Magic Zone" that protects from incoming spells, the Unholy Knight can mitigate more magic damage than any pre-WLK tank thought was ever possible. Also, added talents in "Blood Boil" and "Death and Decay" make AOE tanking a breeze for the Unholy Knight. The Unholy Knight's tanking nemesis is any purely physical-damage oriented bosses, against which the Unholy Knight's powerful anti-magic will be of little use.

PVE DPS: Unlike the other two trees, the Unholy Knight is much more comfortable as a ranged caster. With many summoning abilities -- vermin, ghouls, and gargoyles -- as well as an array of ranged spells -- death coils, blood boils, and corpse explosions -- the Unholy Knight is not as dependent on being up close and personal with his or her prey. The Unholy Knight lacks the survival skills of the Blood and Frost Knights, however, unless magic damage is in play. All in all, however, the PVE DPS Unholy Knight is an excellent blend of fighter and caster, and can easily prove a great ally later in a fight, when friendly corpses can be animated and enemy corpses exploded.

PVP: The PVP Unholy Knight is a much more defensive or support role than the other two Trees. The Unholy Knight is at home on defense, hiding behind a magic shield and using his or her ranged abilities to avoid bringing the fight to the enemy. Quite literally, the Unholy Knight can frequently pull its targets right into melee range, ending their lives with a few well-placed shots. The Unholy Knight is aided by a pet-bar-enhanced ghoul, who does much of the dirty work outside of the magic shield and is easily replaced with the corpse of a friend or enemy. Finally, the Unholy Knight's prowess is supplemented by his or her summoning and AOE abilites. Weakness: Physical combatants with lots of HP or disease cleansing abilities -- Paladins.

Professions---------------------------------------------
Everyone wants to be professional! But with the dawn of the Death Knight and the upcoming changes to the professions, choosing a profession set can be hard. This is particularly true when one remembers that the Death Knight might overlap some of the benefits that a particular profession may give you. In this section I will try to be brief (compared to the above) and give you a quick rundown of the benefits and overlaps of each profession.

Alchemy
Pros: Allows you to make potions and elixirs, as well as transmuting Eternal Essences. The new ability Mixology allows you to gain an added effect from your elixirs. The WLK Endless Potions can be used once every 3 minutes and inside Arenas.
Cons: You don't need mana potions, seeing as you have no mana. This applies to all the other kinds of mana potions. Also, other than the small bonus from Mixology and the Endless Potions, there is no benefit in being an alchemist if you have a good alchemist on hand.

Blacksmithing
Pros: You can make some plate armor and bladed weapons for yourself. You can also add sockets to your gear, which is beneficial in PVE. **It's not clear whether Blizzard will be continuing the BOP Blacksmithing Armors or Weapons as found in TBC**
Cons: **It's not clear that we'll be getting cool BOP Blacksmith Equipment.** And Blacksmithing is so hard to level.

Enchanting
Pros: It's enchanting. As an enchanter, you can enchant your rings.
Cons: Many Weapon enchants are pointless because you'll be rune-chanting your weapon anyways. Exceptions might be in PVE DPS or some PVP specializations. Also, the new BOP wands will be useless for you.

Engineering
Pros: Engineering will be great in WLK. It will be able to make you a vast array of tools, the awesome BOP headpieces, and even mobile Auction Houses and Mailboxes. Most awesomely, the engineering items such as parachutes and rocket launchers now take the form of item enchants, which will allow you to use them without nerfing yourself down to cloth.
Cons: But they will prevent you from enchanting your items, which probably means that these particular upgrades will be mostly useful in PVP/Arena only.

Pros: You gain an ability called "Deciphering." Too bad nobody knows what it is. There's a chance you gain a fourth rune slot. But nobody knows about that, either.
Cons: The big myth about Inscribing is that it's terrific for Death Knights. It's not -- you can't use the Off-hand books, and the low-end cards don't help you level up seeing as you're already level 55. Like Alchemy, there doesn't seem to be much benefit in being an inscriber as opposed to having an inscriber. If you don't have access to one, by all means get one. But it's not the supreme Death Knight profession by a long shot.

