Being saved

Hm...I kinda put this on the "Are Catholics Christians" topic.

There are apparently TWO definitions for "Christian" seen on this board.

1) The technical Christian: One who says things and does things that are Christian. Institutionally Christian, this term of "Christian" is a title given by humans for humans, based upon social acknowledgement.
2) The "Saved": Those that God allows into heaven; those who believe in Jesus to be Christ and Savior. According to Christianity, these are the "True Christians", and can be only determined by God. Humans cannot judge the heart, but God can.

Publicly admitting faith is what makes you an institutional Christian, but according to the doctrines by with the faith is admitted, being "Saved" has to do with your beliefs and trust in God rather than your public and doctrinal orientation.

This, it seems, is the reason that there is all this misunderstanding between these arguments...the term "Christian" for believers is apparently different from the term "Christian" for unbelievers...forgive me if i am mistaken, this is just an observation...I just hope this clarifies a few things.

Last edited:
But as fellow humans we can't tell who's a "true" christian or not. And I think alot of people think their "true" christians but arn't.

I don't think anyone's answered this question yet,
But can a "True" christian move away from christ. Can he have questions, that push him away from the church. Or is it once a "true" christian always a true christian.

Two theories on that one Gandhi.

1. The person who turns from God was never really saved.
2. The person who turns from God is still saved, but is "backslidden".

I don't know which is right, or if it's a case by case basis, but then it's not for me to try to figure out. God knows our hearts, he'll sort us all out in the end.

Would you mind defining "backsliding"?

Is it truly so inconceivable to you that a person could be "saved" and yet turn from God?

Is it truly so inconceivable to you that a person could be "saved" and yet turn from God?

You can not be saved and turn away from God. That is a contradiction. The only way to be saved is by turning toward God. You can not get to heaven if you turn away from Him. The only way to God is through His son Jesus Christ.

John 14:6 (KJV)
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

backslidden is a good word for my brothers examble

backslidden

Backslide \Back`slide"\, v. i. [imp. Backslid; p. p. Backslidden, Backslid; p. pr. & vb. n. Backsliding.] [Back, adv. + slide.] To slide back; to fall away; esp. to abandon gradually the faith and practice of a religion that has been professed.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Now we're talking, thanks!

Now tackle this question:

Then how can anyone know if they were "truly" saved if it's conceivable for any Christian to turn away (or backslide) from God?

I don't believe baptism is neccesary. Just look at the theif on the cross. As for drugs and things like that, read 1 Cor. 13:16-17. We all know that drugs and alchohol hurt your body, so thats why it matters if you do drugs and the like.

At 1 point or another EVERYONE will do something that God will not like and you would think your moving farther away from him but you arent, he forgives just as if you didnt do anything as long as you ask for his forgiveness.

$hane said:
At 1 point or another EVERYONE will do something that God will not like and you would think your moving farther away from him but you arent, he forgives just as if you didnt do anything as long as you ask for his forgiveness.

and repent...don't forget that part :)

Back