Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Abba San

Legacy of Elijah [LoE] - Proud Grandfather
For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them. Matthew 18:20 (NIV)

This is one of those great verses that is often misused. We generally hear this verse when we are having Bible study or prayer and ony a handful of people show up. "Well, we may be few but Jesus is here nonetheless." While that is true - that is not what this verse is about.

If you look at the context - immediately before Jesus has been talking about the person who sins against us and refuses to repent. Immediately after Jesus talks about the person who has been forgiven but refuses to forgive. In its context, this verse is saying that when two or three people come together to work out their differences or to make things right - He will be there - to help - to strengthen resolve - to soften hearts - whatever it takes - He will be there. Praise God for being there when we need Him most.

Yeah - we Christians often take verses out of their context. When we do we miss on some of the power of the verse. I like to think that Jesus is always with us - even when we are few - but especially - with an extra measure of grace - when we are trying to bring healing to relationships.

Back