Jewelcrafting
Pros: Allows you to make awesome PVP/PVE DPS trinkets and up to 3 special epic-level "Prismatic Gems" for your gear.
Cons: --

Leatherworking
Pros: Not really anything. You get to make Drums and bracer upgrades, which are okay, but the rest is going to waste.
Cons: You don't use leather or mail.

Tailoring
Pros: Not really much. You can make special threads for your cloaks and pants.
Cons: You don't use cloth.

Gathering
Pros: You can have more than one gathering profession and just sell mats for money. Go Mining/Herbalism for a Tank and Mining/Skinning for everyone else.
Cons: You don't make anything or get special upgrades.

Yes, this was a wall of text. Feel free to discuss or debate anything I've said!

Last edited:
i've seen posts on reputable sites claiming that it would be logical to see the dk take over wow. one guy said he made it though 60-70 in outlands w/o ever getting below 90% health. there are 5 dk heroics and talks of dk only raids.

have u seen nerfs that have limited the overpowered features of the dk? (ie #1 dps, best tank, and no need for healers)

They did come into the beta world rather Overpowered and that was brought down significantly.

One of the prime things that contributed to the "Death Knight overkill" myth is the fact that they start with a set of rare and epic level gear, something that no other level 55 would have access to -- at least not without a massive twinking program worth thousands of gold. That means that, yes, the average Death Knight at level 55-60 is in fact more powerful than any other class during those levels, and will not suffer things like having level 22 bracers up until level 70 -- something my shaman had to deal with.

The other facet to look at is the class mechanic of vampirism, which certain Death Knights -- fully specced Blood Knights -- employ. This playstyle would be somewhat akin to a Warlock who uses Siphon Life, Corruption, Curse of Agony, and Drain Life while using a Voidwalker to hold aggro... it's very possible, if you're careful, to go from 60-70 without dropping below 90% health (except when Life Tapping.) I know, I did it from 40-55 on my lock. That's not to say that the Blood Knight or Death Knights in general are overpowered, it's just how they work. A Blood Knight is still able to be overwhelmed and destroyed by a) large groups of enemies, b) CC, or c) Mortal Strikes. And, I should add, when a Blood Knight is overwhelmed, he's most likely dead. 5 Blood Knights may have been able to run Heroics without healers in Beta, but I'll guarantee that they never took down Anzu -- his AOE stun would be lethal... (and yes, I know they couldn't fight him at all because of the lack of them being druids to summon him.)

I guess we'll have to see how Death Knights play out in the next two weeks. They will definitely seem overpowered (or underpowered) because of their unfamiliarity, but that will change over time. I don't think personally that they'll be any worse than the new Ret pallies.

So what got you into an essay writing mode? Or are you training to be a technical writer??? Just kidding. Nice write up with lots of time invested. I have seen freshman college essays with not near as much content and without getting anywhere.

It would appear that the DK is the way to go and may well the pvp toon to dominate for a while. Although I was not in WoW in the BC expansion, it would seem that the DK will impact the game much greater than the Shaman and personally the shammy is extremely tough to play well. I will be interested to see how the DK fares over time.

Possibly because I was avoiding writing an essay at the time?

It bugs me how I can't write 8 pages on the book of Romans but can write 6 on Death Knights. And I was holding back.

LOL! I understand that. Just wait and see how much you can write on Romans AFTER taking a minor in Koine Greek. Then you should be able to do miles and miles of minutia that few will want to read. ie - how the tense of the participle makes a difference in the meaning of a phrase. I love Romans...the Gospel according to Paul.

With reference to your write-up on blood knight - If they are truly vulnerable to slowing actions, wouldn't hunters also be tough against them? I love taking on war's / pally's by kiting them all over the place. Between an ice trap and concussive shot, they stay at around 50% run speed.

Just a question, I have no practical experience at the moment.

Actually, looking back at what I've seen, Hunters should be challenging for pretty much every Death Knight spec.

