Are Catholics Christians

Gandhi

Since I haven't stired anything up in a while, I thought we should have a discussion on catholism.
Since I know there are a few senior toj members who see catholism as being seperate from christianity, I wanted to know y, and how u came to this conclusion.

It's kinda saddening that christianity is being split in 2, catholicism and orthodox are actually one of the reasons why christianity got spread across Europe after the romans was defeated. I just don't get why these christian braches won't get along, they all follow God and Jesus.

And what DV asked, I truly hope that catholics don't go to Hell, I actually admire catholicism most, they know style, even I was a catholic before I became enlighted.

Last edited:
Christianity isn't split in two, if only it were that easy. Christianity has been torn into many many different threads, all of whom believe they are correct and consider other denominations to be incorrect.

Oh hescomin, I'm really interested in your opinion.
Y do u think catholics arn't christians.
And this is the religious discussion, every thread stirs something up.

In my opinion I think they try to be but aren't really. The reason for this thinking is that they have tried to conform to so many other religions to get more followers they have allowed many occult and non-Christian rituals into their religion. The other thing that really gets me is how they pray to Mary, in my opinion Jesus ans God are the only people to be praid to. Some Catholics will claim that they only ask Mary to pray for them, but Jesus Himslef said he wouldn't ask the Father (God) on our behalf, so why do they think Mary will?

Last edited:
[toj.cc]phantom said:
In my opinion I think they try to be but aren't really. The reason for this thinking is that they have tried to conform to so many other religions to get more followers they have allowed many occult and non-Christian rituals into their religion. The other thing that really gets me is how they pray to Mary, in my opinion Jesus ans God are the only people to be praid to. Some Catholics will claim that they only ask Mary to pray for them, but Jesus Himslef said he wouldn't ask the Father (God) on our behalf, so why do they think Mary will?

So what do you think is the fate of Catholics? Heaven or Hell?

Your question is designed to breed dissension among Christians. I find that disturbing but I will answer it anyway, because it should not cause any conflict among us. The answer to your question is not as simple as yes or no.

Many who call themselves catholic will go to hell. On the other hand, many who call themselves catholic will be in heaven when I get there:) Many who call themselves orthodox will end up in hell. But again many who call themselves orthodox will be in heaven when I get there. Many who call themselves protestants will end up in hell. And yet many who call themselves protestants will be in heaven when I get there.

God sees a mans heart and judges accordingly. Who are we to judge a mans heart? I have many differences with the catholic church as an institution, but I know catholics who are on fire for Christ. I have differences with the orthodox institution, but I have an orthodox friend who loves Jesus. I have differences with many protestant denominational institutions (or sects as many of you like to call them), but I happen to be a protestant and know many protestants who love the Lord.

The name of your church is not the important issue, the condition of your heart is. We Christians all belong to the same Church and Christ is the head of that Church.

1 Corinthians 1:10-17 is some great scripture that applies to this question.

1 Corinthians 1:12-13

"What I mean is this: One of you says, 'I follow Paul'; another, 'I follow Apollos'; another, 'I follow Cephas'; still another, 'I follow Christ.'
Is Christ divided?..."

We could use the words catholic, orthodox, and protestant in the place of Paul, Apollos, and Cephas and shed a lot of light on the subject at hand.

A house divided cannot stand...

We need to get beyond this and work together.

Rejoice over her, you heavens, you saints, apostles and prophets! For God has exacted punishment from her on your account.

Catholics do not pray to Mary as if she were God. Prayer to Mary is memory of the great mysteries of our faith (Incarnation, Redemption through Christ in the rosary), praise to God for the wonderful things he has done in and through one of his creatures (Hail Mary) and intercession (second half of the Hail Mary). The latter is addressed to Mary not as to a vending machine but a support person helping us to discern the will of God in our lives. Mary is a volunteer, highly recommendable and recommended, but not a mandatory and inescapable passage.

Didasko said:
Your question is designed to breed dissension among Christians. I find that disturbing but I will answer it anyway, because it should not cause any conflict among us. The answer to your question is not as simple as yes or no.

The last time I checked, there was ALWAYS been dissenssion among Christians. However, I agree with you that it is quite disturbing.

Many who call themselves catholic will go to hell. On the other hand, many who call themselves catholic will be in heaven when I get there:) Many who call themselves orthodox will end up in hell. But again many who call themselves orthodox will be in heaven when I get there. Many who call themselves protestants will end up in hell. And yet many who call themselves protestants will be in heaven when I get there.

