What is a Saint?

Shyfroggy

My problem isn't believing in him....

My thought is that just because somebody claims to be a christian, it doesn't mean they are a saint....maybe we ought to back up and I should ask you what you define as a saint.

As far as I know. (I have only the dictionary to back this up) Saints are people that the Catholic church deemed "super Holy" and decided to saint. Saying liek that they were better than everyone else or something.. Not totally sure.

AS for me. I think of saints as Born again, Spirit Filled Testifying Children of the King! (But thats me... :D )

A "Saint" is a member of God's old and new covenant.
They are those who are consecrated to God.
They are people who are called out of this world to be God's own people.
They love and serve God.
They are teachers, preachers, and prophets.
The saints are the harvest.
The saints are the "Church".(1 Cor.1:2)
The saints are called to lead a life worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.(Col.1:10)

Although I am deemed a saint according to the word of God I consider myself to be a sinner and its not because that I am committed unto sin but because I mess up and sin each day. I don't sin on purpose but when I sin I pray and ask God to forgive me and to help me by renewing heart/mind as I read and hear His word.

The only day I will consider I'll be a saint is when I stand before God and hear Him say " Well done thy good and faithful servant enter into thy rest."

Last edited:
My problem isn't believing in him....

My thought is that just because somebody claims to be a christian, it doesn't mean they are a saint....maybe we ought to back up and I should ask you what you define as a saint.

God defines it quite thorughly in His Testimony to us :)

Colossians 1:3-29
We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints, For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world;and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:As ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellowservant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ;Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.

For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

And He is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight
:If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

John 1:12-13
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Romans 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Galatians 3
6Consider Abraham: "He believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness."7Understand, then, that those who believe are children of Abraham. 8The Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: "All nations will be blessed through you."9So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.

10All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law."11Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."12The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, "The man who does these things will live by them."13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree."14He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

15Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. 16The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed," meaning one person, who is Christ. 17What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. 18For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.
19What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator. 20A mediator, however, does not represent just one party; but God is one.

21Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Absolutely not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law. 22But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe.

23Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

26You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Jesus is and will always be the Only REAL Saint..And if He is Living in you by faith (past, present or future) in His name then you too share in His Sainthood :)

Consider Saul of Tarsus.. Who persecuted the Saints of God throughout Judea.. He was called to suffer many things in the name of the Lord Jesus..

His own choices in the matter of persecuting the Saints only went to convict him of His need for the Saviour when confronted by the Lord..

God is in control ALWAYS, and He always leads us in triumphant procession in Christ Jesus :D

Are there non-Catholic saints?

That is, are there people that non-Catholic Christians consider Saints? Other than the New Orleans Saints? (yes, it's football season!)

Galations 3
26You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Back