Writing Challenge for February

dorkelf

sticky plz ok thx

I pulled this challenge off the net from onerealstory.com:

In 300 words or less, use the following title to inspire your next piece of flash fiction: They Once were Wild

This thread is now in the SUBMISSIONS phase. Please reserve your critiques/votes until the CRITIQUES phase has been announced.

If you're on the fence about this - don't be! This is the easiest :D , most basic :) , least time consuming :eek: , least intimidating :p , least fattening :confused: , most compost-friendly method :eek: by which you can manage to write amazingly long sentences like this one but more importantly DO SOMETHING CREATIVE, share it with others and hopefully receive a little advice that will improve your writing!

:D

Circular stories are fun.

They once were wild. They slept naked under a blanket of stars during their time in the garden. They lived harmoniously sharing what the lord had provided. Every moment was a dedication to the love they shared for one another yet still they yearned for answers.

They were damned not for eating the fruit but rather for the act of defiance. After they ate from the tree they considered their old way of life quaint, no longer happy simply being with one another in the garden they moved on. Strange thoughts entered their minds, of clothing and toiling the earth and agriculture was born.

Agriculture spawned communities, communities built civilizations and from civilization slithered industry.

The naïve and happy days were gone, now they needed an explanation for everything. Their Gods once lived in the mountains until man ventured there, then they moved to the sky but when man finally passed that barrier they stopped searching and begin to argue about what was true when no proof could be found.

As society grew the wars could encompass the world. Great weapons of death that the ancients from the garden could not fathom were created. They survived the first two wars but it was said that should these weapons be used for a third any after that would be fought with stone clubs. So it came to pass, the world again was cleansed and the survivors entered the garden lacking knowledge of the past, forgetting the sins of their fathers.

They once were wild. They slept naked under a blanket of stars during their time in the garden. They lived harmoniously sharing what the lord had provided. Every moment was a dedication to the love they shared for one another yet still they yearned for answers.

A beautiful day for a drive. The top back and basking in sunshine as wind breezes and the sweet sounds of music fills my ears. Ah to be enveloped by emotions of freedom and serenity impervious to a day almost gone as my minds wanders through wonders that go by. Suddenly a pull to the right breaks perfection. I slow to a stop that reveals a low tire. I decide to limp back to a station verses jacking the car up and replacing the slow fading tire. Undaunted I cruise slowly back towards town determined to enjoy my freedom. I arrive at a mini mart at the edge of town and peruse the gas pumps in search of a air hose realizing there was none. Frustration rises like a homemade bread for I remember back when stations kept air close to the pumps. I park and enter the store to inquire as to why there was no air outside. The rep smiles in reply stating the air was to the side. I say thank you as my smile resumes. I pull my car around and see a yellow machine with its hose dangling. I gather the hose and notice the machine says insert seventy five cents. Flabbergasted at the greed and unscrupulous intentions for something that used to be free. I reach into my pockets to pull out lint as my freedom crumbles like crackers in bed for here I was with no money for air I breathe for free with a tire loosing it to be free again. Air has a price you see as I jack a car selfishly reminiscing back to a time when air was free for you and for me.

Seeing how there is no topic for March yet (and it doesn't look too likely to happen) and I didn't get the opportunity to join in on the February topic (since I joined in March), I'm responding to this topic. Thankfully this thread isn't locked yet.

Word count: 300 (not including the title phrase)

They once were wild...

Weylin gripped the handle of his father's sword in his hand. He struggled to lift the blade but its weight felt strangely heavy. He turned his head to look at Kegan, his best friend and most trusted commander. Blood soaked Kegan's tunic and dribbled from a wound on his head, his lips were twisted in a ferocious snarl. In his hand he clutched a crimson-stained battle axe. Behind him were the remnants of what had been dubbed Weylin's Wild. 150 men was all he had remaining when he entered this field of battle. He had started the campaign with over 1000.

Weylin blinked back blood and sweat from his eyes as he turned his head to survey the enemy. They were strewn across the field, slowly wandering back to their own lines. Many stopped, here and there, to help a wounded comrade or to take something of value from a dead body. He heard their hushed voices drifting across the field. The language was rough and unrecognizable. As Weylin's eyes cast about he noticed an enemy soldier standing about 20 feet away gazing at him with an expression of sorrow and pity. Weylin gripped his sword. He would not be pitied! He attempted to yell at the man but only a gurgle rose past his damaged throat. His body betrayed him - his sword slipped from his grasp and fell beside his body.

He turned his head again to look at Kegan. Kegan still bore the terrible snarl but his eyes were lifeless. Behind Kegan, the rest of his men lay in the grass quiet and unmoving. Weylin focused on a scarlet blade of grass in front of his eye and thought it looked ridiculous. "Grass is supposed to be green," was his last thought as his eyes closed.

Last edited:
Sorry, March has been a struggle at work to keep up with everything.. just like everyone else in these days of being expected to do a lot more with a lot less.

But I will take the opportunity to extend this challenge so I can enter it myself! We will enter it into critique for April and I'll get a new challenge posted.

BTW I am not really in charge here, just trying to help keep the ball rolling. :)
SO any time I am tardy in getting a challenge started or finishing one up, feel free to take the horse by the nose or whatever I'm too brain fried to write a coherent sentence tonight! :D

Back