/offtopic

I'm not taking Greek, although doing my research makes me wish I at least knew a little of it. As for a WoW break, for the most part this week and last I've just been on to learn a new glyph and that's it.

/offofftopic

a point to add that i don't think has been taken into account.

It was Beta. The point of a Beta is to test the deathknight. Not necessary test that it is fair to be used in bg but to test the spells, the system, work out the bugs. I would not be surprised if there were MASSIVE Death Knight nerfs between Beta and the actual release because Blizzard wanted people playing deathknights and for them to get into northrend as well, having the class massively overpowered would make them easy to level and even more attractive for everyone in the Beta to play one.

Precisely. Also, specifically, the point of a beta is to test things. You test things when you don't know how they work. So it is almost guaranteed that Death Knights would either hit the beta as drastically overpowered or underpowered. It would be very odd if they hit the beta on par with everyone else.

If Blizzard is having to tweak Paladins and Mages for balancing right now, which are classes that we're all familiar with, how much more tweaking would a class that nobody is familiar with take?

Note: Blizzard just took down the beta servers... that probably means that the Death Knight is more or less balanced now.

Last edited:
hunters i wouldnt say are the best against them... because they can stop the hunters dead in their tracks... Bm hunters will have a distinct advantage against them because of BW. I fought against a couple of them in a private server as a hunter and it was ok. I mean the amount tehy can hit you is insane and with things like the bone shield it isn't pretty.

Being a Christian guild, I thought I'd give people some heads up. The DK content when you first start before you can enter the rest of the world is very, very dark. For all intents-and-purposes, you will be playing an "evil" character doing "evil" things. Once the story plays out, then everything is like the rest of WoW.

Some may not like the starting story line. So you are now armed with knowledge :)

Other than that, the DK class is an interesting one with interesting mechanics. It is not a play style that I ever attached to in beta, but if you'd like a change from the "normal" wow class mechanics, you should enjoy the class :)

Being a Christian guild, I thought I'd give people some heads up. The DK content when you first start before you can enter the rest of the world is very, very dark. For all intents-and-purposes, you will be playing an "evil" character doing "evil" things. Once the story plays out, then everything is like the rest of WoW.

Yes - I've seen a video of it and discussed with John. The questline where you run around killing innocent, screaming, cowering townsfolk really disturbed me. Honestly, I won't be rolling a DK for that reason. It's not crazy horrible to me, but I won't play a toon that I won't let my kids play.

Playing on a private server hardly counts... people put up private servers to escape the rules that Blizzard sets up, and so they are rampant with people bending more rules than just the 15.99. Also, they tend to be behind the times in balancing.

Connor: I actually find that the story of Death Knights, being redemptive, is actually preferable to, say, the story of Arthas's fall. But, having not actually played through it yet, I'll see how it goes. If I find it "too evil," I'll set it down.

Bob: I can certainly say I respect your determination to live with the same standards you have for your kids.

The intent of my post is just to warn people :)

I myself could play through it, and I actually did twice. I found 3 quests particularly disturbing, and one is what is mentioned above. You have to kill "innocents" while they cower in fear of you.

However, I would hate for someone to start a DK and run through some of what it offers and then suddenly realize some of the quests you have to do are just plain evil in nature, because after all, in the beginning your DK is a member of the scourge before the "redemption".

Last edited:
I can, and do, sometimes read darker fiction (if you read much fiction in German by German authors, you don't have much choice, as they don't necessarily believe in a happy ending, especially in their historical fiction). But I know its fiction. I would have little problem following the story line through to a more normal, if not exactly happier ending.

That said, I won't be running a DK, as I have too many other toons I already enjoy. I will be happy to support the other four DK's in my group, however *grin* (referring to the 4 or 5 dk instance runs) as there will probably little else running around for a while.

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention:
As of the 3.03 patch, humans have their racial +10% reputation back. Thus, if you're planning on making the DK your main character (as I am,) you probably want to choose human just for that.
However: Blizzard has said they think the alliance racial is OP because it will make all DKs humans on the alliance side (but what about Orcs??) so make sure to read your WLK changes very carefully -- they may remove the +rep racial yet.

Back