God sees a mans heart and judges accordingly. Who are we to judge a mans heart? I have many differences with the catholic church as an institution, but I know catholics who are on fire for Christ. I have differences with the orthodox institution, but I have an orthodox friend who loves Jesus. I have differences with many protestant denominational institutions (or sects as many of you like to call them), but I happen to be a protestant and know many protestants who love the Lord.

The name of your church is not the important issue, the condition of your heart is. We Christians all belong to the same Church and Christ is the head of that Church.

1 Corinthians 1:10-17 is some great scripture that applies to this question.

1 Corinthians 1:12-13

"What I mean is this: One of you says, 'I follow Paul'; another, 'I follow Apollos'; another, 'I follow Cephas'; still another, 'I follow Christ.'
Is Christ divided?..."

We could use the words catholic, orthodox, and protestant in the place of Paul, Apollos, and Cephas and shed a lot of light on the subject at hand.

A house divided cannot stand...

We need to get beyond this and work together.

Thanks Didasko!

To put it simply, you are saying that it doesn't matter WHAT denomination you are, or what rules you follow, God will simply judge your heart when the time comes, correct?

If this is the case, then why all this hubbub over who is a "true" Christian and who isn't?

hescominsoon said:
HOwver, and this is one area where catholicism errs, after a person dies and goes to heaven(if they have accepted Jesus as their savior) they are not on this earth anymore. They souls/spirits are in heaven praising God. You cannot pray to a dead person and expect an answer as a dead person is unable to respond. The same applies to all fo the catholic saints. We humans once we die head to heaven or hell until the white throne judgement.

Actually I believe when in Heaven we will be able to travel to any where we want; the past, the future, other planets, other solar systems and to earth. Along will praising God.

Sheesh, the number of Christians keeps getting lower and lower.

Which of the most popular denominations, if any, do you consider Christian?

Let's remember that being a Christian is not tied to a certain denomination. It means being a member of the body of Christ which is accomplished by faith and trust in Jesus alone for the forgiveness of your sins.

The issue is and always will be whether one openly denies the essential doctrines of the Christian faith. So to answer the question originally posted, I think there are some Catholics that are genuinely saved, just as there are some that are not. However, this holds true accross each and every denomination.

Dark Virtue said:
The last time I checked, there was ALWAYS been dissenssion among Christians. However, I agree with you that it is quite disturbing.

lol...DV please don't intentionally try to twist my words to mean something you know I did not intent:)

Yes there has been dissension but what I wrote above was obviously addressed at Gandhi's attempt to cause dissension on this board. And Gandhi's attempt was what disturbed me:)

Dark Virtue said:
To put it simply, you are saying that it doesn't matter WHAT denomination you are, or what rules you follow, God will simply judge your heart when the time comes, correct?

If this is the case, then why all this hubbub over who is a "true" Christian and who isn't?

You missed the point (Was it intentional?...) and put a silly meaning to what I said. Did you not see the part about lots of people from each denomination going to hell? One thing you understood was that the denomination does not matter...agreed.

As to what rules you follow not being important...where did I write that? There are definitely rules that every Christian must follow. When someone becomes a Christian they give their lives over to Christ and attempt to follow his rules as closely as possible.

The judging of ones heart that you speak of is not as simple as you would like to make it. God is judging the heart to see if a persons Christianity is true or a false pretence. If you are not a 'true' Christian God will know.

So it has everything to do with being a true Christian not what denomination you are a member of.

hescominsoon said:
Catholocism itself is most assuredly not Christian since it puts regular Humans int he same league as Jesus which is most certainly not biblical.

hhmm...though I agree with much of what you post about catholicism, I do not agree with this. The catholic faith does not put regular humans in the same league as Christ. They do put Mary and the saints to high. Praying to Mary and the saints to intercede for you is silly. But Mary and the saints are not prayed to as God. Jesus is!

I suppose we're interested in which sects teach beliefs that will land you in hell then?

Granted that if a person belonged to a certain sect of Christianity but diverged from his church at a critical point that brought him into line with the "True Faith" (whichever that is) then of course he'd make the cut into heaven.

But given a platonic believer of each sect - what are the results?

The point is no one knows, who will go to heaven and who will go to hell. And when people go to heaven or hell u don't know what happens.
I believe that people that are close to u sometimes visit u, I've felt the presence of people sometimes.
If someone ever dies and comes back to clear this topic up that would be great, but I don't see that happening. Unless 2Pac is returning soon. :)

U know the weird part, I know a few catholics who think non catholics are not really christians.
I guess everyone has their own point of view, the only problem is no one can prove their right.

Back