Who's interested in commanding?

Tek7@Work

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
After I (finally) buy my PC upgrades and move my computer from my living to a desk in the bedroom (but still running a HDMI or VGA + audio cables through the wall to the TV), I plan on practicing both the Alien and Frontiersman Commander roles. That may yet be weeks or months into the future, but I thought I'd post to see who else is interested in playing Commander.

Once our unofficial NS2 server is up and running, we'll likely want a small handful of players ready to take the command chair or hive and lead their teams to victory. Who's interested?

I've already done it successfully a few times (I think I am past my derp stage) prior to the two games I played with you Tek. When I can play games freely again I'm fine with doing it if no one else wants it. I don't mind being a grunt or commanding, either way is fine. Though I do like a little variety in not doing one of them continually.

Last edited:
Related: Just scored my first victory as Alien Commander on the unofficial ToJ NS2 server. I'd like to take the credit, but there's no way I can; my teammates did an excellent job at defending our hives and expanding our reach. Still, feels pretty good to see that "Aliens Win" across the screen. My only regret is not taking a screenshot.

I just commanded for the first time. Thanks to NotCrazyDan for some guidance. I am still smack dab in the middle of the "derp phase" but I think I could get to like it after time.

I can't wait to get a desk and build the "wire tunnel" between the living room and the bedroom. It's awkward to play as commander from 10 feet away on a 46" HDTV. It'll be considerably easier on a 23" monitor at a desk.

In the meantime, do we have anyone else interested in playing as Kharaa Commander? It seems that very few are willing to jump in the hive and take command.

I tried being a Kharaa Commander the other day and I loved it. (It didn't hurt that we won both times, which I'm sure was because of my team mates) I'd be really interested in trying it out some more, RTS is perhaps my favorite genre, so it's familiar territory in a way.

I have not tried out commanding in a game yet, because I do not use the qwerty keyboard and the game seems to hate other keyboards. It does not let you switch the layout while in game, so I basically have to change my computers settings before starting up the game. Hopefully they create a way to modify the key bindings that can be used in game; I did find a way to do it for the explore, but that doesn't really help. I imagine I will be a decent commander as I mostly play SC2, and play as zerg. :)

Back