Are Catholics Christians

How many people have really excepted christ and how many just pretend.
And I believe its also on your actions, how u treat the people around u. And I think that speaks more about who the person really is. If a person needs help, is it arms open or, is it put them aside and tell them u'll pray for them.
Or do u think just because u excepted christ u have that free pass.

Gandhi,

Very true. There is such a thing as people with a 'said' faith vs a 'real' faith.

And using the excuse of 'accepting' Jesus as your savior doesn't give you a 'free ticket' to do what you want.. so we agree there.

But despite these important areas of agreement, there are significant differences which separate evangelicals and Catholics. For example, while Catholics support the authority of the Bible, they also assert that the unwritten traditions of the Roman church are just as authoritative. In fact, that’s the reason scores of practices and beliefs which have no basis in Scripture at all are accepted by Catholics as “gospel truth” — practices like prayers for the dead and beliefs such as the infallibility of the pope. This lies in stark contrast to the evangelical position, which asserts that the canon of Scripture alone is the supreme standard and is the authority for all Christians. In fact, affirming otherwise compromises the very supremacy of the Bible as the Christian’s rule of faith (2 Tim. 3:16).

Another major issue dividing evangelicals and Catholics has to do with the question of justification. Classical Catholicism holds the view that salvation involves a combination of faith and infused righteousness. This means that God’s grace gives us the capability to become righteous, and enables us to perform good works by which we can receive God’s forgiveness. Evangelicals, on the other hand, believe that salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone, and in Christ alone (Rom. 4:5; Eph. 2:8-9). To put it in perspective, we are saved by grace, but saved unto good works.

Well, in spite of the vast differences between Catholics and evangelicals, I believe our points of agreement provide us with common ground through which we can share and discuss the gospel in love and with understanding.

hescominsoon said:
You are incorrect. We know who is going to heavena nd who is going to hell. This is one of the simplest things in the Bible. if you hve accepted Christ as your Saviour your going to heaven..if you don't you're off to hell.

What Christians DON'T do this?

If Catholics or Mormons aren't considered "Christian", yet still accept Christ as their savior, they're going to heaven?

I don't understand how you can be anything remotely resembling a Christian and not accept Christ as your savior. Even sects that you have labeled as nonChristian Christians accept Christ as their savior.

Do u think christians should seperate themselfs from the catholic church to truly be christian?

Would someone mind addressing this?

Dark Virtue said:
What Christians DON'T do this?

If Catholics or Mormons aren't considered "Christian", yet still accept Christ as their savior, they're going to heaven?

I don't understand how you can be anything remotely resembling a Christian and not accept Christ as your savior. Even sects that you have labeled as nonChristian Christians accept Christ as their savior.

Oo...what i noticed is that there are TWO definitions for "Christian" on this forum. One definition is what humans and other people call Christian, and the other is one that is Saved, also known as the "True" Christian. I think i may have contributed to this problem...

Hmm...going along with that, here goes:

Anyone can look like a "Christian," by going to church, praying with people, etc...
but not everyone is Saved. We can only see and judge what we perceive to be Christian or not Christian, but only God can decide who is Saved.

In Christianity, a person is "saved" if he/she believes that Jesus is the Son of God who died for our sins; the Apostle's Creed sums it up pretty well, I would say...even though it IS vague. The details of whether or not God is a Trinity and such, in my opinion, don't have anything to do with whether a person is "Saved."

So, Mormons and Catholics can be "Saved," but not necessarily what we call "Christian."

What I'm implying is: "Christian" is a human term; BEING "Saved" is a decision of God. I hope that clarifies some things....

(See my post on "Being Saved")

Last edited:
Azzie said:
Oo...what i noticed is that there are TWO definitions for "Christian" on this forum. One definition is what humans and other people call Christian, and the other is one that is Saved, also known as the "True" Christian. I think i may have contributed to this problem...

The problem is there are WAY more than two.

The definitions are created from whatever denomination/belief system the definer believes in.

That's why you have people claiming Mormons aren't Christian.

Thanks for underscoring my point Kev.

Let me ask you this, do you believe that NOT ONE Mormon will make it into the Kingdom of God?

It depends on each person. I can't see into the hearts of each or how strongly/loosely they hold to their doctrines. Sure a Mormon CAN enter the kingdom of God; it just depends on what exactly he/she believes. It's not every person socially defined as a "Mormon" comletely and only believes in the set doctrines of what a Mormon should be. The decision is up to God.

Judging who goes to heaven or hell by human wisdom is a NO NO! (muahaha.) We CAN, however, decide who appears false and try to bring the person back to Christ. Christianity should be characterized by embraces, not pointed fingers. The latter is obviously the more accepted definition; that's a mistake that some of us (as a whole) have been admitting for 2000 years.

Besides, let me emphasize this a bit more: the word "Christian" is completely man-made and has ABSOLUTLEY no divine meaning to it.
It's the thing that is within certain members of those who fit in this word's definition that's divine. The bearing of this thing that is divine within each person is what makes the members within the definition of "Christian" truly saved.
In other words, what you're trying to define, DV, actually has very little to do with us at all... :eek:

So why do we use this word Christian, if it's so controversial? Haha, well we have to use SOME word to describe ourselves! problem is, ALL definitions and words get messed up when dealing with the billions of people hearing it. So, might as well stick to the word everyone recognizes since no word we choose to define ourselves will have a good result anyway...*sob*

Last edited:
Back