‘Intelligent design’ faces first big court test

Dark Virtue said:
LOL, Edited for content;)
Thanks for posting that!

Exactly when are Christians going to rise up and tell Robertson to stuff it?

OR, do you guys support his views?

Personally I think he has become an embarrassment. The little issue in Dover is just a reflection of the American society in general.

I don't much care for the intelligent design thing anyway.

I'm more for full blown creationism taught straight from the Bible:)

Dark Virtue said:
LOL, holy crap!

Thanks for posting that!

Exactly when are Christians going to rise up and tell Robertson to stuff it?

OR, do you guys support his views?

It's hard, he's certainly welcome to express his own views as provided under the First Amendment.

However, apparently shortly after his advocacy of assassination for the President of Venezuela, Christian missionaries had their visas to the country revoked.

It'd be nice if a few prominent Christians came out and informed him of the consequences of some of his comments. Maybe James Dobson can use corporal punishment on him. Make it a pay-per-view event. All proceeds can go to charities. It'd be good stuff.

He is an embarrassment. Pat Robertson personifies why so many stereotype Christians as having a higher than thou attitude. I cannot believe that his heart is in the right place after hearing the things that come out of his mouth. He may think he is speaking for God, but God makes it very clear that those who speak in His name or falsely prophecy will be dealt with very harshly. Robertson is going down the wrong path and the sad thing is that he is influencing innocent lives with his inaccurate representation of our Lord.

You know, Pat Robertson kind of reminds me of Jonah. Although Pat has not had a ride in a whales gut, at least I dont think he has. He sure does seem to enjoy pronounceing impending judgement upon those who dont follow God. I bet he hates it when God doesnt wipe these places off the map like he thinks should happen.

He didn't make it through the Presidential election, that should have told him something of his popularity! However, the article states that he has one million viewers, that amazes me. I believe that is the only thing the televangelist lovers have to watch after BH!
Pat Robertson said:
“And don’t wonder why he hasn’t helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I’m not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that’s the case, don’t ask for his help because he might not be there,” he said.
He covered himself nicely, didn't he? Spoken like a true politician! Don't ask for God's help??? I wonder how many of his one million viewers are proudly shouting, "That's my preacher?"
I have always wondered while our government funds education, why we cannot have a choice of that education. Why can't we have government funded Christian schools?
IceBladePOD said:
It'd be nice if a few prominent Christians came out and informed him of the consequences of some of his comments. Maybe James Dobson can use corporal punishment on him. Make it a pay-per-view event. All proceeds can go to charities. It'd be good stuff.
I love it!!! Careful, FOX will hire you as a producer with thoughts like that!
He makes me so angry! This may answer the question of where people get that God works only by wrath, out to punish and strike us dead at any moment. It really is sad, for any possible stride we could make for the glory of God as a Christian witness, he sets us back for miles every time he opens his mouth.

The study of evolution, either religiously or scientifically should be an elective in school. It has no place in the main courses because of the vast differences in our society. As a parent I do not want the school system to discuss religion in mandatory classes. How can I be sure that the teacher will be objective enough to manage such a controversial topic.

silent worship said:
The study of evolution, either religiously or scientifically should be an elective in school. It has no place in the main courses because of the vast differences in our society. As a parent I do not want the school system to discuss religion in mandatory classes. How can I be sure that the teacher will be objective enough to manage such a controversial topic.

I am of the opinion that science should be taught either from an agnostic or deist point of view, since either one of those seems to be as neutral as you can get, religiously.

silent worship said:
How can I be sure that the teacher will be objective enough to manage such a controversial topic.
You have a point; when I made that statement I had only a handful of VERY particular schools in mind! Those Christian schools would never take the license it would take to get State funds if it meant them tampering with their teachings. State funding, in all actuality, would probably only present new sets of problems!

Anybody teaching evolutionary science as anything other than "The best answer we have for the available data." is giving their class a poor education.

Anybody teaching Intelligent Design AS "The best answer we have for the available data." needs to TAKE a class because he HAS a poor education.

