Being saved

Gandhi

I have a question about being saved.
If a christian moves away from christianity, were they ever saved, and excepted christ. Or did they never except christ in the first place.

If a christian moves away from christianity, were they ever saved, and excepted christ. Or did they never except christ in the first place.

that is a very tricky question to address, because we do not know the heart of man

Do you need to be baptized to be saved?

Water baptized or spirit baptized?

gen

There is a huge difference. Water baptism is an outward representation of what we are to do when we get saved. It represents of the dying of ourselves and the new life that we begin. Spirit baptism is the true baptism it is what happens inside of mans heart.

Gen's answer is right on. We don't know mans heart only God does. When we become Christians we become children of God. That is exactly what we are His children and like children we need to be taught the right way to go.

Example: I have three children and all of them are young. If I tell them not to touch the stove because it is hot and it could burn them and they do it anyway, does not make them any less my children. It is the same way with God. If we as his children stray yet are repentive about the situation we are no less Christian.

D.

Sorry to break the train of thought here, but i just saw Priceless' picture for the first time and you have a very cute baby......Ok game on Wayne..game on Garth

baptism is NOT neccessary as far as ive read biblically. some churches use the bible to say it is. however some churchs say that wine is bad which i disagree with becuase Jesus made wine...... in any case its just a minor difference in opinion however ive just found so much more references to baptism not saving you. also i can use my brother as a fine illustration on the other question: my brother likes drugs (cant afford it but does it rare occassion), and he is an alcholic.... yet he still professes and i qoute and i was there " ya know mom n dad, i never stopped believing that Jesus died for my sins, ever since i was little, i just Disagree with him about my life-style" ....... well .... he still professes faith yet his attitude and heart are not in tune with God. however i beleive if a man (or women) dies and is not right with the Lord, whether or not salvation was a part of their lives at one point or another, will not be able to go to Heaven

edit: that really is a cute baby, ive seen some.... coughuglycough ones but that ones really cute

??
People who drink, or do drugs don't truly believe in go, and won't go to heaven? I don't see how lifestyle has anything to do with it.

Do u believe a person can truly believe in christ, and then move away from the church? Lets pretend that he was truly saved.

??
People who drink, or do drugs don't truly believe in go, and won't go to heaven? I don't see how lifestyle has anything to do with it.

Do u believe a person can truly believe in christ, and then move away from the church? Lets pretend that he was truly saved.

That is a good question. Not everyone who moves away from the church or their Christian walk remain a Christian. The ones who make mistakes because they don't know any better aren't going to be turned away. However, if you are doing it deliberatley and have no repentance about it then yes you can fall away. Again it is the whole thing about the heart. Only God knows.

Atown you are right you don't need to be baptized to be saved. I should have clarified that.

When your baptised as a kid do u really understand what your getting your self into.
I had finished my first year tests towards conformation, when I started questioning religion.

Gandhi said:
When your baptised as a kid do u really understand what your getting your self into.
I had finished my first year tests towards conformation, when I started questioning religion.

It really depends on how old you are and if someone actually sat down and talked with you and explained what exactly it is that you are doing.

Well my baptism was before I was 1. And comunion when u're 10, do u fully understand what your getting into, or are u just following your parents without question.

I think some are following after but some actually search out the answers like you are doing. That is what my husband did.

He got tired of doing everything because it was what his parents believed and wanted to know for himself. So he asked questions.

Honestly, Gandhi, if someone feels that his/her parents basically forced him/her to to partake in Christian activities without really checking if it's the child's will, that is wrong on the parents' behalf.
Saying "You HAVE to go to church" or "you HAVE to take communion" is, in my opinion, perhaps the WORST way to raise a child in Christianity. My parents never said such; they gave me the choice, told me what Christianity is, and let me decide on my own will. I chose Christianity, and I chose church.

Chrisitianity is not only about obeying; it's CHOOSING to obey with countless other choices to choose from. If Christianity is the ONLY choice as many parents make of it, then that is legalism and tyranny (we see LOTS of that these days); Christianity was never meant to be anything like that.
Baptism and communion are merely symbols of spiritual renewal; and people can bear false symbols just as a spy can wear a disguise. A person can be FORCED to wear a symbol he/she doens't want as well, and baptism/communion would fall into category according to your case.
Baptism is one thing Christians do, but that in itself does not make a person a Christian. Christianity is about CHOICE. Sadly, my fellow "Christians" occasionally beg to differ...

