Which Artists Inspire/Influence You?

Kendrik

Staff member
While most folks I know don't want to be total copycats in their artistic endeavors, most seem to have artists they like a lot and can't help but be influenced by them.

Wanting to be a little more serious in my creative endeavors, and my fondness (despite natural/apparent talent) for comics, I started to ask myself which artists/mangakas those people would be for me.

So far, I'm honestly not sure who my top picks would be. I have had a fondness for Alex Maleev's work ever since I read the short Spider-Woman run he and Bendis did together (which, coincidentally, made me something of a Spider-Woman fan, too). I also find myself liking the art direction of Hokuto No Ken/Fist of the North Star.

Anyway! I got to wondering who some of your favorite artists are and who most inspires/influence any of your artistic efforts.

I don't mean to limit this to comics, of course; that's just my personal chief interest. Other visual mediums most certainly apply here. :D

I'm not much of a 2d artist, but I've liked the style of Bruce Timm for quite some time.

For 3d, I haven't quite settled on a style I lean towards.

Jack Hamm Christian and writer of the best how to draw books I've ever found (and I've looked through a lot).
William Bouguereau The most skilled figure painter I've ever seen. His flow of form and use of contrast are peerless.

Last edited:
For photography Bill Fortney inspires me, partially because he's a Christian and professes his faith through his photography blog.

For music I like to listen to Murexa for inspiration/relaxation. He does some really amazing stuff.

Back