I'm sorry if you find objective truth inconvenient - to quote the famous philosopher "And still it moves..."

Didasko said:
Personally I think he has become an embarrassment. The little issue in Dover is just a reflection of the American society in general.

I don't much care for the intelligent design thing anyway.

I'm more for full blown creationism taught straight from the Bible:)

And there's nothing wrong with that!

One of the problems is that ID'ers are Creationists in hiding. They're willing to disguise God as a nameless ID, to get people to take that one step closer to believing in God.

kraniac said:
I am of the opinion that science should be taught either from an agnostic or deist point of view, since either one of those seems to be as neutral as you can get, religiously.

I think what you mean to say is that science should be taught from a FREETHOUGHT point of view.

Science should NOT be taught from a religious point of view.

Remember the Dark Ages?

Marcylene said:
You have a point; when I made that statement I had only a handful of VERY particular schools in mind! Those Christian schools would never take the license it would take to get State funds if it meant them tampering with their teachings. State funding, in all actuality, would probably only present new sets of problems!

Separation of Church and State anyone?

Dark Virtue said:
And there's nothing wrong with that!

One of the problems is that ID'ers are Creationists in hiding. They're willing to disguise God as a nameless ID, to get people to take that one step closer to believing in God.

That's not entirely true though, there are several factions within the ID movement that don't necessarily agree with evangelical doctrine. Yes, some Creationists are using ID as a door wedge, but not everyone in the ID Movement is a Young Earth Creationist.

You're right, I didn't say that properly.

However, I believe what I said holds true for the Dover case. The textbook, Of Pandas and People, is a good example of that. It was a Creationist text that was was edited (ie, find and replace "God" w/ "Intelligent Designer") to make it an ID text. That's not exactly an honest, scientific approach now is it?

Dark Virtue said:
You're right, I didn't say that properly.

However, I believe what I said holds true for the Dover case. The textbook, Of Pandas and People, is a good example of that. It was a Creationist text that was was edited (ie, find and replace "God" w/ "Intelligent Designer") to make it an ID text. That's not exactly an honest, scientific approach now is it?

Yes, it failed to match the standard for truthful origins science set so resoundly by Haeckel's Embroys.

Ah yes, Science failed once and was caught so, therefore, all science must be self-serving and wrong.

Apply that to religion for a second...

That's that point of Science!

When it gets proven wrong, it ACCEPTS THE FACTS, then learns from its mistakes and moves on.

Can you say the same of Christianity? Uh, NO.

Dark Virtue said:
I think what you mean to say is that science should be taught from a FREETHOUGHT point of view.

Maybe. I wouldn't use that term since "Free Thought" has become nearly synonomous with Secular Humanism, which has unproven tenets that must be accepted by faith, just like any religious worldview. If you buy one of their Free Inquiry magazines, there's a sort of creed or statement of principles somewhere on the first few pages, and not all the principles are rational. In fact, SH has shifted their focus in the past few years from battling the Christian worldview, to battling the Skeptic one. Their faith in science and blind assertion of atheism have turned many agnostics and skeptics away from their organization.

Dark Virtue said:
Separation of Church and State anyone?
The State giving funds to religious schools would not violate SOCAS from my point of view. I wouldn't have a problem with Buddhist schools, Islamic schools, Christian Schools, Jewish schools, and Secular Humanism schools all being funded from state funds. It seems to me to be a good way to end a lot of the hostility going on in the public schools.

And besides, SOCAS was really more about preventing the government from setting up a mandatory state-sponsored church, such as England had for so long.

The real problem I see with setting up a bunch of different religious public schools is that there's always going to be some Jedi/Zoroastrian/Taoist kid who doesn't have a school to go to. So while it might be perfectly acceptable morally, it's hardly practical.

DV said:
Can you say the same of Christianity? Uh, NO.
That's a rather broad accusation, don't you think? Even the Catholic church has reformed since the Dark Ages. It just took them a *long* time.

Last edited:
Back