Azzie said:
Honestly, Gandhi, if someone feels that his/her parents basically forced him/her to to partake in Christian activities without really checking if it's the child's will, that is wrong on the parents' behalf.
Saying "You HAVE to go to church" or "you HAVE to take communion" is, in my opinion, perhaps the WORST way to raise a child in Christianity. My parents never said such; they gave me the choice, told me what Christianity is, and let me decide on my own will. I chose Christianity, and I chose church.

Chrisitianity is not only about obeying; it's CHOOSING to obey with countless other choices to choose from. If Christianity is the ONLY choice as many parents make of it, then that is legalism and tyranny (we see LOTS of that these days); Christianity was never meant to be anything like that.
Baptism and communion are merely symbols of spiritual renewal; and people can bear false symbols just as a spy can wear a disguise. A person can be FORCED to wear a symbol he/she doens't want as well, and baptism/communion would fall into category according to your case.
Baptism is one thing Christians do, but that in itself does not make a person a Christian. Christianity is about CHOICE. Sadly, my fellow "Christians" occasionally beg to differ...

hhmm..a lot was said here. I'm not sure I understand all of what you are saying. Are you saying that if a 7 year old says he does not want to go to church today and the parents make him go that it is legalism and tyranny? I hope not...if the same child says I do not want to go to school should we make him? Or if he decides he shouldn't have to do chores anymore do we let him off the hook? Of course not! Children need guidance from their parents. Children cannot make meaningful decissions like that on their own.

If you are talking about 16 or 17 years old, then I would tend to agree with you more. However, if a parent has done their job right the young adult will end up choosing the right path anyway. There may be a time of rebellion but they are usually short lived.

Azzie said:
Christianity is about CHOICE. Sadly, my fellow "Christians" occasionally beg to differ...

I'm not sure what this is...

If it means that anyone who believes in predestination is a "Christian" and not a Christian then your making a very sweeping generalization and judging the hearts of a lot of us. A small list of people that would fall into this category are: John Calvin, C. S. Lewis, Martin Luthar, Augustine, Charles Spurgeon, etc...I would be on that list as well..of course I do not claim to be on caliber with any of those men :)

Did I understand you correctly or am I way off base?

Im not sure how to use this quoting system, so i'll just use quotation marks...

Originally Posted by Didasko: "Did I understand you correctly or am I way off base?"

You're not off base at all; I just think i didnt word that very well...:p
Yeah, I would agree that my statement would apply better to 16-17 years olds when they've basically developed a thinking mind on their own. I just felt that the method of bringing up children in Christianity these days is too often presented as a chore and a pain...so if a parent "has done their job right", as you said, I'd agree with you.

About my choice statement...I realize now I'm tapping into an argument of predestination...I didn't really mean to do that, but looking at the way i wrote it, I'd have to say I'm sorry for making it seem like I was judging people.

But I'll give my own opinion on predestination anyway: I believe God KNOWS what choices we make that will lead us to heaven or hell, but I do not believe that He specifically CHOOSES who goes to heaven or hell, even though He KNOWS.
Just as a genius watching 2 people play chess can predict their moves, so God can see what each person will do with his/her own life. Yet that doesn't mean the genius watching would intervene unless asked to do so. See what I'm getting at? God knows our choice, but still lets us choose them. Thats why not everyone is Christian!

I just believe that choice is an essential quality in Christianity; God wants us to choose HIM out of an infinite number of options there are in the world.

Anyway, I was mainly addressing the significance of baptism and communion...sorry about implying tangeant things...:p

I'm not saying my parents forced me to go to church when I was young. But as a kid do u relally fully understand what your signing up for. As a kid u follow your parents, they know whats right or wrong, so u don't question them.
That choice af being a christian is when u go through your conformation. Thats what u go through, and make that choice to be catholic (christian). Its like graduation in the catholic church.

Back